Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1950 1 1/2 ton brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FrankenChev, Nov 27, 2016.

1. FrankenChev

FrankenChev

Hey there guys I was trying to replace my trucks brake lines. Its a 1950 1 1/2 ton, I'm more familiar with standard sized trucks such as the 3100. I think mine is a 4400 but missing badges so not sure. I am trying to replace a line that has a hole but it's not the 3/16 diameter does anyone know what diameter it might be? They are the original. Or can I just go with any other sizes and replace all of the lines the only thing is that I have to remember the master brake cylinder still has the same original diameter, I think an adapter can remedy this? Alot of things on this truck seem to be different so any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Just use any size that you can make fit. Those old bob trucks are difficult to keep the HYd brakes working. We normally don't drive them on a regular basis. and everything drys out. And brake boosters for them are high dollar.

3. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

I believe most of the lines might be 1/4, you can make all the new lines yourself if you have the double flaring tool, Napa has all the sizes of line in various lengths and all you would need to do is cut one down and flare as needed to fit, you can also get kits from napa for the wheel cylinders but I would opt for new ones, the hydro vac can be sent out to rebuild or exchanged also.

4. My 37 was 1/4" and I made the lines from a roll and put new fittings on it. Yes you can use adapters. I have also bought the premade lines from the local store and cut and bent as needed. If you decide to make your own or need to redo an end, remember that you need to double flare the steel lines, I am sure there is some video out there of someone showing how to do it. Dad taught me.