Register now to get rid of these ads!

fender welting...do i gotta?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alphabet soup, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Slantback

Slantback

No welting on mine, metal to metal, no squeeks yet....

2. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

I believe the welt was also intended to be a moisture barrier between panels

john worden likes this.
  3. I use a non-hardening seam sealer, or the old 3m strip caulk. Not the new urethane shit!

4. Bob Drake has many differant colored welting & I believe you can get a sample kit. Pieces are about 2" long.

5. Wallaby

Wallaby

I have the same issue. My truck uses a black welting with black bead, but at the ends, it's an eyesore. I have two vertical strips running up the joint between my grille and fenders and as it comes up to meet the bottom of the hood...it's suddenly cut and looks terrible. I'm thinking that nylon strap like used to tie down motorcycles might do the trick and I can get that at Home depot in different colors, and just punch the holes as required with a hot piece of tubing.

Hnstray likes this.
  6. verde742

verde742

If you don't like blunt end , cut two inches long and go under fender and back up to the joint.

7. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never did answer this. Just ended-up using black welting. With the black running board covers and window rubbers it looked like it belonged there. In my case, I got crazy over nothing. Gene.

Moriarity and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. mrloboy

mrloboy

My first car was a 47 Plymouth coupe. I didn't like the look of the welting so just bolted the fenders on. The squeaking drove me crazy! Some sort of gasket is needed. That was forty years ago and never built another car without some sort of welting. Just tried to hide it!

9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Plain old black fender welting, good enough OEM, good enough for me. No squeaks or rattles

warbird1 likes this.
  10. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

have to agree with that

11. ............................Been there.:D;)

12. Hombre

Hombre

I have about 600 miles of welt cord, pick a color and I will make you as many feet as you want. No charge either hell gives me something to do, you pay shipping and materials less the cord as I have tons of that stuff.

lothiandon1940 likes this.