Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures need advice on go pro

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Oct 28, 2016.

1. I'm looking to purchase a go pro for the race car. there seems to be several models available. what works best? i plan on using it only on the car. reduced vibration and good sound quality are important to me.

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Maybe someone will PM you with help on that but you have already gone pro.

racer-x and loudbang like this.
  3. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I have a go pro black. I have a mount to put in on the back of my English Setter, the video is amazing. When he is running it is clear video. Hood of jeep at 60 mph great video that was also clear. I have mine in a water proof case so sound is not that great.
    Tony

4. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They do make a GoPro HD Motorsports Hero, maybe that has some features suited to your wants. There are also roll bar mounts available for most versions of GoPro.

loudbang likes this.

5. ratman

ratman

Got a Gopro Hero 4 Black edition and its great. You wont regret it.

loudbang likes this.
  6. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Myself I have a go pro 2 ,was looking to update .I think I better call go pro and talk to someone there the pretty expensive now $400 range and up

7. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I have a Hero4 Silver. This model has the built-in touchscreen which allows you to hold it and use it like a camcorder. The unit has a good built-in mic, but for motorsports you really should get the external microphone adapter and even a cheap microphone externally mounted will have better sound.

The only downside to these cameras is that they have no zoom lens.

loudbang and racer-x like this.
  8. Unless you need 4000k (uhd) I recommend the SJcam (Google it) is a knock off of the GoPro. it's a great little unit. I've had no problems with mine. they have great reviews . they are NOT a cheap imitation. but the are much less expensive . The thing I like best about them? Removable battery! I have 3 battery's for mine. just swap them out and keep on recording.

9. BJR

BJR

I believe the "Traditional" Go Pro's video is in black & white.

10. Speed~On

Speed~On

I have a Go Pro. They shoot great high quality HD video. I have used it in my hot rod numerous times. Has a great roll bar mount. You don't need one with a touch screen. There is a free Go Pro app. for any smart phone and the app is awesome. The video you're shooting is displayed on your phone screen. Basically you have a large monitor of what you're shooting. You have complete control of your Go Pro from the app/phone. This could be nice for you at the drag strip. Mount your Go Pro to your roll bar, then when you're strapped in to your harness you won't have to try and turn around and hit the record button on the camera. Just have your phone laying there and control it from the app. This will also allow you to mount your camera in the correct spot for the best shot. (because you can see what you're shooting)
    I would suggest you make the investment, its well worth it. They are also waterproof. I brought mine on a Disney cruise. I was shooting video under water of my kids, both in the pool and in the ocean. You'll love the camera.

11. all these responses and no video?
    they can't be that good, show us some proof.........:D

loudbang and wraymen like this.
  12. I understand Kodak has come out with a 360 degree one but don't know much about it.
    71z4aXKSylL__SL1500_.jpg

13. thanks for all of the responses so far. the go pro web site doesn't do a good job breaking down the different cameras. my sons is a early camera. it has made some good video mounted on my car. he said they have gotten much better since his was offered. i just don't want to over buy or under buy.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Here's a short clip. Make sure you have the replay set on HD 720 or 1080, full screen, and crank up the sound!

15. Thanks for that short video clip. Went great with my coffee. What a way to start the day!

16. upspirate

upspirate

I want a video camera , but most of the Go-Pros I've seen have a "fish eye lens effect" that I don't care for. It messes with my brain when I watch something that I know has a straight edge and appears curved as well as changes curves with the motion. Is there a setting on any of the models that does away with this , or any other brand that does? I also need water-proof for ot boating/kayaking etc.

17. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

All GoPro cameras have the wide view effect. That's probably the main attraction for them, but they also have medium and narrow view just like a regular camcorder or cellphone camera.

loudbang and upspirate like this.
  18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Hale Motorsports TC/TCB team had a 360fly 4k 360º camera on the TC car this year at Laguna Seca.

I was the closest to a ride-along that I could get from the pit.

https://www.360fly.com/360fly-4k
    [​IMG]

racer-x likes this.
  19. loudbang likes this.
  20. i like the price.

21. I've got the SJ5000+ which has the wifi. Got all the accessories, waterproof case, and an extra battery. All for $99 off eBay. Very, very happy with it.

22. Last edited: Oct 31, 2016