Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '34 ford window regulator skips

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by challengerman, Nov 13, 2016.

1. challengerman

challengerman

Hi, Hambers, lately I've been planning on re-installing door windows in a 5W coupe. My right hand (passngr side) skips and it looks like the handle gear is considerably worn. Are these repairable? Or is there a reliable supplier to replace the whole unit? Thanks in advance

2. Used to be the small gear was replaceable. They had two different tooth counts. If you have a sorce for regulators you can pull the gear out and replace yours. Your big gear could bad. Only way to know is take it apart.

3. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

4. challengerman

challengerman

Hi, yes the problem turned out to be the base grommet had bonded to the paint. I lost a patch of paint but it's a fairly easy fix. The handle popped right out with a bump from a heavy hammer. Thanks for you help.

5. 48-760

48-760
    from OH

34 5-W was replaced by the 35 Ford, Tudor Sedan, quarter window regulator.

6. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Actually 35 to 40 rear quarter window regulators fit all 34's front and rear, Just have different size screws and winding stop screws on one of the gears in different holes. They also get switched side to side for the winding handle to be in the right place. As an extra tip the rear quarter metal glass channel fits also after adjusting to correct length.

7. clyde28075

clyde28075
    from concord NC

does anyone have a picture of the Quarter window on a 34 ford Tudor taken from the inside with the regulator installed but no Upholstery or a pic with out the regulator installed to show what it is supposed to mount too My car has Nothing there to mount a regulator too and from what I read here these can be used as door or Quarter window regulator
    THANKS

8. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Small gear is the answer . Try Dave Cooper @ Green Sales Co. Cinti ., Oh . He is a Hot Rodder and great person .