Register now to get rid of these ads!

chevy ll 4 banger ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lilbill, Nov 24, 2006.

1. These are great little motors. I just resurrected one from a 1989 boat that had not been run in at least 12 years. After doing the normal things to a motor that has been sitting this long, it started right up. We ran it for a short while to bring it up to operating temperature. No leaks or problems. 30 minutes later, it was in the back of a friend's pick-up truck, headed to his shop. It should be moving a nice little 28 A coupe down the road very soon.

BrandonB likes this.
  2. chiliman

chiliman
    from liberty mo
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Guys I have the 3.0 merkcruser got a water outlet off chevy 6 it cover the hole in the head had to tweek the hole a littlel in out let. Not sure on the thermost yet what have you guys done

3. modified1927

modified1927

On the piston question. I had my 2.5 bored to 4" and use standard 302 pistons flat top with 327 sm. journal rod. I had to work edge of the head a little to get rid of hot spots and am still using the 120 HP head with hardened seats, but trimmed out the web in the intake and use a button head allenhead in those 2 headbolt holes. Built a 2 carb intake with a pr of yh carters on it but am now fitting in a Clfford 4 barrel with a 390 Holley, I had bought a big cam from Clifford and Mallory dual point years ago. I took the car apart a few years ago and really need to get it back together again. front half of 27 Touring narrowed (a.k.a. Bo Jones) just my two cents worth

4. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Do you have some pictures? I'd like to see it all especially the YH Carter setup.

5. G4331

G4331

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Some years ago, my niece bought her son a 69 Nova 4 dr. with 4cyl/3spd on the tree.
    Wasn't running great, so had me look at it, found one bad spark plug wire, replaced it and also found a broken motor mount, which could not be found new ANYWHERE.
    l ultimately found a new one from another car and made an adapter and it bolted in.
    Man, those two fixes (surprisingly) really made that car come alive, but he just wasn't very excited about that "antique" as he called it, I think he was more into the ricer crowd.
    If I didn't have three projects going already, I would have bought it and put a Muncie 4 speed in it, that would have really been a fun car.

7. G4331

G4331

Hello Everyone. My subject is the Chevy 153. I am new here and and not sure where to post, so I am taking a shot in the dark. Like Everyone here, I am a fan of the old classics, I just don't have one yet. I do have a humdinger of a ride, probably unorthodox for this site but I need some help. Here goes: I happened upon a 87 or 88 3.0 Mercruiser and a 1962 Chevy 153 head. Removed Mercruiser head and marine stuff and donated to a muffler shop's scrap steel bin. Had machine shop go completely through 153 head, doing it all. After spending a few hundred bucks there, I bolted and torqued head on after doing a careful gasket search and left it alone for a while. Got a Clifford 153 intake later. Had a custom header made but it was more for the Mercruiser head. Very ill fitting, ports do not completely line up. Stainless flange, mild steel tubes, stainless exhaust tubing horizontal collector and stainless exhaust pipe connector flange at the bottom, all Jet Hot coated. -What a waste of money! Probably have $1,000 in that damn thing. It was put together one piece at a time over 2 years. A weld and grind here, a buff and coat there. I have a Weber carb on it and a Fluidampr balancer for a Chevy 250 six. Balancer neck was trimmed to fit the 153. Engine sounds great! Guess what it's in? A 96 S-10 ext. cab. 700R4 tranny is behind engine. I plan to post pics shortly. Ripped out computer and all wiring. Went back with a Painless wiring harness and I am imposing old school on this truck. The truck was an ebay find with a blown 2.2 and a new tranny. I bartered the tranny for the shop to remove engine, tranny, gas tank and rear end gear. Engine mounts were fabbed and a custom oil pan made. Everything else was cash and ouch! OK, so here is where I need the help..... I have seen some pics here of stainless intakes and exhaust made for the 153. Can someone here do that for Me and how much? I am not a rich man, especially after this 9 year project. In addition to paying a reasonable labor fee, I will throw in my ill fitting exhaust header free. It looks nice and may work for another application. The truck will be an oddball at car shows but will also be my daily driver. My new rear end gear is 3:73. I am hoping for a little power and great fuel economy. It will be my highway truck or "Efficiency Rod". Have no idea how it will actually turn out. Any stainless exhaust fabbers out there?

8. G4331

G4331

Pics of the Frankenstein header were taken before the Jet Hot coating. Header looks far better now.

Attached Files:

9. Kinky6

Kinky6

G4, It sounds like you have put a lot of effort into your project, but a modified S-10 truck is way past the '64/'65 year cut-off date for the HAMB. It may get deleted.

Moderators: Would it be possible to move G4's post over to the DogFight board? It seems that it may fit in over there, even though its not a 400 h.p. open track race car. K6

10. G4331

G4331

I wasn't aware of the rule, apologies. Just happened to notice mention of the 153 engine online. Would be thrilled to have a ride that fits the years that you talk about but no dice. I converted the steering to manual, if that helps. I know, I know, it doesn't. If my post can be moved rather than deleted, I am all for that. In the meantime, my email is G4331@ yahoo.com if someone can make a header for Me. Thanks.

11. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

12. G4331

G4331

Thank you, Sixball. I was about to buy but also found a non turbo repro, cast iron header. I am really wanting stainless but I can get this and do stainless later. Your note on flanges will be taken into serious consideration. When designing my header, I bought a 153 flange from them 10 years ago and bought a piece of 300 series stainless plate. The flange was used as a template and an exacting copy was water jet cut from plate. Strangely, the ports on my present header are quite off the ports of the old Mercruiser head and the replacement Chevy 153 head. The header bolts on but holes don't quite line up, causing serious restriction. I think that the header You suggested will do the trick.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Here is a link to pictures showing how I modified an Offenhauser 3X1 intake and a set of header flanges for 194-292 Chevy sixes to fit my 153 four cylinder head.
    100_0866.JPG 100_0867.JPG 100_0868.JPG
    Post #284 on page 10 of this thread shows a different exhaust option I am working on.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    6inarow and 29EHV8 like this.
  14. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

29EHV8 likes this.
  15. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Unfortunately, i think GM recently stopped selling this engine (?) :mad:

(the industrial and marine divisions)

16. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I don't know about that but there are thousands of them out there and lots of parts except speed equipment. There are also some new dual Webber manifolds in the works.

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  17. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A dual Weber with individual runners for a 181 head would be cool. I have a dual Weber for the 153 head but that wont work on the 181. A nice cast intake looks better to me than a fabricated sheet metal intake.

18. rexrogers

rexrogers

My son is using a 153 for his T roadster project. I just ordered the finned valve cover for it. I tried to locate the ones with just chevy embossed on the cover. But the finned one will look good. Thanks to this thread.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. jt1949

jt1949

Putting one in my 31' model a

Attached Files:

Tim likes this.
  20. chiliman

chiliman
    from liberty mo
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Hay man me to 30 roadster pickup

jt1949 likes this.
  21. Where did you order the finned valve cover?

Charlie Stephens

22. chiliman

chiliman
    from liberty mo
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I got the Mercury polished to put on mine

23. chiliman

chiliman
    from liberty mo
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Charles there Web site is 12bolt.com they have them on E Bay to

24. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Look about 12 posts above this one. There is a picture of the 12bolt,com offering. Pretty nice! Love the A coupe.

25. chiliman

chiliman
    from liberty mo
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Yeah it is a nice cover

26. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tom Lowe from here in Iowa makes that valve cover. Nice piece.

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  27. chiliman

chiliman
    from liberty mo
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I think that's the one there chatting about about 175 I think

28. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

He offers them in several stages of polish, oil filler, and breather positions.. I think said they start around $140 but not sure. He developed it from his six cylinder cover which I think has room for roller rockers. Good guy quality stuff. I think he is working on a timing cover.

29. chiliman

chiliman
    from liberty mo
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Yea they look cool for sure I probly would get one but done got the merkcruser one polished and it looks nice

30. Charlie, go to a boat shop.You should find one cheap as the 153/181 mercruiser is the engine in most small inboards.