Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New here, with an intro and a couple of questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by IndigoInkTaco, Oct 24, 2016.

1. IndigoInkTaco

IndigoInkTaco
    from Jersey

First post! Ok, I just picked up an AD truck. Absolutely love it. One of my favorite pictures from the road trip home is below :)
    This is my first old truck. Been working on cars for the past 20 years, but it'll also be my first american vehicle since my very first pickup when I turned 17, which was a 1988 S15 :) I have a lot to learn!

Anyway, maybe someone can help clarify some things or shed some light on them for me as the last owner wasn't too sure (about a lot of it). The title shows it as a 1949, however, when I look up the VIN, it comes back as a 1950, 3600. NJ had me title it this way. No choice there.
    However, the bed is definitely a short bed (by measurement). Axle to axle is approx. 117". Overall length (fender to fender) is approx 197". I didn't drop a plumb line, which is why I said those are approximate numbers. Wheels are 5 lug, but it's a mustang II front and brand new rear (so forget about a potential original rear shock option). I have no idea what the original number of lugs would've been.
    The bed has openings for 2 stake posts, not 3.
    I'm not sure how else to really identify it. I read the spotter guide, but not seeing anything that would differentiate the two years.

So I guess my two initial questions would be; How do I tell if it's a 49 or 50? Is there any way left? Or am I S.O.L., and stuck having conflicting years because of how it was previously titled? Would there be any reason or was it common for someone to have stuck a totally random VIN on it?
    And how else would I tell if it's a 3100 or a 3600?

In the end, I really don't care that much because it is exactly what I like, but it would be nice to have some clarification on it because I hate to call it something it's not. :)

There's a bunch of little things that I need to fix, but going to just enjoy it for the rest of this year. (After I do a fluid change) PA Sunset 2.jpg

Ron Funkhouser and little red 50 like this.
  2. IndigoInkTaco

IndigoInkTaco
    from Jersey

Oh, and would 10w30 be acceptable for the motor? (350 crate)
    It'll be a weekend truck. Garage kept. But still resides in NJ year round. Driven relatively easily aside from jumping on it occasionally to merge :) Probably more short trips on local roads than long highway drives too.

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool picture! I'm not on the official welcoming committee but I will extend a hearty handshake anyway. I have no real knowledge to pass on with regards to your truck and title. Who knows what has occurred over the years on a majority of tin out there.

One the 10/30, sounds great. I like Valvoline with zinc for old stuff, you have a crate motor so that isn't a big concern. You might even look at synthetics for it. I like buying motor oil in bulk so I buy whatever fits all of the cars I own if possible to save a buck or two. Valvoline 10/30 is also easy to find if you need it on the road somewhere remote.

4. squirrel

squirrel

The oil isn't really much of a concern, modern normal oil will work fine. I just use the cheap walmart brand, I run 5W30 in most of mine, don't seem to have any issues with it.

I guess you didn't notice before you bought it, that it's a 3/4 ton long bed title, but it's (now) a half ton truck? Kind of late now, to be asking those questions! you already paid your money. But if you're happy with it, it won't be an issue until you go to sell it, and a potential buyer balks at the numbers not matching what it is. could be the cab was put on a 1/2 ton frame, or the frame was shortened, or who knows. if you look close at the underside, you might be able to figure it out, or maybe not.

Have fun with it.

5. IndigoInkTaco

IndigoInkTaco
    from Jersey

Thank you for the links Bobg! I'll be reading them.

Thanks Billy/squirrel for the answers and ideas!

I did notice the discrepancy but couldn't get an answer and like I said, it wasn't a big deal to me because I like the truck and that was what mattered to me in the end. If I can come up with an answer, that'd be great for a potential future owner who may be concerned with it. But those that are probably won't be considering this one anyway lol

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Whom ever built it into a Street Rod,started with a truck that had no title. Most likely the Title you have was purchased at a later time.

falcongeorge and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. you got a roller cam or flat tappet cam.....yeah.....welcome man,your gonna like it here....

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

9. mike bowling

mike bowling

Welcome to the HAMB-
    Nice looking truck- if you've got enough paperwork to get a title , insurance, registration, and all that legal baloney in YOUR name, AND you love the truck, don't worry about it's sordid past. Drive the wheels off it and have fun.

10. bchctybob

bchctybob

Welcome! That's a great looking truck. Post more pictures.
    As long as you were able to get it in your name there shouldn't be any problem with the discrepancies in the registration from here on unless you have state inspections or something that subjects you to annual scrutiny.
    I had a '49 (50?) Studebaker pickup with a similar registration vs VIN vs reality problem, it went to a new owner and he never noticed. He passed it on too without a problem.
    Make it yours and enjoy it!

11. I'd check to see if the vin on the cab matches the one on the title. Would only be an issue if you sell out of state or as mentioned above, have an in state inspection for some reason. Tim

12. Cool picture, you're a natural photographer

IndigoInkTaco and 1927graham like this.
  13. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

Great picture! Nice truck. Welcome to the HAMB.

IndigoInkTaco likes this.
  14. Slopok

Slopok

Welcome, bet that picture becomes someones screen saver!:cool:

15. You are welcome for the Heritage info. More in there than you can imagine.
    As long as your title and your truck share the same numbers, you should be OK.
    Really, who the heck knows what your truck may have been through, in the past?
    Verify those serial numbers.
    Many threads and posts online here, regarding folks who didn't have a correct title, then the police came and returned the vehicle back to the REAL owner.
    You don't want to be in that mess.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  16. Really good picture, welcome from Southern Minnesota!!

IndigoInkTaco and hotrodtodd1960 like this.
  17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is what it is registered as. Who cares with a truck this cool?

IndigoInkTaco and mike bowling like this.
  18. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

if the number used on the registration is on the cab they used the body serial number. If it was registered using the motor number then there would no longer be a matching number on the truck,
    Chevrolet did not put a vin number as we know them today on these trucks. If the frame was shortened
    you can check the frame- a half ton frame has a kick over the axle and flairs out behind the cab, the 3/4 ton frame lacks the kick and stays straight. Cabs and fenders are the same. Enjoy the truck. Check out the AD social forum here for more info.

19. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Also be aware the body serial number is on a plate held on with clutch head screws, the vehicle could
    have just had the plate swapped to match a title someone had.

20. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Agree with the rest, don't worry about what it really is, as long as it's legal, and yours. Welcome from Jersey, too!

21. rc57

rc57

Welcome. Nice truck. Could have been a replacement cab for some reason. Enjoy

22. IndigoInkTaco

IndigoInkTaco
    from Jersey

Thanks guys!

Haven't verified it yet, but been going under the assumption its a flat tappet.

Thanks for the frame info. I didn't see any reason to believe the frame was cut and shortened. (No welding on the frame) And it does have a kick/hump over the rear axle and appears to have a slight flare outward, so I think that would make me lean towards this truck definitely being a 1/2 ton frame. It's sounding more and more like it's the 3/4 cab, which is probably what it was previously titled off of. Thanks!

Thanks! Looking forward to meeting a lot of the jersey guys!

hahah, I know it became the background on my work comp as soon as I got in yesterday lol. Here's another shot :)
    Chevy Jim Beam.jpg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    clunker likes this.
  23. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Whatever year it is, its a good looking truck. Stance is great on it.

24. Sweet ride. :)

25. Is it black? It almost looks green in the first photo...

26. sunbeam

sunbeam

The only difference I can think of is shocks. I know you said it has a Mustang II front but you might check the frame for evidence of lever or tube shock mounts which came in 50..

27. bchctybob

bchctybob

Yeah, that's what I thought too... dark green flat. Just the same that's a great looking truck

28. IndigoInkTaco

IndigoInkTaco
    from Jersey

Thought of that and took a look at it, but to no avail.

Thanks guys! It is a satin black. But looking at it again, I can see why you may have seen green in the pic.

29. 48stude

48stude

One thing to remember, back in those days, in some states trucks weren't titled until they were sold. This may be your case. Just something to consider. Bill