Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. t-rod

t-rod

When I was investigating the availability of 11/16ths bolts, the guy at the bolt and nut supply had only heard of them being used on big rig connecting rods. It's not that 11/16ths bolts would have to be ordered, it's that they don't exist in the US.

Sent from my SM-G386T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  2. OK, I would then use perch bolts (they are cheap) and cut them down and as I mentioned before. There is a lot of leverage on a dropped axle under hard braking to try and rotate the axle in the bones. This force due to the axle bosses will try and spread the bones (like a cam) and stretch the bolt, if the bolt is less than 11/16'' (with out a sleeve) it could allow ever more force to spread as this when the axle will be able to rotate . This would only happen when you need it to stay together the most. Just my take as an ex mechanic. JW

3. Spanner holes is a novel idea. I've used cut off Ford perch bolt lots of times; most of the time they don't turn when tightened, once when one did, I cut a screw driver slot with a hacksaw. In these modern times a worn cut-off disc (being smaller dia) would work to make a nice slot.
    Wouldn't think there is a shortage of old Ford perch bolts out there or is there?
    As another alternative, Chassis Eng makes perch bolts with a rounded head that has wrench flats.
    Seems like if Henry thought 5/8" diameter perch pins would have been OK, he would have used them. Just saying.

4. Fred, at the end of the day a 5/8'' grade 8 would be fine if sleeved as the weight from a T- Bucket is a lot less than what used to ride on the axle, but I just feel your front end deserves a bolt that compliments what you have.....a hex head bolt would be a sore thumb. :) JW

whiplash1923T, t-rod and loudbang like this.
  5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Okay...... noted. Having had to mess around with a 3/4" wrench and the soft and minimal top of a perch bolt, I'll take a hex nut and 15/16" socket all day long. Once I slop some black paint on 'em, you'll never even notice them. By the way, before those fancy flat top perches appeared, guys were using plain bolts.

Sore thumb? I don't see it and neither will anyone else. I mean.... you're sworn to secrecy...... right?;)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  6. Fred, I had hope when you were looking at drums

daddio211 likes this.
  7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I was, but as it turns out, not for this build for the reasons I stated.

But hey, wait 'till you see the 26" rims and low profile tires I slap on this SOB!

t-rod and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Screw it. I'm going to sell everything and go back to collecting comic books. Chip..... take this thread back. I'm done.

9. I have been cutting the tops off perch bolts since the late 70's. If you are happy, im happy.;):cool: JW

10. I do have to disagree with the idea that guys were using regular bolts back in the day; here's a picture in my mom's basement circa '65, early T bucket project with hack sawed stock perch bolts.

Like 26 said, regular bolts, bushings, and tapered cone washers will do the job and
    like you said most civilians wouldn't notice. So don't go thinking about abandoning this thread, we want to continue to see your updates and progress.
    first t (Small).jpeg

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  11. Fred, your build is one of the best thing happening on the HAMB at present, the main reason is your vision and execution of this Bucket and the fact you will do it how you want it.........that's what makes it great and not a cookie cutter car. JW

whiplash1923T and RICH B like this.
  12. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Fred just build your bucket you don't need all our meddling. Post some photos when finished.

13. fadt

fadt
    from England

Getting some heat, Fred????

14. Not "heat"; just friendly conversation in reply to ideas posted.
    Kinda the function of a forum.
    True hamb "heat" seems to have died off or been moderated away for the most part;
    but still not an "every kid gets a trophy" kind of place.

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Guess I should have put a smiley on that.:D I'm expecting a few parts in a while. But I really do have a nice comic collection.

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Not by a VERY long shot, but thanks.

17. It can only be my opinion, but I mean it.:) JW

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

LOL.... nope. Friendly advise and opinions from guys who've done this stuff way longer than I have. That's why I'm here. See, while I have an image of what my car will be, I also know I need input from my peers to not only feed my ideas, but to catch me when I begin to stray. There is NO meddling. Some have strong opinions and so do I.

