Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 37 chevy glovebox door

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bruski, Nov 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bruski

Bruski

I am having trouble finding a door/hinge assy. complete w lock/ knob...will other GM model cars, say Buick or Olds interchange?? Are 39 or 40 chevy the same?? I've been told 37's are rare and bring $$$$. Thanks, Bruce

2. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

The 37 and 38 Chevy are the same size. These are the only ones that will work. If I remember right the stainless trim might be a little different. And yes they are hard to find and most times the hinge piece is missing. These were hard to find back in the late 80's when I was building a 38 coupe. The standard model didn't have a hole for the clock and some had a hole but there was a clock delete plate in it. Keep looking there are some still out there.

3. Bruski

Bruski

Thanks...your info is what I suspected..but I had hoped other ones might work because they are easierto find...prior owner cut up door to mount a radio in it and used it as a cover and screwed it on...I don't need a radio...

4. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Chevs of the 40s has the hinge:

https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/13660/Chevrolet_Hinge_Assembly_Glove_Box_Door.html

Speedway has a door:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-1937-38-Chevy-Car-Glove-Box,46435.html

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Funny, I have that too. Did they cut the centre out of your dash to install a billet aluminum panel too? That seems to have been a thing in 37 Chevys for a while.

I have a cowl & dash here that want to use to fix that on mine. Don't yet have the tools of skills to pull that off yet though.

6. Bruski

Bruski

Thanks for the links.....yes my dash has been modified, badly, want to try and get it back to somewhat original looking..don't want the billet look...the hinge looks good though..thanks, Bruce

7. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a door and a delete plate but no lock! If anyone finds one, see if there is another, please.

8. Bruski

Bruski

I haven't found a lock/knob assy yet...checking salvage yards also for parts....alot harder now days...

9. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm close to the point where I need to find an alternate. Not exactly a technical piece there.

10. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Maybe just fix the door you have? Mine has a radio size hole in it, but is basically a flat surface so may not be too hard to patch. Or you could paint the Speedway one. I kinda like the decorative stamping on it, might look good painted and pinstriped.

11. Bruski

Bruski

12. Bruski

Bruski

I've had thoughts about fixing the door...knowing now where to get the hinge assembly..my Guage cluster has woodgrain inlay...maybe do the same to the box door...something to think on..

13. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wasn't able to find the correct lock for my 38 glovebox either. Since it's been 30+ years since I found the latching mechanism I don't really remember what it came off of. I am thinking it may have been off the 50s era General Motors car, it doesn't work real well but at least it latches

Bruski likes this.
  14. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Might look cool. My gauges are currently in ball milled aluminum billet. Going to change that to an engined turned insert.

Bruski likes this.
  15. Bruski

Bruski

I found a complete assembly w hinge, and knob/lock at a out of state salvage yard...a plain door with out any trim.. $300.00....seems high to me...it will need total restoring....????

16. you need it, there are not a lot of them around, someone has stored it for the last 70+ years, it's been taken off and will be sent to you. hmmmm, what would you have thought it is worth?

prewarcars4me and Bruski like this.
  17. I just reskinned mine was easier than trying to patch it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Bruski likes this.
  18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

there are seven in ebays "completed listings". there is one listed right now, along with a "billet" one as well.

Bruski likes this.
  19. tb33anda3rd and Bruski like this.
  20. Bruski

Bruski

I've seen complete assemblies for Olds and Buick for around $100.00...that's why $300 seemed high..just saying...there was one on ebay with clock and trim w lock sold for $300...thought plain door would be less..

21. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

22. Just going to use a magnetic latch and the hole for the knob I am going to install was not drilled at this point.

Bruski likes this.
  23. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Ah, whoops. I thought this was a pic of the original the OP found for sale. This is the one you reskinned. Nice job on it. I'll probably attempt something like this with mine.

24. green53ford

green53ford
    from Wisconsin

Its been about 30 years but I seen to remember a jeep wagoneer glove box lock was a direct fit.

David Gersic likes this.
  25. Bruski

Bruski

I'm in no hurry to spend $300 yet on an original door assy..I'm going to get the repro hinge sssy. from Chevy's of the 40's though..I am thinking of rebuilding my existing door after seeing K13's door. I've got all winter to work on this..thanks for all the help and info,
    Bruce...

26. ...here's my temporary fix, I used a wiper knob from a 50 Chevy p.u., bent the tang, bolted on an extention and it works, no lock function tho.
    37 coupe build 210.jpg 37 coupe build 211.jpg

Bruski likes this.
  27. Bruski

Bruski

I've seen some innovative knobs used for glovebox"s...on a variety of cars at cruise in's and shows...one car had a chrome lighter knob for pull knob..many options there...

28. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I like the handle. I wonder if it could be mounted to something like a VW bug glove box door latch.

29. photo 2.JPG I Know it is not a Chevy but I was missing a glove box door on my 39 Ford dash and just made one. Was not too hard.

Bruski likes this.
  30. Bruski

Bruski

Wonder why so many glovebox doors go missing...hmmm?