Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Apache door issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by belair, Oct 29, 2016.

1. belair

belair

Can't get the passenger door on my 58 truck to stay latched. It will click two times as i push it closed, then come back out one click. The latch on the door will click twice if I work it with the food open. The strikers are new. I have adjusted the striker to no end, finally hogging out the holes so I could get lots more adjustment. Still no joy. If it's the latch, why does it work right when I accuate it with the door open and not when I close the door? Thanks for whatever ideas you might have.

2. squirrel

squirrel

Probably the latch. But how well does the door fit?

Some of them are just a bear to get working right.

3. belair

belair

It fits good, a little low in the back, but not bad. I was wondering about the latch, but I can't get it to fail with door open. Time to call Owens Salvage, I think.

4. F&J

F&J

I posted a day or two ago.

that design carried through till end of 63. It can make common sense seem wrong :) . New door gasket makes it MUCH worse. The latch has wear. Look at the small rivet head on the part that sticks out beyond the latch teeth. If it is loose and flopping in the hole, weld it solid. That is a good start.

Then reverse your common sense. If you adjust the striker so it clicks twice, but door seems to need to go in further, "sometimes" the striker needs to come out a tick...especially if you think it's in way farther than it was when new.(you said you egged the holes is why I suggest "sometimes it's in too far")

On severe worn latches before repros came out, I would need to weld a dot shaped bump on one side of one sriker tooth. That bump forces the latch teeth to rotate just enough more, to get the second solid click. The way that rocker works, is the first tooth needs to fit good enough to drag the second tooth in far enough.

Before I knew how to fix these, I literally broke the deluxe plastic armrest right off when slamming the dickens out of the right door on a 63 suburban

5. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

Altman easy latch kit, worked perfectly on my 49 Chevy truck and only took a few hours to do both doors.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Repop stickers are made incorrectly. The part the star wheel hits is shaped wrong. That's one thing we found.

7. belair

belair

That's good to know, 32, but my original and repop fail on the passenger side, repop works good on driver's. But I will certainly keep this in mind.