Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New Member First A Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Doug Latimer, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Doug Latimer

Doug Latimer

Hello. I have been lurking here for years, watching, learning , and loving the information and builds. I have always been a vintage motorcycle guy with a dream of someday building a traditional Hot Rod. Well last weekend after months of searching the right start to a build showed up on my local craigslist. A 1930 Model A Roadster body , frame , and misc parts for the right price. I have the Tardel book and have been reading and learning. Anyways I thought I would introduce myself and post some pictures of my pile of parts.

texkbc likes this.
  2. Welcome...feel free to post some vintage motorcycle pics too!

3. belair

belair

As Larry would've said by now, "patiently waiting for the pics."

1927graham and Texas Webb like this.
  4. Doug Latimer

Doug Latimer

Ok I am old and not real quick with this sort of thing. Easiest way to post pictures?

5. Doug Latimer

Doug Latimer

6. Doug Latimer

Doug Latimer

7. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

You'll have plenty of company, lots of A builds. Post some pics '

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Doug Latimer

Doug Latimer

You get the motorcycle thing no more dirtying the forum with those........it's about the A

9. F&J

F&J

welcome to the "coupester" group. Yours was a coupe, or cabriolet, etc.... not a roadster originally.

I turned my ex-coupe into a convertible style with roll-up side windows and a heater/defroster, because we have a lot of non-summer days.

10. Doug Latimer

Doug Latimer

Please educate me

11. Following.And nice pics.

12. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

How can you tell ?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. F&J

F&J

Meaning what this car body was? If so, look at the width of the door, from front to back. A roadster door is very narrow compared to yours, and roadster doors are very thin due to not having space for side glass.

Not to cause dismay, as there are quite a few Model A coupsters on here that look great.

I will find some pics or a thread...soon

Dino64 likes this.
  14. F&J

F&J

Here we go...the recent Coupester thread:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/calling-all-coupesters-lets-see-em.945002/

Don't pay any attention to the hamb haters... they have their heads up you know where.. Coupes have been converted to open rods longer than they have been alive. Some converions are not so good, some are fantastic. The sky is the limit, and my advice is not to try to disguise what it once was. Make it nice, and it will get you own the road just fine.

Speaking of hamb asshats.... we were once told by a 32 Ford cabriolet owner here, that "we were wasting our time, trying to build a cabriolet from a coupe" (that lost it's roof decades ago)

I just got mine on the road this month. Not to sound obnoxious, but I have driven countless cool cars including fancy customers cars, for 49 years, and my coupester gets 10 times the smiles and waves of any of them. These "smilers" likely don't know the year/model, nor what decade it represents....they just like the heck out of it
    DSCN0759.JPG

T-roaster, patmanta, Bugguts and 2 others like this.
  15. Doug Latimer

Doug Latimer

Thank you F&J. I now understand. Very new to this but eager to learn. I am finishing up( by finishing up I mean mechanically not a restore) the 1959 Harley Duo Glide in above pictures then settling in on the model A. There was a brand new black canvas top that came with the parts that I will not be using. How do I tell if it is for a coupester or roadster?

Roger53 likes this.
  16. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

Doug don't feel old, I'm 77 and just sterted a new 27 T Tudor build. Keeps us goin'.

Phil Coopy

Roger53 and Dino64 like this.
  17. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The upper body line on a roadster is different then the closed cars such as a Coupe which your car started out as.
    Nothing wrong with that, it can still be a cool car.

A roadster.JPG

18. Post 22 M shows it all.

19. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Welcome to the HAMB bro. The original roadster will have longer quarter panels to make up the difference of the doors. Roadster doors are only 23 or so inches wide from cowl to quarter. Coupes doors are 4 inches wider. Mine is a roadster (29) look at quarter in front of rear wheel then compare to yours. You will have more room in your car too, enjoy. Don't be afraid to ask questions, many of us are here to help. 1477511285298.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

T-roaster and patmanta like this.
  20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Welcome to the HAMB, good luck with your A project, looks like you have a full shop with everything you need to build it. Bob

21. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Welcome to the HAMB....you've got a real nice project there for sure!;) A lot of us live and breathe this stuff every day & we all start with a lot of questions....have fun with your car!

22. Welcome from Southern MN.

23. Doug Latimer

Doug Latimer

Good group here thanks for the welcomes and comments. So I have a coupe! It's all good. More room is better and maybe I will chop a top and put it on. Lots of decisions to be made. For now its going to sit and watch me finish up the pan head and I do have a triumph to do some work on for a friend. Then it will be Hot Rod time! I have learned over the years that it best to ease into it and develop a solid plan to deviate from. I have always admired the Rod scene but the bug bit me when a friend of mine went to TROG as a spectator then back the next year on a bike. I am not looking to race there but love the event and the machines. I love the idea of a flat head but I have a good 283 and transmission squirreled away. So for now its gather parts hang around here and learn. The body parts I have are in amazingly good condition for the rust belt. I am thinking the paint is already finished?

F&J and patmanta like this.
  24. brady1929

brady1929

25. Bugguts

Bugguts

Welcome! Your project is cool as all get out. Enjoy the build and the ride!

26. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Box that frame up, drop the 283 in and get down the road!

F&J likes this.
  27. BigKel

BigKel

Could this body have been a sport coupe. The panel above the deck lid is it original?

28. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I'm not the guy to ask; I'm not familiar enough with anything approaching a subtle difference on A coupe/roadster bodies.

BUT IT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER.

It's a nice body in nice shape and will make a nice hot rod in short order.

Late to the Party likes this.
  29. welcome to the party ... nice set of part(s) you have there and cant wait to see the end result of it =0)

30. Welcome, from PA. I like your project, will make a fine hot rod.:D:cool: