Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Some horse trading...... and now I own a '37 Cabriolet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Al T, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Every tear drop (real ones) I've seen had the bulge on the bottom..... whoever built the car appreciated that I guess and took some artistic license. Maybe Ford got it wrong . lol
    The 39 Ford taillight is a classic......... whichever way installed.

2. That car doesn't need anything but wax & gas.

Love it.

3. I realize this air cleaner is way over used, but it does suit the car better.

1C1C3480-CF2A-4A39-9A12-15A61FC4A192_zpswnopazpq.JPG 1EDB2F27-B29C-4233-9A91-0997B494E08F_zpsoqukdyqj.JPG

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  4. Figured out how to put the top down over the week-end. The folding front side arms were tricky. Definitely need to remove the roll bar...... another winter project. I'll probably cut it above the angled supports and sleeve it. It doesn't hurt the look with the top up..... and does add some safety, but kills the car with the top down.

CFC2EAE1-0FB5-4E93-98C5-F5BE2331D770_zpsgpbszyfl.JPG

Allan

T-roaster, kiwijeff and exterminator like this.
  5. On second thought I think I'll remove it all together. It's just wrong. lol

6. I bought some hood sides from a fellow HAMB'er and they arrived today. They're going to look good painted and installed. They'll definitely make the car look less plastic. The Sawzall will be coming out this week-end to get rid of the rollbar. Small steps.....

7BC8068E-0AC4-4734-8499-950062D8F8AD_zpsdmyj4vsw.JPG

7. Very cool! Good luck with it!

8. phat rat

phat rat

Nice. One thing though, that Caddy air cleaner is a real restriction for the BBC. I had one on the cpe at first and I couldn't believe the difference it made performance wise when I tried an open element air cleaner. Take the car out and put it through the paces with and without the Caddy top and you'll see what I mean

9. Thanks for the heads up. I'll try that.

10. Nice car, I agree just drive it and have fun. The rollbar does look out of place, and the new hood sides help break up the smoothie look.

11. Found some time today to do a few little things on the car. The rear tips didn't suit the car and the rear tire carrier was just never going to work period.
    No more 4" exhaust tips...... or tire carrier.

EBBBB82C-41D9-40D4-AA54-0D10E4DC7E79_zpsvpyrpmw6.jpg ..... and then I decided to throw the skirts on to see what it looks like. It definitely changes the look of the car. I like it.
    E820BE3C-02FB-4089-9523-9501C4A4DDC8_zpsaqsd7j82.jpg

Allan

12. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Make it look like what pleases your eye.

13. 37s are starting to shine.
    This one is very cool, congrats.
    A few small changes, as you've said, and you have a winner.

Love the tail lights. Always annoys me that Ford called their lights, teardrops.
    They shoulda called em, tear ups, as the word drop implys, a downward direction.

14. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Very nice sir.Please keep the updates coming.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

15. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beautiful car . The things you have done to it has cleaned up the lines and added to it in a positive way . You did make a great trade.

16. 1low52

1low52

I love the direction you're going.
    Personally, I think a slight altitude adjustment in the rear would enhance the 'custom' look with skirts.

17. Mr Large

Mr Large

Love it , that's a beautiful car

18. I haven't updated this in a while but I have been working on the car. As identified by Gearhead Graphics the wiring under the hood was a mess. The previous owner had bypassed the thermostatic control for the fans and installed a switch in the engine bay as well as running a popper switch for the doors as he didn't get a remote when he bought the car...... along with a bunch of wires that were installed just way to long creating a mess. I picked up a new "brain" and remotes from Dakota Digital and decided to rewire the fans (although I'll be replacing them with a Cooling Components unit if it will fit) so they once again ran off the thermostatic switch. I also wasn't happy with the MSD box mounted front and center on the firewall so I eliminated that and the MSD distributor and will be replacing it with an older Mallory dual point. At the same time I also got rid of the Tach mounted on the dash. I'll have to do a little bit of repair to the dash to repair the mounting bracket holes..... but still think it looks way better even with the holes.
    Next up...... getting rid of a roll bar.

Before
    BCC538F2-208D-432D-9407-67C9A7E1D100_zpshdt0qa5w.JPG

After

C4038A15-C0E8-4D73-8877-4C5E7CB9431E_zpskgeeim5r.JPG

The dash looks so much better also......even with the two holes that need to be filled.

E58EF17A-EDB5-44A1-91B4-D76D959844FF_zps4mnnxkvu.JPG

FF69AB39-8C1E-41F2-86E3-12BECFB50AE8_zpschbowitb.JPG

More updates coming.

Allan

RHRH3P, Algoma56 and Blue One like this.
  19. For the dash, how about just put a sticker over that area for temporary cover?

20. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

I think the skirts look great, and your underhood cleanup looks much better. The dash is better too. Next (if it were my car) I'd pull the dash plate that surrounds the A/C controls and grind the advertising off, then repaint it black. Garish logos turn me off. That's the reason I like it so much better without the electronic ignition module on the firewall and the rev counter on the dash. Businesses should expect to pay me if they want me to advertise their products.

While I'm at it, I might take off the A/C/ vent surround and repaint it black too. That would reduce the plastic 90s look a bit. I might grind off the sharp corners with a bit of sandpaper before the repaint, too.

21. It turns out the original builder actually had a plan! I was planning on starting cutting to remove the rollbar. Pulled back the cover and took a closer look and it's already sleeved with a piece of stainless pipe. A few taps with a rubber mallet and no more rollbar. Looks much cleaner without. Nice thing about it is it's easy enough to reinstall if the trip warrants it. It's not very often a task ends up being less work rather than more in my playhouse...........
    38F7E4C4-3A1C-4F4F-9E97-202EEBFE2199.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    mgtstumpy, Stogy, LBCD and 2 others like this.
  22. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That's a very narrow minded attitude.
    The Vintage Air logo is a logo that stands for quality and there is a lot of history in what Jack Chisenhal has done for the hobby in general.
    https://theshopmag.com/features/jac...sen-lifetime-achievement-award-hrr-trade-show

23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Comin' into gorgeous...Al, just give the rear 2" of drop, maybe set some weighty objects in the trunk for an eyeballin'. Do it outside, for best perspective.

Can't believe anyone would favor this beauty without her skirts!
    Leave a garish advert in the middle of a classic custom dash to 'broaden your mind'???
    Yeah. May want to consider that. :eek::confused:

Bandit Billy likes this.
  24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love your car. Operative word in that sentence is "your" so do with my and everyone else's comments as you please. Looks way better without the roll bar. Id vote in favor of losing that ac controller maybe hiding it and the air duct behind a center dash speaker cover maybe? And keep the hood sides on it. Vintage air is cool... but not groovy.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, and hell yes on the skirts!

Atwater Mike likes this.
  26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I say ditch the skirts :cool:
    After all, what's better than a real beauty after you remove her skirt ? ;) :)

27. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

28. If it was mine:
    Lower the rear of the car.. loose the ribbed bumpers and replace with either 37 bumpers or 41 ford bumpers. If you plan to keep the Briz bumpers, bring the rear bumper up close and trim the ends off as needed to look nice. I'd also sand off the A/C logo on the dash...no disrespect to my old buddy, Jack. Not sure on the skirts.
    The changes you've already made are definitely what I'd have done....and again, this is just an opinion.
    Does the big block stay cool with the new hood sides in place?

29. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like where your going here Blue! But a tight skirt and a sexy strut are better in public. :rolleyes: