Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1957ford.com website

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speedmaven, Nov 17, 2016.

1. I know a lot of you fellows have used it in the past. The owner has decided to not continue on with it. Our club, 57 Fords International has agreed to try to buy the site and keep it up, as the information there is very valuable to us as 57 Ford owners, and simply cant be found easily anywhere else. I have been running the website and forums at 57fordsforever.com for a while now. We started 57 Fords International as an Excite group, way back in 1996., Now, over 20 years later, we are still going strong. For the most part, I cover all the expenses of the forums, as well as upkeep of the website. We hope to be able to purchase the website from its owner in the next week or so, By using our fundraiser page aimed at 57 Ford enthusiasts, we will be able to cover the cost, along with my own personal donation to the cause, and remain a free site to our users. I do not wish to take on any advertisers, or charge membership fees to use our site. We have been a free club for years now. I believe that several of our members are also members here. I would like to publish a link to our fundraiser page if that is acceptanle to the admins here. I wont post it until I am given the go-ahead. But please keep in mind, 1957ford.com is already gone from the internet. I can get all of the files, digital and print, everything and have the information back up within a couple weeks. Those of you who have used it understand the value of the information that was housed there. For more information, you can contact me via my information in the sidebar.

kidcampbell71 and Jeff Norwell like this.
  2. town sedan

town sedan

Thank you for the information James. I went looking for 1957Ford site recently and it was down, but didn't know why. I've used your '57 Fords Forever sight before for both useful information and interesting reading. Thank you again. Unfortunately it's property tax time in Missouri, but if I can find something extra we'll see what we can do. Good luck and great fortune to all involved.
    -Dave

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  3. This may sound strange coming from a multi 57-8-9 Ford car owner. I have never used your/that sight. What does or did it have on it I should have needed? Here is a photo of my current project 57
    3rd time home 6-19-03 003.jpg
    What does this sight have on it that could help with my rebuild? Is this just another social sight?
    The Wizzard

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  4. wow...where to start answering that. Probably the easiest way is just to say that the fact you've never used James' 57fordsforever site or the 1957fords.com site is why you don't know how valuable it is for us '57 Ford guys. Maybe YOU don't need help or advise from others, and if that's the case, it's the best reason to join...to help those '57 owners that do.
    The neat thing about James' site is the only tie in from one owner to the next is the '57 Ford common interest. It doesn't matter if you're into racing, resto-mods, factory restorations,customs, etc etc. Nobody gets on someone's case because they're different. Well, maybe you'll get some light grief if you're gonna stick a Chevy motor in there, lol, but we are all Ford guys.
    The 1957ford.com site James is trying to aquire and add to the 57fordsforever site is tons of history, model identification (with/by tons of photos),specs, codes, etc etc. It's a 15(?)year collection of information too valuable to be lost. Very little if any active forum stuff going on there though, and that's why the two sites always worked well coixisting. The retired owner of 1957ford.com has been dependent on computer people to keep his site going, and it has gotten very expensive over the years, to the tune of 60K plus!!! He has offered the info to James only for 3800. in the interest of keeping his information collection "alive" and available to 1957 Ford enthusiasts.
    The 57fordsforever forum is an active forum with hundreds and hundreds of 57 Ford passenger car owners (and '58's as well) from all over the world with a common interest. As far as what it can do for you, there are things like an active list of salvage yards known to have '57 Fords on a regular basis, and a list of links to over 40 dealers/suppliers who carry 57 Ford specific parts. Maybe you're looking for a part, or have some to sell. Hell, not too many out there know everything there is to know about '57 Fords. You'd be hard pressed to come up with a question pertaining to '57 Fords that can't be answered by someone who's done it.
    I'm Rich Muise on the 57fordsforever forum, btw. Same avatar there. To date, I've met about 10 forum members in person from different parts of the country, and other countries as well. Is it "another social forum"? you asked. yeah, but absolutly the best kind.
    Simply put, I could not have built my '57 without the help of the guys on the '57fordsforever forum.
    I need to add...I've been on that forum for 8 years(?), and this is the FIRST time James has asked for help. He's got a large family to feed (10 kids), and is trying to pull this all together even though company restructuring meant a drop in his job salary earlier this year. He just couldn't do it on his own even though I know that would have been his preference. I'm sure it was difficult for him to ask, but he doesn't want to take the chance an all that information being lost.
    That's going to be a great looking Fairlane, btw.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    Jeff Norwell and belair like this.