My last build was......okay at best. There were a slew of things I'd do differently and that's what I'm doing with this build. Taking my time, planning my moves and checking the thoughts of others. This is only my 2nd build. When it's done, I don't want to end up second guessing things I did. It's not traditional, that path is too restrictive for me, but it sure as hell won't be ugly.

Hopefully, that clears everything up and we can get back to business.

kiwijeff, daddio211 and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Missed your post earlier. I have a set of stainless steel flat perches. Look back at my early pics of the front end. The flat top perches take a 3/4" wrench. In the past, on my other T, trying to hold the wrench on that minimal amount of "meat" on the top of the perch was a PITA. So, I decided the way to go was a hex head bolt. It takes a wrench or socket very well. I'd done it in the past for the same reason. No one noticed and no one really cared. For me, it was about making something easier to work on, when and if the occasion comes. I was being sarcastic earlier, but I meant it, a coat of black paint and the bolts will be a non-issue. But right now, that nice zinc coating is appealing to me. Hell, I may clear coat 'em.;)

I dropped the stainless bolts in the mail today. That's $85 that can be spent on something else.

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Here's something funny. I just got done talking to my parts guy. I SWEAR, it's like talking to a drug dealer (not that I would know anything about that). I tell him what I want and he tells me what I NEED. Crazy.:confused: This hot rodding really is a freakin' addiction.

So, tomorrow, I'm ordering everything to finish the front end and I'll be eating hot dogs for a week. Ain't this shit FUN!?

21. I smell the sweet scent of more progress.......or could that be Hotdogs......MMMMMMMMMMM.:D:D JW

loudbang and tfeverfred like this.
  22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

During my last build, I figured I was spending $10 a day for lunch. Times 25 days, that's $250! So, for 6 months, I ate hot dogs for lunch. The cheap ones, too. 99 cents for a pack and $1.00 for the generic buns. Crazy, man.

23. Glenn S

Glenn S

That is serious Hot rodding! Fred your build IS one of the best on the HAMB at the moment, Low dollar, focussed with a vision of what you want, the ambition to reach your goal and asking questions and taking advise. Most fun read I've had for a while.

tfeverfred and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  24. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

The problem is not just ordering them, I don't know of anyone that makes an 11/16 grade 8 bolt, so it would be special manufactured which isn't practical.

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Okay...... here's a nice distraction.

Blownfuel and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  26. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Fred for the above. Somebody went far and wide to find all those pictures. I even saw a couple I took. I don't mind I saw a lot that I haven't seen before.
    Gary

Blownfuel likes this.
  27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Nah, Fred, keep runnin'! there will always be those that disgree with the way you are doing things. That's their right. Doesn't mean you have to listen... You are doing fine!

A friend asked that I post this picture over here. It popped up on Hot Rods Of The 1960s this morning...

15032129_10210958101219438_9192327481106456592_n.jpg

Blownfuel, Tim_with_a_T, Tim and 3 others like this.
  28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Now I REALLY need to go back and put a smiley on that.

I like the T, but you know what? I bet I can count on one hand, the number of T Buckets that have a nice top. Why does it seem so hard to get that right?

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Funny, my land lord says that in the days I'm waiting for parts to show up, I'm really quiet and angry looking. And if the UPS truck is late!? I'm a nasty person to be around. He should see me if the wrong parts arrive!:mad::D

30. Here's a top I made 30 some years ago, kinda after some pictures in the R&C T-Bucket etiquette article, thought it looked OK without getting cartoonish. Came across the car a couple years ago, the Hartz cloth is shrunken and weathered; but still holding up. Too bad about the color and all the geegaws other owners have added to the car over the years. I liked it black. Kinda scary that it still has the same Mickey Thompson tires on the rear, now on wires instead of the Fenton Gyros. old t.jpg

need louvers ? likes this.