Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage GNRS 2017,but what else is going on in LA at january?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Finnrodder, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Me and 2 friends of mine booked a flight tickets,hotel etc to LA.The plan is to see GNRS,that's something i've wanted to see for a long time.
    But what else is going on there at january?
    Any swapmeets or other car or bike events?
    We are going to stay there from 20th of january to 4rd of february.
    I guess few hr drive out of LA isnt a big deal.

2. Lil32

Lil32

Check out Derelict Donuts in Huntington Beach. Shop, So Cal, Waldens, etc NHRA Museum
    Early Ford shop San Dimas

Finnrodder likes this.
  3. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks!
    We are going to stay in Long beach,so Huntington beach isnt far away.That Early Ford shop is a great hint.Thanks!

4. If you have never been to the us or Los A. Then there are a lot of things you can check out. Early ford store in san dimas. So cal speed shop in pomona, Blair's speed shop in Pasadena, drive out to el mirage dry lake, petterson auto museum in down town la. Nhra museum in pomona. Hollywood hot rods. Hell if your looking for good parts and like to drive you can haul ass up to turlock ca. For a huge early car swapmeet. Do the gnrs Friday and Sunday and do turlock Saturday. About a 7 hour one way drive but it's a great swapmeet. It sucks they are on the same weekend because they are both great events. Have a good time and safe travel.

Finnrodder likes this.

5. Oh and h&h flatheads too.

Finnrodder likes this.
  6. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I've been few times in Florida,but this my first trip to the west coast.Well,i was there 5 yrs ago.I noticed the bureaucracy has gone tighter how it was when i did the ESTA application last time,but i guess its not a big surprise at these days..
    Friend of mine knows the west coast better than i do,but i just asked if there's something that he has missed.That Turlock swapmeet sounds pretty tempting,but we'll have to think about it.
    Thanks!

7. Special Ed and Finnrodder like this.
  8. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Long Beach Hi Performance Swap Meet Jan 29

Finnrodder likes this.
  9. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

The early ford store is very close to,the GNRS show so make sure to stop by as it is a must see since it's so close.

Finnrodder likes this.
  10. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We usually fly out for a week and take a couple of days to drive up HWY 1 along the coast and then back down the interior. Well worth the drive and we have never had a problem finding places to stay along the way. If you run out of rod shops and swap meets to visit some sight seeing along the coast is time well spent.

Finnrodder likes this.
  11. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

That SoCal Car Culture website is an awesome!
    Thank you guys for all the suggestions,those will help a lot.

12. toml24

toml24

Upon your arrival in Southern California there are a number of places to visit. They are:

Donut Derelicts Car Show, Huntington Beach, CA. Corner of Adams and Magnolia. Every Saturday morning from 5:30am-8:30am. Best FREE car show on the West coast. 250 vintage cars and trucks every Saturday morning. Trust me, it's worth your time to see this car show.

NHRA Drag Racing Museum, Pomona, CA. More than just drag racing, this is an excellent museum.

Automobile Driving Museum. 610 Lairport St. El Segundo, CA. 90245. Don't be put off by the funny street name or the plain drab brick facade. This is a great museum that is non-profit. They ask for a modest $5.00 donation. It's worth it.

In-N-Out Hamburger. Might tasty.

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts. Get the warm glazed doughnuts and bring plenty of cold milk. It's a great experience!

Finnrodder likes this.
  13. Arominus

Arominus

If you have time hit the USS Iowa, it was cool to tour the old battlewagon. The peterson museum is also worth the time.

chryslerfan55 and Finnrodder like this.
  14. Special Ed

Special Ed

Finnrodder likes this.
  15. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

More great hints,thank you all!

16. Got a tip on Turlock Swap Meet on 28-29/1. We plan to go there. Its been around for a long time. Think its the 50:th Swap Meet now

Finnrodder likes this.
  17. phoneman

phoneman
    from Missouri

Peterson museum is participating in the SoCal museums free for all again this year on Sunday the 29th. They will be busy but general admission is free that day. I just happened on to this last year. saw the Peterson and La Brea Tar pits. http://www.socalmuseums.org/free-for-all/
    Enjoy

Finnrodder likes this.
  18. toml24

toml24

I just ordered my tickets for the Peterson. This will be my first trip after the redesign. I will review and report on the HAMB.

Finnrodder likes this.
  19. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thank you guys!
    I think we will skip the Turlock swap meet,there is just too much going on in LA at that weekend.And i dont need anything special part etc at the moment,i guess i'll find what i need from the shops in LA.
    Thanks again!

20. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Allrite,i am in here at the moment.So far i've been at the Donuts derelicts and the Petersen auto museum.
    And its been awesome,thanks again fellas!

fastford1956 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. We will arrive on Thursday

Finnrodder likes this.
  22. jimmy959

jimmy959

If its not raining, Bob's Big Boy in Toluca Lake (Burbank) is always good on Friday nights.

Finnrodder likes this.
  23. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Have safe flight!

Thats what my friend suggested,so i think we are going there!

25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

try to have fun - take pics and share here

Finnrodder likes this.
  26. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Yeah,i will..So far its been fun.Here's few photos from the Donuts Derelicts
    IMG_3978 (Custom).JPG IMG_3981 (Custom).JPG IMG_3989 (Custom).JPG

AndersF likes this.
  27. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

And few from The Petersen museum.

IMG_4005 (Custom).JPG IMG_4034 (Custom).JPG IMG_4038 (Custom).JPG IMG_4040 (Custom).JPG IMG_4048 (Custom).JPG IMG_4062 (Custom).JPG IMG_4065 (Custom).JPG

AndersF likes this.
  28. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Here's few from Mooneyes,pretty cool stuff there too.We visited at their workshop too,that was cool place too.I dont know is it ok to post the pics from the workshop,so i dont do it.

IMG_20170123_124718 (Custom).jpg IMG_20170123_130121 (Custom).jpg IMG-20170123-WA0003 (Custom).jpg

AndersF likes this.
  29. Finnrodder likes this.
  30. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep the pics coming Antti, good stuff!

Finnrodder likes this.