Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Lakewood scattershield question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Many years ago I bought a Lakewood scatter shield for a chevy.....it didn't come with the block plate. I'd like to fab one up but I don't know how thick the original plate was. Can somebody measure theirs and post it here?
    Thanks

2. Legendlives

Legendlives

About 3/16" IIRC

3. Rocky -
    Got one without the plate myself. Haven't had the need for it, but noticed that Speedway sells the "motor plate only'' for their explosion proof bellhousing. Item 515-8651 $69.99 Not Lakewood brand.

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Or you can buy them from Lakewood. Quick measurement on my FE was 1/8th. One for a SBF was .150

5. Fordors

Fordors

My Lakewood plate for SBC is .132, just under 10 ga. steel.

6. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I gots a aluminum one if you need to make a pattern.

7. slowmotion

slowmotion

Haven't been under mine recently. But from memory 3/16" seems about right (sbc).

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

My Lakewood block plate also measures .132.

9. 0.132"...great and thanks everybody! Joe, I may take a mini road trip to P.J. with a hunk-o-cardboard to take a pattern off'n yours..0.132'....got it.

10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Food for thought. Isn't the pattern on the lower half of the scatter shield ? Sure you've got to figure out the starter hole and oil pan notch. But really, how hard is that if one has the tools and ability already to make a duplicate ?

11. Yeah, but I want to get the crank-hole and starter hole right the first time and the real reason? I wanna go visit JOE COOL and see his project 57 chevy.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Half way thru my day I realized I was thinking inspection cover in describing how to make one. There's still the upper half to deal with. :confused: Carry on as planned. :oops:

13. Weedburner

Weedburner
    from Wa State

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

As is there in my post in the Lincoln Y block forum. It is really easy for the block plate. You only need to get the trans bearing retainer hole centered on the shield itself. If the block plate is a little off, who cares.

15. oj

oj

I bet you could lay the bellhousing on a piece of paper and trace it, locate the crank hole from the dowel pin holes, crank hole is generous don't need to be exact at all. Blocksaver plate has a lot more holes in different places than the holes going into the block anyway.

16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Last 3 posting's "Did I do that ?" [​IMG]