Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Big block mopar alternator brackets

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chucksrodgarage, Nov 26, 2016.

1. chucksrodgarage

chucksrodgarage
    from wisconsin

Are there different bracket configurations for the big block mopars?
    Just bought one to put on a 1970 383 magnum and .no two holes align with water pump bolts or head, too short.
    I assumed they would be the same,all the ones listed look just like the one i got,
    Thanks

2. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

There's a huge cast iron piece for earlier cars and in the last week I have been making a bolt hole extender for the head on a small block mopar which has a center to center of 1 3/8, so if your bracket has that center to center it would fit a small block not saying it wouldn't fit a big block, but I have lots of heads to measure tomorrow. The huge cast iron piece bolts to the head and has a stand for the alternator to fit on.

3. squirrel

squirrel

it might help if you show us what you have?

here's a random internet picture of an alternator on a 383. Does your look like this?

I seem to recall that all the 383s I messed with in the old days had AC and the brackets were funky, because the alt used the same belts as the AC compressor. PS and fan were driven off a separate belt. So I'm no help at all.

Attached Files:

4. chucksrodgarage

chucksrodgarage
    from wisconsin

Very similar. But the distance from the tapping in the head and the bolts in the water pump housing is longer than the mounting holes in the bracket.

5. squirrel

squirrel

I'd be temped to get a chunk of steel, and make a bracket. Or cut off the part that's too short, and weld in an extension.

6. chucksrodgarage

chucksrodgarage
    from wisconsin

I will try to take a pic tomorrow.
    Bought on eBay. But they all look the same as the one I got. I have a 361 in a 65 dodge and the distance from tap in head to the water pump housing is about a inch less?
    The boss in the water pump housing is located in a different location.

7. chucksrodgarage

chucksrodgarage
    from wisconsin

Not a problem to make one or modify, but doesn't make any sense why they would be different dimensions.

8. squirrel

squirrel

it's a dodge, not a Chevy.

ClayMart likes this.
  9. chucksrodgarage

chucksrodgarage
    from wisconsin

I'm. Finding that out about mopars

10. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Bouchellon (not sure of spelling) performance can straighten you out. I know AC and non AC cars are different but they are experts if there are more differences they will know

11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I seem to remember that the 383 and 440 had different bracket maybe you have one for a 440.

12. chucksrodgarage

chucksrodgarage
    from wisconsin

Finally got a picture. The hole in the bracket is about7/8" short to reach the water pump housing boss.
    No problem. I can and will weld on a piece to the bracket.
    The water pump boss on my 65 361 is in the correct location. Probably not the correct water pump housing.on the 383 magnum. Any ideas what this housing may be off from?

Attached Files:

13. squirrel

squirrel

if you can find a casting number on it, use google and see if you can figure it out. One neat thing about mopar part and casting numbers...they were assigned sequentially. So you can kind of figure out what year it was first used, by the number. 28xxxxxx... numbers were around 1968 or something? I forget the details.

14. chucksrodgarage

chucksrodgarage
    from wisconsin

15. chucksrodgarage

chucksrodgarage
    from wisconsin

Casting number 2468007
    Date code 10
    Not a lot of info out there on it. Appears that it is a earlier housing and the correct one for 64-66 hemi engines.
    Are all the water pumps the same?
    Something was said about water pump impeller clearance differences.

16. fourspd340

fourspd340

This is the bracket you need.

http://www.manciniracing.com/albracpre1rb.html

As far as water pumps, they will all physically bolt up but there are tons of different OEM impeller styles. AC, Non-A/C, heavy duty cooling, etc. Honestly, I have ran about just about every OEM water pump out there and have never noticed a difference in cooling ability between them (up through 600 hp).

17. chucksrodgarage

chucksrodgarage
    from wisconsin

18. chucksrodgarage

chucksrodgarage
    from wisconsin

All done. Thanks a lot. Got a lot of knowledge on the subject from everybody.

19. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

There are two basic big block Mopars; B blocks and RB block. The RBs have a raised block which changes certain things like intakes, brackets, and distributors.

20. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

Put a chevy single wire alt on my 360

21. chucksrodgarage

chucksrodgarage
    from wisconsin

Yes. I am familiar with the differences between b and th.
    This one is a 383 b block..
    The difference here was in the water pump housing.

22. yes I'd say the water pump housing....I would get into it but you have it fixed.......It's hard to find a big block mopar motor B or RB with out the A/C - P/S pulley's as most came equipped with both of those....

23. 528 Hemi

528 Hemi

There is a early bracket and a later bracket you need the early one if you want it to be Mother Mopar correct! Early is from 67 down I think.Maybe 66.