Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods As we get older ~

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 16, 2016.

1. 48stude

48stude

I started my roadster with a four speed in the plans. That thought was about seven years ago, since then I turned 65 yrs old soon to be 66 and have opted for turbo 350. Last two days I've been hobbling around the garage because my left butt is killing me. Now that's a real pain in the ass:p Bill

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. highboy

highboy
    from marin

The four speed, bell housing,clutch a pressure plate I'm putting behind my Chrysler 392 was pulled due to these very reasons. The old timer put years of trips both short and long. And now he's knees were shot. I'm now 48 , worked in the trades since high school and am wondering how long do I have before shifting becomes too painful.... I'll cross that bridge when it comes..... in fourth gear!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bchctybob and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Boy, I'm hearing ya Bill.
    Been going to PT for sciatic nerve issues in my back, left cheek and leg.
    I'm not gonna say it's great to have plenty of company on this subject because in simple terms; it just plain sucks. I've been a 4 speed guy my entire life so some day it will suck even worse when I have to give up my trusted Hurst Comp Plus shifters.
    One thing besides hydro clutches to consider is a Centerforce clutch assembly. I bought one when I started stockpiling parts for my roadster build because of the comments I heard about them being easier on the legs and I'm really wanting to try it out.
    Now that I'm officially retired with some income I'm hoping to get back on the build.

HOTRODPRIMER and 48stude like this.
  4. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

Danny: aging does severely limit my range of motion. Getting up from a prone position is a real chore. Have you seen this new creeper?

Probably not for us retired guys but a younger guy might benefit.

RMONTY and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  5. My Merc always had a Stick in it till I put the SBC in it
    is when I put the Powerslide also
    when I had my Speed shop I built & Set up a Lot of Hot rods
    and Street Cars
    and I always Tested them out before I gave them back
    to the Customer
    I ran my own Race Car for 6 years at the Tracks & I ran a M22 stone Crusher
    & I always said when I stoped Racing I would Go Auto

Just my 3.5 cents
    or when the Cows
    come Home

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That thing is like a unicorn. It has been floating around on the internet for years and has never been produced for sale to the public.
    Useless essentially.
    Something you can't buy even if you wanted to.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

Over the counter (icyhot) and ruff it up.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

I'm trying to shift my cars (3) without using the clutch as much as possible due to left leg/butt/ thigh concerns. It doesn't always work but it does take some effort out of driving especially on a longer trip. I'm 62 and have been having difficulties for a time,
    my Ford Ranger responds the best to clutchless shifting !

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had the same debate with myself on the 48's rebuild lately. I've got the 5 speed to go behind the 282 but I also have the turbo 350 that came out of my 71 GMC that just needs a flexplate that fits the 292 to work along with a quick trip to the gent who benches transmissions for a reasonable cost. The left knee and ankle tend to complain at times and from driving my dualie in traffic pulling my boat with the 4 speed it really starts complaining when stuck in traffic. Automatic also means that I can use that rear axle that I have out back that has perfect gears to run down the highway towards Texas at 80 per without much fuss on the big wide roads.
    It's all about the fun of driving and the fun of being where go when we get there and if the legs don't handle a clutch and you can't walk after you get out of the car after driving a couple of hundred miles the fun part diminishes real quick and after that come the excuses to not drive the car or not go to events.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. Oilguy

Oilguy

Rock Auto has those brakes.

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'm seriously thinking of having a door in my present T Bucket build. It's gonna cost $600 extra to get the body with a door. But this possibly being my last T, waking up and not being able to get in it would be a real downer.

volvobrynk and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. Bobg1951chevy, when you live on a mountain top as I do and you have aready lost 1 car to the mountain and power pole .Just as some of the guys on here how that happened . LOL.It doesn't hurt to have a back up brake , just in case. LOL. Bruce.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

young guy are bewildered with all of this talk about Old Hot Rodders with parts failing parts, pain, etc. likely can't figure why you don't just man through all of this. some keeping a close look out for estate sales of old car guys stuff. then you look at new pick ups & performance cars with more comfort than any old luxury car ever had. the times they are a changing. do what you can with what ya got while you can.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Mines steel, COMES with a door!:) I am 56, ok so far, I am REALLY making an effort to take care of myself. I had a child late in life, so its more than just worrying about my cars, I really watch my weight now, and I go out for a 2-3 mile walk every day. I want to be able to enjoy the next 20 years, with my daughter, and I want to be able to enjoy my cars as well. I don't get caught up in the whole HAMB "manliness" thing about manual transmissions, its bullshit posturing. I have cars with sticks, and I have cars with automatics. My wife can drive a car with a manual trans, my truck has an auto in it, she wont even ride in it.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  15. 48stude

