Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage What is important to you when attending a car show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tommyk74, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Tommyk74

Tommyk74
    from Nashville

What are the top three things you think are most important or attractive about a GOOD car or bike show location, music, content, theme, attendance, vendors, swap meet, admission price, etc. or what ever. Let me know what you think.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

#1 What is it for.... Charity, Organization, For profit.
    #2Location.... Business, Park, Race facility.
    #3 Entry Fee..... Bang for your buck, unless for a good charity!
    KK

hrm2k, mad mikey, Tommyk74 and 2 others like this.
  3. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Warm weather, a parking spot in the shade and lots of scantily clad women.... :D

fordflambe, Rich S., weps and 22 others like this.
  4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Shade shade shade.
    At least 100 or more cars in attendance. No more the 1000 cars.
    Reasonable entrance fee.
    Great food booths.
    Preferably barbecued at site.

weps and Bandit Billy like this.

5. Tommyk74

Tommyk74
    from Nashville

One of my favorite shows I attend is bearersville in Louisville Ky these guy alway nail the location. It used to be in an older part of town in a neighborhood. This past year it looked to be in an old warehousing district it made for cool photos and parking. But the cars that show up are alway cool.

6. Tommyk74

Tommyk74
    from Nashville

I feel you on the shade I've been to a lot of parking lot shows and burn up every time

DougO68 likes this.
  7. sunbeam

sunbeam

If the cars look like they are driven.

8. I actually consider the music a distraction since it is usually too loud.

Charlie Stephens

9. flatford39

flatford39

swap meet. No swap meet not worth going to.

10. wicarnut

wicarnut

#1 The Weather, Been doing this a long time, cold and raining, I stay home.(I'm Old) #2 The venue, prefer park setting, tree's, shade, grass, good food, good music. #3 The route, do not mind avoiding "I" system, country roads are OK with me, I have time, hate driving in big city traffic, avoid it as much as I can. (I'm Retired) #4 Not a deal breaker, but a lot of class's, awards are a nice secondary bonus, going home with a trophy is fun, but I don't go home PO'd if I/we do not win a award, I guess my #1, #2 and #3 are what I think about most and I still have not been to every show in Wisconsin, Upper Michigan, Minnesota, so I like to pick out some new venues every year to try, hope to be "Cruisin" to a show or local cruise in, (Its a beautiful day here, just Me and My Mercury were out cruising down the road today) with friends till my time exspires and I go to the "Big Show"

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    bobg1951chevy likes this.
  11. 1. Family friendly (half-naked chicks, swearing, fighting, smoking, getting arrested- if people aren't ok with my 8 and 10 year old doing all of these, then I bail)
    2. Food (greasier the better, no vegetables)
    3. Interesting cars (I appreciate everybody's efforts, even gold chainers, lawn chair trolls, technology dweebs, tattooed/pierced knuckle draggers, homely pin-up girls, awkward basement dwellers, guys in iron lungs...) it's all good! Normal people make me sick.

12. 2935ford

2935ford

Is it Ok if we don't like attending car shows? :)

13. Tommyk74

Tommyk74
    from Nashville

If I ever do a show going to hire clunker as a hype man haha

14. bchctybob

bchctybob

A pleasant location with a coherent layout, shade and convenient bathroom facilities. Shade and water are very important for shows that take place during the hot summer days. Some shows have "Rent-a Restrooms" only at one end of the show grounds, it's nice to have them at various locations, especially at the larger shows.
    Decent food and a place to sit and eat it is nice too.

Texas57 and falcongeorge like this.
  15. I'm retired so cost to get in is most important to me. Why can't we have a 5 or 10 buck entrance fee?
    Then the shade
    And a swap meet. I have gotten to where I don't go if they don't have a swap meet

As for music, I wish for goodness sake that people would STOP playing that godawful music at car shows. Its always too loud and of bad taste.

16. The cars....I have been going to shows for many years,one in particular has expanded the cut off to the extent I saw a Lamborghini Countach
    parked beside a 40 Ford....this is not for me,I prefer a set cut off similar to the Hamb.

I like designated parking areas,if you want to park there that's great if not that's fine too.

Reasonably price room rates when your away from home,some of the bigger shows that have been I one area for years the motel owners hammer there guest more and more every year suck. HRP

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Classic!

1blown57 and wraymen like this.
  18. mike bowling

mike bowling

I'd rather hide in the garage.
    The last time I went to a local "car show", I went in my '31 coupe. There was a Miata convertible, a T-bucket, a 70's GTO ( rough), a 4 dr. '57 Chevy ( rougher), and some guy in a Roush 7 million horsepower Mustang. I got my free ice cream and left.
    Not my Tribe.

19. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice venue, more shade the better. Some type of cut off, I can see all the corvettes,mustangs, and camaros at the mall. The sponsors come around and talk to the participants, like they actually enjoy having them bring their cars to their show.

20. bchctybob

bchctybob

X2 on the swap meet, even a small one makes a show a whole lot better. And a cutoff date? Hell yes - who wants to park their old Ford next to some jacked up 2014 4x4 with purple suspension or a new stock Corvette or Mustang.

21. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

walking stone, too many swap meet areas at a show have large rocks, making it hard to walk for an old fart

22. Turn the damn music down! For Christ's sake don't "direct" me to park in front of those speakers. I've been to events where you couldn't even have a conversation with someone about their car because of the volume of the music.

MMM1693, 41woodie, Texas57 and 16 others like this.
  23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

When I used to go, the free ones were the best ones. See, as I started participating in shows, I began to wonder, "Why am I paying to have people look at my car?" Little by little, it didn't make sense. I could get looked at by just driving around.

There's a car club in Houston called the "H-Bombs". They have a show (FREE) around the middle of April. They sell food and soft drinks. The profits from that allow them to have a HUGE show on Fathers Day. And guess what? THAT one is FREE, too. They rent a large venue and even have enough to hire a band. So, it can be done. Maybe a lot of show organizers need to take a look at what's going on. They could come up with a REASONABLE fee for spectators, if they need a profit so damn much.

IMO, paying to have people look at my car is bullshit.

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Thank you! I've driven to shows, gotten lost and found them because the gawd damn music was so loud, I could hear it 10 blocks away!

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Swap meets and car shows are two different things in my book. When I go to a swap meet its all business. Car shows are much more laid back for me.
    I prefer a variety of cars. I am not there for music, I am there for cars. Second to the overall caliber of the cars there, the venue is important. Grass, shade and trees, I prefer shows that are held in parks, and a laid back atmosphere. But the CALIBER of cars trumps all that. My favorite local show is held at a car dealership, the venue couldnt be much less pleasant, but the caliber of cars that show up for that show totally trumps that.
    I dig WELL EXECUTED period cars, muscle cars, street rods, street racer type cars, exectera, I am not a one-trick pony. Too much repetition bores me pretty quick. Show me something I haven't seen before.

brad2v, clunker, 57 Fargo and 2 others like this.
  26. It's always nice if there is some sort of distraction going on, I mean sometimes you've seen most of the cars dozens of times before (especially small local shows) so how long does it take to check 'em out. Shows held in conjunction with nostalgia drags or at an old dirt track, like the Jalopy Showdown, are exceptional. Door prizes like car wax, cases of oil, set of screwdrivers, bundles of shop rags are far more appreciated than cheap trophies and you can actually use them instead of dusting them.

27. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

#1 the cost....I dont understand why someone would pay to let others look at your car....all the money and time invested and then pay someone to come look at it. When I go to a car show, I usually park outside the barricades and walk in. If I need someone to look at my car it usually just takes a trip to the gas station or local restraunt for lunch.

28. Leakie

Leakie

1. A place that is fun to drive to
    2. Friends, the more the better
    3. Driving out of there with my friends, I've seen enough cars, let's roll!

29. Don't double park cars just to pack more into the show. I think that's actually illegal. If I need to leave because of an emergency, I don't feel like tracking down Joe Schmo and getting him to move his car.

Texas57, loudbang, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  30. Half-naked woman and a nice shit house and cars not parked on top of each other, a way to get out if you have to leave early..