Register now to get rid of these ads!

History single yellow spot light

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by statesblue, Nov 30, 2016.

1. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Yeah, my thought too..

porknbeaner and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

IMG_0827.JPG This photo from The V-8 Album, the accessory road light as it was called was a $5 option in 39.

lothiandon1940 and 55zephyr like this.
  3. A Boner

A Boner

Mount on the same side as the steering wheel, and then aim it to the center of your driving lane. Mounted as such, it is angled away from the on coming traffic. Not blinding drivers coming at you is a good idea.
    The reason there is a headlight height law is because, the lower the headlights are mounted, the more they shine into oncoming drivers eyes. Fog lights are usually mounted very low. Mounting one, not two, fog lights allows for the one fog light to be aimed like I stated above. A second light would mostly just annoy oncoming drivers. Mounting two is more for "balanced looks" than anything.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    porknbeaner likes this.
  4. rudestude

rudestude

I'm going with this trio of King Bee's on my '14 single seater Bob tailed T speedster build I'm doing , the plan is to have them all move with the steering......my brother found all three lights and the original King Bee's fog lamp switch hanging in a old barn he cleaned out[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kiwijeff and john worden like this.
  5. car doctor

car doctor

Single fog light left side for me, just like the look. 2015-12-23 14.16.45.jpg

41 C28, i.rant, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  6. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I only had one light :D

012.JPG

7. nutter_street_rodder

nutter_street_rodder
    from Nevis MN

and I put it on the right to light the shoulder up DSCN1148.JPG

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Fog light was used in damp areas that got a lot of fog. The fog reflects the light of your headlights back at you, making a white glare and reducing visibility. The yellow light is supposed to give less glare, and be mounted low so it goes under the fog. In theory you could see farther with a small amount of yellow light, which made less glare, than with your regular headlights. Also made less glare in the eyes of oncoming drivers.

They would be pretty useless on today's hiways at today's speeds, but on the regular roads of the 30s and 40s you could drive along at 20 or 30 MPH even in fog with reasonable safety.

9. Very cool beans here...The King Bee fog light is a hard one to come by these days.....But they sure look kool!

10. Wish I hadn't opened this thread, now I want one.
    We do get lots of fog in our country areas.

55zephyr likes this.
  11. I just happen to have 2 very nice original King Bee Fogs that I just had re-nickeled plated if ya are interested in one or 2. $150.00 each. PM me if interested

12. rusty valley

rusty valley

i believe the reason for one light was that the charging system could barely handle the headlights, so adding two more would put your ammeter pegged the wrong way. fords three brush system up to 1940 was weak, two brush from 40 on could at least make 35 amps, double that of the 28 to 40 three brush jobs

13. eddie1

eddie1

Great idea!

Flatblack 31 likes this.
  14. Nice headlights you got there. Do they have a brand name ?

15. nutter_street_rodder

nutter_street_rodder
    from Nevis MN

no name visible. Bought them at a yard sale. A guy had them on a tractor used for plowing snow. When I asked the price he said "$5" When I was reaching for my wallet he added "each"..... duh, no brainer!

55zephyr and lothiandon1940 like this.