Register now to get rid of these ads!

History In the Background

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Nov 11, 2016.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

In the Background

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

That combo of no $ an if there is a will, there is away! made up a lot of very cool drag cars. I started drag racing in the later 1950s with anything that ran,an worked/souped it up with more dreams then $. Studebaker now are likely under rated by many,but there are things about them often not known. The Study V8 n CadyV8 had some parts an sizes that could be used on ether,Cady V8 was a very EZ thing to put into the Studys. The Study's own V8s,even though it was not big in Cu. In.,it was very hard to kill,had a steel crank 5 main that could with the right work,spin 8000+ an live,most other V8 could not live up there. Last Study I dragged with was a {F Stock} Lark Daytona GT supercharged w TT rear,1/4 time,14flat at 107MPH,that fast back in 1968 ,an yes it was Studebakers V8.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    hugh m likes this.
  3. justanotherguy

justanotherguy

Definitely a 49 Studebaker 4 door sedan. Yeah, I'd like to know more too.

4. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

Cool photo, and we raced what we could afford to build.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the Early/Mid 60's that Studebaker Sedan probably came free for hauling it off if it had a bad engine in it. Free body meant that all your money went into the engine and drivetrain rather paying money for a popular and high demand body even though you could drive a 55 Chevy two door post off the car lot for around 350 quite often at that time.

6. Pappy002

Pappy002
    from Tennessee

7. This was an Australian drag car owned by Barry Sharpe circa 1966. It was powered by a Ford v8, probably a 272 y block which was the most common and cheapest v8 available at the time. The photo was taken at Castlereagh, the local dragstrip for Syd

8. factoring in the time difference, that was identified within an hour.

Gabe Fernando and scrapiron like this.
  9. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Dana Barlow did you know Bob Dwyer of Precision Auto Machine in Ft lauderdale ? He died a while back but used to race a blown Lark in SS/IA that was a rocket. Always wondered what happened to the car

10. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

22s_zpsqmqoqbrs.jpg And here's the "Strip Teaser" from another angle that I came across on the H.A.M.B.!

UNSHINED 2 likes this.
  11. I remember that car from reading "Austalian Hot Rod Review" when I was a wee lad.
    Always remembered the name. When you're 10 years old, it reminds you of boobies.