5. Our club site is not just a social site. We have discussion areas like here, with over 500 members who have seen or done everything there is to do with a 57 Ford. Any question you could have likely has been answered there, and if not, could be in a matter of minutes or hours. Our site is dedicated to only the 1957 Ford passenger cars, no thunderbirds or trucks. We have free classified ads, separate areas for the major 57 discussions such as engine swaps, trans upgrades, brakes, electrical and so on. Now 1957ford.com is the spec heavy site. It had production figures for each of teh various sub models of the the 57 Ford, including all variations of station wagons, Fairlanes, Customs Rancheros, etc. Shipping weights and other specs for each of the models as well. Exerpts from rare publications and old Ford manuals were there, as well as hundreds of thousands of pictures, both old and modern. A lot of production line photos, and modern user provided photos. All in all, there were close to 300,000 different pictures on that site, most broken down by model and sub-model. There were thousands of vintage racing photos as well, including a lot of old Jr Stocker 57 Fords, most supercharged y blocks, old NASCAR photos, etc. Seriously, there was far more information on that site than I can describe in a single post. The site was one that you could get on and read for hours on end. I know of several rainy days that I spent hours on there reading. What I am trying to accomplish here is not building an empire so to speak, one where I will charge people to use it. I have been at the 57 Ford thing for over 20 years now, and John Gambill many more, but a like number on the website deal. There is just so much information there, color codes, interior codes, all manner of VIN decoding information, etc., and I just can't stand the thought of it not being preserved. I could start compiling the information and photos myself without buying John's complete site, but it would take me years and years. Why reinvent the wheel, when he is offering it to me for a fraction of what he has invested in it. My plan is to use his data and images, with our own programming, as his site was proprietary to the folks that built and maintained his site. Once he signs it over with the domain names, the programming will revert to them. I want to maintain the flavor of John's vision, but integrate it into our club site, which is also overdue for revamp. I plan to start on it this winter, when we are able to send John a check for his complete website. I hope I was able to somewhat answer your question about orr club, and what it offers. I just want to reiterate, that no, we are not just a social site, though we are friends on there. Most of us have met each other in person on different occasions, some of us live near each other. All in all, think of it as a little HAMB, that specializes in one year of one make of car. We offer a knowledge base like no other, even the HAMB is lacking when it comes to 57 Fords, we live and breathe them.

Jeff Norwell and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. Texas57 and Speedmaven. Good info from both of you. So you know I wasn't picking on the sight, those were honest questions. I'm not real internet savvy and the HAMB is the only social sight I participate in.
    I bought my first 57 Fairlane in 1968 and have had at least one every since. Rebuilding from body shell up is not uncommon for me. I'm not a restoration guy at all although the 59 in the back ground is absolutely bone stock with factory paint. You can check around here and find I try to help any chance I get. I made a living with many a wrench, welder and a lot of machine work all automotive targeted. My interests are very abstract so joining a group focused on just one year or brand becomes very old real fast. At the same time I never grow tired of 57-8-&9 Ford cars or 53-56 F-100's.
    I agree with trying to save information for out Hobby and buisness. I've gone to way to many funerals where a life time of hands on knowledge was already in the box. That's just a total loss to all of us. Being a 2 finger typest and already been collecting S.S. for many years I suspect my turn is coming. I keep saying I'm to Old to be this far behind. Between now and the end of my road I will continue sharing any first hand information I have. Yes, there is plenty I can still learn and yes I'm still looking for more Quality reproduction parts for all my projects. To date I have not found any source for wiper cables of the weather strip piece that goes in the corner of the Top of the A post and under the door glass flapper for the 2d Ht. Speaking of the Flapper and quarter glass channel. Who has installed new fuzzie's there?
    The Wizzard

7. "wiper cables"...not sure if your meaning the pull cable/dash knob, or the cable/pulleys inside it cowl? Either way neither are being reproduced that I know of. We're pretty much stuck with used or nos when it can be found. I replaced my wiper cable and pulley assemblies with hard arms and an inside-the-cowl electric motor. I'll have to look, but I may have the oem old cables and pulleys I took out. I only used the wiper arm pivots, everything else was replaced.
    Mine's a Custom, quite different from a Fairlane in the window channels, but I got all my channels from www.classicautoparts.com in Oklahoma City. They have the best selection of glass channel, weatherstrip,anti-rattler stuff I've seen anywhere. Most of their weatherstrip or kits are made in house and is packaged with Dale's Manufacturing logos. Dale also is the owner of Classic auto parts (previously "Ford Obsolete)
    Some of the guys have replaced the fuzzies only in otherwise good channels with the fuzzie half of velcro strips and have had good success with that. They're has been a number of threads dealing with various aspects of the channels, etc. depending on model. There are lots of Fairlane owners on the site who could answer those questions. Also, we have a number of members from Washington, Oregon, and BC. I'm assuming you live in one of those seeing the PNW under your avatar. Sounds like your an older guy, like most of us...I'm kinda disapointed that's obviously not you in your avatar, lol.
    We'd sure like to have you join us on the 57fordsforever forum, and for that matter, here on the 52-59 Ford social club. That's where I do most of my Hamb posting.
    BTW, speaking of cable/pulleys, I seem to remember somebody called attention to the fact that the factory manual shows the cable being wound on one of the pulleys wrong. Also, here's a link to that list of 57 Ford specific parts suppliers I mentioned.
    http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=2051.0

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  8. Texas57; The green 51 Vicky is but one of my Toys. It's build was covered some 12 years ago here in pieces and used as good reference for several others here. That pretty little Girl is one of my Grand daughter's. We're still driving the Hell out of it.
    The wiper cables I'm referring to are the ones in the Cowell. They are so extinct I'm not sure Ford ever offered them as replacement parts. I have successfully installed the unit from SPW in a customers 57. I also run them in the 51 Vicky along with a couple other of my cars. I have the OE unit for the Black 57 and intend to re install them with the 55 GM motor. I doubt I'll delibertly drive it on rainy days. I have also done the 58 unit change over on a couple 57's so there are options. I remember a few years back coaching a fella about the factory service manual being Wrong about the cable routs. I discovered this back about 1970. Can you believe it hasn't been corrected to this day?
    So I went to the sight you posted. That's quite a list of suppliers.
    Back when I repaired my 57 Front fenders I did quite a photo posting of doing a "correct" metal finish starting with EMS patches. That led to me not offering up information but waiting for a question and offering first hand experience. I'm also a pretty fair tin worker , lap joints and Mig welding is not my way of doing things. I also haven't bought any more EMS panels. To say the least I'm an Odd duck.
    I'll go back and try to learn to navigate the sight and may spend more time there.
    The Wizzard

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  9. 34fordjay

34fordjay
    from Mass USA

This is just a test to see if I can get onto the 52-59 Ford forum. I have tried several times to find this site, but couldn't. Somehow I just managed to find it. I'm Jay on the 57fordforever site and go by ECode70D. On the HAMB I'm 34fordjay.

kidcampbell71, Jeff Norwell and Baumi like this.
  10. Morning Jay....I had this thread flagged to watch, so your new post popped up. To find the 52-59 forum, look up at the top of any page. Between the red and blue, you'll see some banners hanging down. Click on the second one (with a group of people), then click on social forums. The 52-59 Fords club is listed under "Brands". That as far as I can lead you as mine is different because I'm a member......I won't see that how-to-join stuff.
    Rich

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  11. 34fordjay

34fordjay
    from Mass USA

Good morning Rich
    I am a member of the HAMB and have for about 10 years. It's not easy, but I'll keep trying to navigate this 52 -59 Ford Forum. Computer stuff does not come easy to me. Honestly, I have less trouble rebuilding an engine or a transmission. Jay

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  12. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jay, good to see you on here! Stay warm! Baumi

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  13. 34fordjay

34fordjay
    from Mass USA

Baumi
    Good to hear from you.
    This site is not easy to navigate. Email is easier.

Jeff Norwell and Baumi like this.
  14. 34fordjay

34fordjay
    from Mass USA

Baumi
    Thanks for that link that you send me of your cool Y block 34 Ford.
    I got through page 2 so far. Now all I have to do is figure out how to find your
    thread on the 52 - 59 Ford site on the HAMB. At least I assume that is where to find it. As you know I'm very computer challenged. HAHA
    Jay

Jeff Norwell and Baumi like this.
  15. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Looks like the site may be down? Anybody have any info. I and at least three other members have gotten "your account has been closed" on a full screen page.

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  16. town sedan

town sedan

Do you mean the '57 Fords Forever site? Mr. Potter posted an explanation about the "snafu" this afternoon.
    -Dave

17. yep....up and running again. Forgot to pay the light bill, lol. :)

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  18. thekidd312

thekidd312

looking for set of headers for 351c in my 57 ford. does any one make them if not does any body know what may work> will work? can be mod to work? thanks