Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage BEWARE OF SCAMMER

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by homey chromey, Oct 19, 2016.

1. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At least it didn't leave a mark, except maybe on your pride a little bit. Props for sharing the name and such for the rest of the gang here. The best advice given is Postal MO. The only way I pay or get paid. Federal postal laws provide mutual protection to the parties involved, by offering or asking as such it should put a buyer seller at ease. I never ever want to hide from anyone and I like how I sleep. Doing good is so easy and we all want to think it's the way, that because it's such a small community we get some "protection" from each other. From each other we largely do but like flies getting in the house the scumbag bottom feeders will get in too.

bobss396 likes this.
  2. b-bob

b-bob

Happy it worked out for you. Consider yourself lucky.

PunkAssGearhead88 likes this.
  3. My late wife was a banker for a long time and people would come in to have funds wired and every so often someone brought in one of those over-payment checks. She would advise them to cancel the deal and keep their car, motorcycle or money. More than once she'd call me at work and ask me if a deal smelled funny and most of the time they did.

4. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

That was really lucky. The man upstairs must be looking out for you. You should take your girlfriend out for a nice dinner this weekend. Congrats....

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Hmmmmmmm...... saved because the asshole was dumber.

Tn. Trash, milwscruffy and IronFord like this.
  6. Wait until he contacts you (if he does), asking where the money is. Tell him it's there waiting for him, if he does not want it, you will find someone else. He will try anything to get it, just keep stringing him along.

7. homey chromey

homey chromey

I like your thinking. I may just do that. I don't know why I fell into this trap. I told my g.f. Friday morning when she was going to do the transaction that I wasn't very comfortable with it. I just really wanted the manifold. Fortunately you guys are right,someone was watching out for me. Thanks everyone.

8. What does the "trade rating" indicate ?

9. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

They can grab pictures from anyone's ad. One thing to do is ask for a specific angle with a ruler or a coin in a certain position. They can only do that if they have the item. A picture of it with the current day's local paper can make sure they're in a certain area. You can also tell them you will have someone pick it up and pay cash. Scammers will disappear.

10. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I usually tell them I have a friend in the area that can pick up and pay for whatever I am buying. If it is legit they don't have a problem with it, but they disappear if they are scamming.

flatheadpete and bobss396 like this.
  11. Craigslist, I buy only if I can go in person to pick the item up. I buy many parts on eBay, have not had a bad transaction and there is more protection there.

12. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Suggest starting a panel here of say, 5 long time established members. When you are interested in buying or selling something you may run the details of the transaction by the panel. The panel then, unanimously approves or disapproves of the transactions and gives their reasons.

You can then follow or go against their rulings.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  13. BJR

BJR

I think the Hamb could help us out here by not letting new members post in the ads until their post count reaches at least 10 posts. Most scammers would not bother to post questions or answers to problems on the forum just so they can try to scam someone in the ads section.

Lebowski likes this.
  14. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

BUYER ADVISORY PANEL

Let's get it started.

15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought my dual quad yblock manifold off e-bay about 2 years ago at what a fair price not what they are listed for now. I check out the guys past history and it was near perfect. The manifold came as expected. I also bought an unmarked Blue Thunder 4 barrel and was very satisfied with the price, but I always check the sellers history..good luck.

16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I understand your good intentions, but people on this forum are, or should be, responsible adults capable of making their own decisions and living with the results. Certainly choosing to ASK for opinions, as many do, is easy enough. We don't need more impediments to living our lives.

I have bought many, many items on line and sold a few, both here and on eBay. rarely have I ever had an issue.

Ray

wraymen and slowmotion like this.
  17. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With regard to an advisory panel, we already have one. It's called the Hamb. If you think a deal sounds suspect, post the details and you'll get feedback quick.

Also, I don't share the desire to string scammers along for the fun of it. I feel like every moment wasted on those losers sucks up a piece of my soul.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    Hnstray likes this.
  18. oj

oj

I quit posting in the 'Wanted' section because of the scammers, remember that guy from England? He always had exactly what you wanted, ready to send it too.

19. dan31

dan31

Buyer advisory panel to sell on the hamb ?My suggestion was a "turd bin" of sorts which i now know exist,but i don't think we need to create a nanny state to sell used hubcaps.

clunker, Hnstray and slowmotion like this.
  20. Two things already mentioned here are golden for buyers and I've done these before.... specific photo with a tool on top or "I know some one in the area" will usually end a scam. On the scam "delivery guy will have a check" my reply is "write the delivery guy a check that he can cash and he can pay me" always ends it....

21. Professor Fate.

Professor Fate.

So then if you get screwed the Advisory Panel has to pay you back?????? Little bit of exposure there.

mountainman2 likes this.
  22. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I did this a few years back. The scammer would not do business with anyone in person. He only ships parts out. Yeah, right.
    Happy you didn't get screwed.

23. slowmotion

slowmotion

Advisory panel? Hell, the whole damn Hamb is an advisory panel!
    Sounds like something an elected official would suggest...:rolleyes:

Flathead Dave, wraymen and dan31 like this.
  24. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

you better score a lottery ticket you were super lucky

25. How about this (maybe it's like this already). People get to "reply' to sellers' original ads so everyone can see. They go in the "posts" profile of the seller so we can all refer to it. If we have any concerns we can pm previous buyers to ask about the seller.

dan31 likes this.
  26. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

i like this idea.

dan31 likes this.
  27. If there was a list of the top ten red flags, "dormant Paypal account" would be near the top.

Saxman likes this.
  28. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like to play their game and string em along , then baam , no deal...good for a laugh I tell you...try it...

29. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

You can "Kill 2 birds with one stone." by simply joining the Alliance. You get Ryan's help on scams if you deal only with Alliance sellers or vendors, and you pay your way here on HAMB. And most vendors offer a discount to Alliance members, so it's really "3 birds with one stone".

clunker and upspirate like this.
  30. 4ever18

4ever18

Wonderful News.