48stude

Most of the guys I hang with are all around my age. We have these conversations daily and laugh about it.
    When I was in my thirties and forties and all these old guys were telling me wait until you get to be my age. I thought to myself, Hey just because you're falling apart doesn't mean it's going to happen to me. Well guess what, the jokes on me. At least I can laugh about it. Bill

clunker and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Get the door Fred, you won't regret it. Climbing in over the body will get harder as the days and years go by, believe me. :)

17. bubba55

bubba55

The body remembers what the mind forgets - I'm tired of my body kickin my mind's worthless arse - still putting a 5 speed in me truck though !

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

All this talk reminds me of a line from a song by one of my favorite artists, Billy Joel.
    He sings :
    Sergeant O'Leary is walkin' the beat
    At night he becomes a bartender
    He works at Mister Cacciatore's down
    On Sullivan Street
    Across from the medical center
    He's tradin' in his Chevy for a Cadillac
    You oughta know by now
    And if he can't drive
    With a broken back
    At least he can polish the fenders.

Seems to me that if we don't build our rides with our aging in mind we'll be the ones polishing the fenders. Or the chrome :D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

My wife can drive a manual shift trans too, we both laugh at the boys who don't know how. Hey, they probably don't know how to dial a rotary phone either! :D

20. squirrel

squirrel

my wife drives a manual most days....

and I finally got her to go for a ride in my Chevy II. Took a few years. Fun.

21. belair

belair

Kick starting the motorcycle isn't as much fun either.

22. LongT

LongT

I thought about putting a door in my T. I am also getting tired of the sun and wind beating me up. I guess I am getting old.

Bill

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. LBCD

LBCD

Having had 3 back surgeries in the course of 18 years I have not used a manual that often.
    A few years ago while visiting the old country (Ireland) I rented a manual right hand drive OT Honda. If anyone has ever driven a manual right hand drive car in Dublin traffic I applaud you...
    My OT daily hot rod has paddle shifters but now I need a freakin neck brace...
    "getting old ain't for pussy's" ...words of wisdom from my 87 year old neighbor Daryl Bush

Sent from my SCH-I535 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

There are advantages about gettin' a door put in your bucket T....I have a little bucket roadster, and believed I could still ''jump over the door'' fantasy, apparently past my athletic ability, just couple years ago....it wasn't pretty! My wife started to laugh, and I was lying on the ground clutching my leg in a fetal position, and I sheepishly clawed my way to the seat, with eyes peeking over the door at my wife...agonizing, and enduring quiet laughs the entire Sunday ride, and a bruised hip and knee. I like, and use the door now, and nobody has to witness my inability or age related groaning, and I still retain a sense of dignity, .....that is until she reminds me "...do you remember that time?"................oh, the indignity of it all!;):p:cool:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    volvobrynk, HOTRODPRIMER and LongT like this.
  25. A "back up brake" is far better than no brake at all.
    P.s. I'm not far from you, in the mountains, as well.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I can still manage to do most everything I could do 30 years ago ( I will be 67 in January) including kick start my motorcycles,it just hurts more than it did then.I really hate getting up and down from under a car!

deucemac, volvobrynk and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  27. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm 74 and have problems with my ankles (particularly the left one, which I broke 25 years ago). I find that my problem with my old cars is not operating the clutch, but just getting in and out of them. Maybe I'm just lucky.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I drove a stick when I was younger along with heavy equipment and tractor trailers until my knee went out in my late 30's. I'm 55 now and while I would love to put a 5 speed in my deuce sadly it's getting a automatic.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

My wife followed me in the rain in my truck once, that did it. Shes pretty conservative, although when she was young she commuted by motorcycle in Ho Chi Mien city, Man, I would NEVER do THAT!:eek:
    [​IMG]
    I'm ballsy, but I'm not crazy!!:confused:

30. Just had some knee work done! It was not fun. Anyway I have always said "hot rods have 3 pedals". I guess when the time comes I will need to come up with a hand operated clutch.:eek: That is if I can still use both hands.:oops: