Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 50 ford power steering?????????????????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gasser1, Oct 27, 2016.

1. PS suggestions for a 1950 Ford Custom Shoebox.

Other then the Volva box (cant be found at a fair price) and a rack and pinion unit( hoar stories on messed up geometry and turning radius) what other gear box have you put on a 1949 or1950 ford (I herd a 51 is deferent but I don't know for sure).

I seen where a man said he put dodge d50 pickup box and steering link but no pictures or description on how he done it so not sure it even worked.

have heard a f100 f150 box from 70 would work but again no pictures or description on how or if it actually worked right, or what needed to be modified.

65-69 Mustang box which is basically a manual box with a slave cylinder attached to the drag link

The stock box is junk (previous owner trying to dismantle it and parts are missing.)
    If the car did not have all Jamco suspension under it ($4500 And the parts are for sale on H.A.M.B.) I would either do a fat man or similar clip but hate thrashing the Jamco stuff (I have it under My 53 Ford and like it). So wondering what PS gear box would work.

I did a Borgeson box in my 53 ford and 59 ford happy with them. but they do not list a box for the 50 ford. Has any one tried adapting there 52-59 box to a 50 ford?

An Electric unit wont work as the current box is bad and missing pc.

Any other options?

I have been digging around and most comments are from people that herd that some thing might work or they were going to try some thing and post back but never followed through so no way of telling if it actually worked.
    If you know of something that will work pictures and a description would help
    Thanks
    Help me save this car
    Dan
    19504.jpg

2. I have a Fatman front clip with the correct rack and pinion. I would have to look it up but it's around a 85 mustang rack. Turns like a dream and it not power assist. You can always call Fatman and talk to them.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

sent PM

Gasser1 likes this.
  4. I answered your question over in the shoebox social forum, but I'll put it here for visibility. I've been doing some research myself, I found a place called Extreme Kustoms in CA that offers a system that uses a Nissan box. They're on the auction site here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-1950-1...stall-Kit-EXK-Custom-Hot-Rat-Rod/182331361702 (without box)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-1950-1...ring-Kit-49-50-51-Custom-Rat-Rod/182317781697 (with box)

No idea how well they work, but it is an option. Also, I know Shoebox Central has a rebuild service for $400 + $150 core charge, if yours is in bad condition it may still be OK as a core.

5. thanks Hnstray and critchdizzle

6. manyolcars

manyolcars

The original steering is good and very easy. Just rebuild an original box. I have been driving this Crestliner for 5 years and see no need to change anything crestlinerskirts.jpg

7. Good point @manyolcars. I've seen several times that, if properly rebuilt, adjusted, and lubed, the stock steering box works just fine. Not to mention that every single replacement (whether Volvo, the Nissan I posted, or the Toyota that Jamco sells) requires substantial modification to the steering column. I've never driven one (or, for that matter, ridden in one or even heard one run; the first time I laid eyes on one in person was when I picked mine up) so I can't speak to the amount of effort required to steer, but with the size of the steering wheel I'm going to guess it's at least manageable. I'm personally leaning toward getting the stocker rebuilt on mine, but I have kept my eyes open.

8. I agree. But when you trade for a car and the previous owner pulled part of the gear box apart and lost parts and damaged others it hard to rebuilt it.

personally either way the column would get a tilt column head grafted to it I have done a copal now and they retain the original 3 on the tree standard shifter and linkage

9. A newer version of the old and always rare Volvo box is found in the Caddillac Cateras. Same box just a few generations newer and easily found.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  10. manyolcars

manyolcars

It cant be hard to find one to rebuild

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I would be more worried about stopping quicker then steering,with a good box those cars steered good if you do not put a real heavy motor in it.

12. Junkyardjeff:::::::::

It has the Jamco front end kit with disc brakes and disc on 9" in the rear duel master cylinder a duel diaphragm 8" boaster so stopping should not be a problem.

The stock steering box is there just not enough parts to rebuild. So thought I would put power steering on it so even my 78 year old mother could drive it.

The engine will be a Y-block with 3 sp over drive. I built for my 59 ford and the carbs would not clear the hood on it .So the engine is on the heavy side 302 would be lighter but the Y-Block is already built and needs a home
    IMG_0426.JPG

IMG_0427.JPG

IMG_0445.JPG

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    Cooon and Zapato like this.
  13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I like the idea of a Y block in it and a rebuilt stock steering box should do the job just keep a original sized steering wheel,if there was a p/s kit that did not require much surgery I would have p/s in my 55 but I rebuilt the box and it does just fine. I would like to trade you a decent 302 for the Y block since I want to put one back in my 55 soon.

14. @shoeboxchris what kind of condition does the steering box core need to be in for exchange? Meant to ask you today for @Gasser1 but forgot.

15. critchdizzle:::::::::
    box has to be rebuild able or pay $150 core charge (if it is complete it is probably rebuild able)

junkyardjeff::::::::
    As far as swapping the Y-Block for the 302, I would have time doing it, I have over $3500 in part alone tied up in the Y-Block not to mention the labor in boring and vating the block. and my time putting in the hardened seat in the heads. $1100 in just the 2 chrome Stromberg's. $3500 may seem like a lot for parts but Y-Blocks ant cheep to build. In contrast, The 5.0 I built for the 59 has only $2200 in parts. if it was a sb Chevy probably would be around $1800. most I ever spent for parts to build a engine was the 331 Hemi for my model A over $6000. I wonder what a proper built flat head would eat up in parts????

Cutting down my 53 and 59 column was not bad. The 59 was easy to kept the factory shifter. and added a tilt mechanism to the top with the stock wheel

The 53 had to go to floor shifter but I think I found away to put it back on the column. .more room between the box and firewall. I lure new tricks with time

I personally would put PS on everything if it was possibly. I all ready have the PS pump bracket (Air compressor and alternator also ) made on the Y-Block and have found a Volvo box to use. but still may go with a fat man type clip Just does not go low enough with the Jamco parts. If I can sell the Jamco parts that came with the car will defiantly go with a fat man sub.

16. I feel your pain guys. Here is a couple photos of the steering column in my Avitar. I drive the Crap out of this thing and have been for 10 years now. Low or Low enough is a bit different for each of us. Here is how mine sits today. NO Fat Man stuff here and No cut coils.
    20160624_160403.jpg
    It has the Stock (or what's left of it) automatic steering column. 51 Vicky 002.jpg
    The factory selector is connected to a 700-R-4 and works full range with Park on P, Nuteral on the N, and first gear on L. You bet it took some work but what don't.
    51 Vicky 007.jpg
    Yep, that's power steering. Look things over. You can do it too.
    The Wizzard

17. Right, I was tagging Chris from Shoebox Central to ask him for his input. If yours is missing stuff he replaces anyways, may still be worth it. For me, the column modifications required for PS put it out of my league; I don't trust my fab skills enough to do what's involved on such a crucial system.

18. Pist-n-broke:::::::Nice car
    It looks like a gm steering box if it is GM did it hurt the turning radius any???????
    If not what type steering box is it Volvo???? and did it effect turning radius

It almost looks like a nova or s-10 clip, if it is there is nothing wrong with that in my book I have put a lot of nova and Camaro under old cars in the last 25 years.

As far as setting low enough with air dumped I like the frame about 2" off the ground that way with the bags part inflated 30# rear 60# front I usually have 6" ground clearance and a good smooth ride
    the avatar of my 53 is dumped its 2.5" can go as high as 9" from side to ground about how I like them.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  19. Gasser1; Good eye. So let me just say this. When the H.A.M.B. went through the change here a while back the powers to be gave me a serious Scolding for promoting what's under my 51. I was told if I wanted to stay on board to just Stop talking about it. M-2 was bunched into the same things not to be talked about. Personally I think Air Bags should have been included but I'm not the Boss (or a Mod). This is supposed to be all Old School and as they were and there are some rules actually posted pertaining.
    I can answer with this. Yes it's a GM box, it actually improved my turning radi. No it's not S-10. You couldn't Pay me to own anything Air Ride although I have built and installed several. I'm to Old School for that stuff (big Chuckle). I'll be 70 before the end of the year.
    So look closer and you'll see the front Body mount is "adjusted" to clear things. There use to be several photos of the rolling frame prior to replacing the Body. It's not just a steering Box change.
    The Wizzard

20. 1gearhead

1gearhead

I have done two Mercs and one Ford 1950 to 1951 using a power steering box designed for converting a tri five chevy to intergal power steering. These are Saginaw 605 or 500. Sold by several places, CPP, POL just to name a couple. Not a swap for the amatuer, but it does work very well. You must fabricate a mounting plate to secure the box and make up a mount for the GM power steering pump on the Ford or whatever engine is in the car.

21. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

the Cavalier rack works good if you have clearance under the pan, depends on which engine you are using. You do loose a bit of turning radius, but steering is good

22. Again, good or right seems to be subject personal opinion. Rack&Pinion steering was never designed to work correct with lower A frames that mount at 2 points Not square to chassis center line. Yes you can hook all the pieces together but it has ill effects on the Fun roads. It's all in what you expect behind the Big Round steering Wheel. There seems to be a lot of Good enough out there.
    The Wizzard

23. I under stand pist-n-broke, I mentioned none carbureted gasoline engine and showed a picture of it in a build on my 59 and it was pulled.

24. I fully understand we need some kind of rules or the place would de rail on it's own, no issues with that for me. Odd as it may sound I also currently own a 59 Ford as well as a 53. Sadly my 53 is just a Truck but I did own a 53 Vicky several years back. We must be living right.
    The Wizzard

25. thanks Hnstray got the gear box