Register now to get rid of these ads!

Part Two of Bagging a 49-54 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by screwtheman, Mar 24, 2006.

1. screwtheman

screwtheman

In the latest Lowrider mag is out. The first article last month about the front was OK. But it left me with some questions. But I was really looking forward to the rear bag article. Uh... :eek:

I'm no suspension or bag expert, but I was less than impressed with the setup. I thought it was a little hokey that the frame notch height wasn't calculated beforehand and they had to weld 2 inch "legs" on the bridge piece to get the axle to bridge clearance correct. But it looks like it would work ok. But when they started putting it together is when they lost my confidence. They put 4 inch blocks in with the single original main leaf and then they used the original shocks. Check out that scrub line! I was really hoping for some 4 link or trailing arm set up.

Maybe I'm being overly critical. I guess it will work (as in the wheels will probably not fall off).

Attached Files:

2. Killer

Killer

main leafs and blocks with air bags scares me...

I've seen alot of broken main leafs.

3. markanthony

markanthony

I've seen mine broken and some nice modifications to the road done...4, 5/8" ditches... I wasn't running bags, just 4 of the seven springs with 3" blocks. I didn't think about scrub line until that point, just glad my ignorance only cost me a set of bolts. That's pretty scary for a daily (on the freeway) driver. That's why I threw away the stupid blocks and went for de-arched springs all seven leafs... ended up even lower than with blocks, now if I loose a tire I'll just have to deal with that, not the possible 70mph dead stop...

Scary to say the least, but it just goes to show that you need to know what a shop is going to do before you pay them to do it....

4. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Its OK! they used moon-eyes custom u-bolts! never mind the bollocks, heres Lowrider.

5. screwtheman

screwtheman

BTT. Save your money if you're only buying the mag for the article. :D

6. GRSMNKYCUSTOMS

GRSMNKYCUSTOMS
    from TUCSON

there are so many more mistakes in that article, that you havent even touched on. all 3 articles.

but remember the tech is named BAGGIN A BOMB ON A BUDGET. thats why they used the rear leafs, and so on. besides lowrider didnt do the install... the famous TOVAR brothers did, and they build some bad ass cars.

its lowrider magazine, these cars ride low and slow,...with stock ass straight 6's in em, not like we do it, with built ass motors and shit.

the article gives a decent idea of how to bag a car like that on a budget, plain and simple.

different applications for different genres.

7. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

i'm glad i'm not the only one who thought the back end was a accident waiting to happen. that's horrible, i wouldn't trust it for anything.

8. slammy

slammy

LMAO!

9. screwtheman

screwtheman

Yeah, like I said, I'm sure it works fine and I try not to be the "that'll-never-work-if-it's-1/16-off!" guy. I was just a little disappointed because I've been putting so much thought into bagging my '54 daily (while I wait for $$$).

I'm still "low and slow" with a 235, cut coils, and 3" blocks. I just run headers and straight exhaust so it sounds really fast. :rolleyes: