Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest "Digger" Dan Horan Sr. RIP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Trouble Maker's Tea, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Trouble Maker's Tea

Trouble Maker's Tea

Drag Racing lost one of the good ones.

To all my dad's friends,
    My dad passed away yesterday unexpectedly at his home in Big Bear City. Due to the sudden and unexpected nature of his death, the San B ernardino County Coroner's office will be performing an autopsy to determine the cause of death. My dad truly loved the sport of drag racing and everyone involved with it and he was my single biggest fan and supporter. This is a tragic loss to our family. I would like to have a memorial at the March Meet 2017, on Thursday preceding the event. We will be monitoring his Facebook and posting updates as the situation progresses. Thank you.
    God Bless,
    Dan Horan Jr.

His Top Fuel car was the first fuel car I crewed on, and set the nitro hook in me.

horan1.jpg

bobwop likes this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Sincere sympathy goes out to you, and all of the Family, friends & fans - post more details & pics about his accomplishments when you are up to it.

3. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Dang. That's a difficult thing to deal with in the best of times. Prayers for the Horan family. R.I.P.

4. Never met him and didn't know him or his family at all, but he almost seems like a friend.
    Without Horan, I don't know if "nostalgia" nitro racing would even exist, probably not in the form we know.
    Horan was there almost from the beginning, and his participation over the years was a mainstay of digger and FC racing. Do you even remember a "nostalgia" event without the Horan's?
    R.I.P. , another great one lost.

5. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of Dan Horan in this difficult time. I used to read stories of his days as a driver in a number of local magazines here in the northwest. Always had a smile on his face win or lose. Once again my thoughts and prayers are with the family.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Trouble Maker's Tea likes this.
  6. Thoughts and prayers to the Horan family.

7. frank spittle

frank spittle

I really admired Dan for his devotion to Nostalgia Fuel racing. Watched him numerous times over the last 25 years. He was a friendly guy who seemed to always have a smile on his face.
    My condolences to his family.

8. bchctybob

bchctybob

Oh no, what a shame! A dedicated drag racer if there ever was one. R.I.P. "Digger Dan", you had more loyal fans than you could imagine. My sincere condolences to Dan Jr and the family.

9. Trouble Maker's Tea

Trouble Maker's Tea

From John Drummond
    A few thoughts about Dan Horan Sr. who we lost this week. "Curly" played an instrumental role in the growth of Goodguys/VRA racing in the 1990s. In the early '...90s, our Northern California Top Fuel shows were in need of cars. We couldn't fill an 8-car show with nitro burners and had to supplement with alky burners. So Pete Jensen and I took a ride down to Bakersfield to one of the early NDRA March Meets to recruit cars. So-Cal racers Dan Horan, Bob Hallock, Ty Norton and Bill Alexander vowed to come north and support our program. Horan Jr drove his father's shorty Don Long car (pictured), and were major players at that time in the T/F class. After their first Goodguys race (had to be '92 Jim Davis Memorial) - they never missed another one no matter where they were held. Their support meant a lot to us. Curly was also up for anything in terms of pre race promotion. Whenever we would do a booth at the NHRA drags to promote our VRA races, he always stepped up to offer his car for the display. He really enjoyed doing it. He understood what we were trying to accomplish and did whatever it took to support the program. I will never forget that. He was also a hell of a tuner. Always made safe, reliable power. RIP Curly. Thanks for the friendship. Photo courtesy of Marc Gewertz

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  10. Trouble Maker's Tea

Trouble Maker's Tea

Fitting............

Attached Files:

11. fourtogo

fourtogo
    from long beach

I used see Dan out in front of Wilson High School Ca. with his Dragster . Waiting for a young driver too get out of school , then off to the County for week night TNT .

12. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

R.I.P. Sorry for your loss

13. Trouble Maker's Tea

Trouble Maker's Tea

14. bchctybob

bchctybob

I wish someone on here with much better computer skills than I would post a mini-pictorial tribute showing Dan Sr and his cars over the years. I only got to talk to him briefly a couple of times at the CHRR & March Meets but he was always friendly to the wife and I. We'll miss him.