Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Started spec'ing out parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr T body, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Might as well get the non-traditional stuff out of the way. Guess I should have gone with some crappy recirculating ball steering box and thrown a lead acid battery in the trunk, but I really want to drive the wheels off this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Separated the engine and trans to prep the block for paint and a soft rebuild on the trans. When the trans is torn down for inspection the housing, bellhousing, pan and ext housing will be powdercoated to match the suspension pieces before re-assembly.
    Time to start laying out the exhaust, too. We're making a custom x-pipe to get the placement and angles right. image1.JPG

3. It looks great! I don't think it's a traditional or not deal, I just think people don't post on build threads like they used to. Keep posting progress.

4. jimz31

jimz31
    from PA

Great job! I would like to see this finished!
    Thanks for posting!

5. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Trans case and misc parts are back from powdercoat. Did a little detail work, so off to the trans shop tomorrow for re-assembly.
    Prepping the block for paint, then marrying them back up and drop 'em in.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Shot the engine Sunday. First time using single stage metallic urethane, but pretty happy with the results. Shot the bottom of the pan first.... new gun, no technique, etc...... not real happy with the result. Flipped it over and found my groove on the important parts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. jimz31

jimz31
    from PA

That frame, motor & trans are awesome!

8. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Only thing I'm waiting on is the reinforcing ring for the flexplate (figures). Soon as that gets here, they can be re-assembled. Got bored waiting for it, so freshened up the carb. If it takes much longer I might resort to polishing seat track bolts or something. I really need the space to start on the firewall recess.
    [​IMG]

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Very well-thought-out build. Also refreshing to see some well-fitted chrome wire wheels again!
    Shiny black full fendered car with a notable rake, chrome spokes and black tires carries some 'flash'...

Chassis looks like it was 'chocolate-dipped' with the finish around the tubular bracing and boxing. Welded, ground, and polished. Time well spent. A jewel in the making.
    Black & chrome.

falcongeorge likes this.
  10. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

The body won't be painted initially (it'll be natural "patina" though I'm not a "patina" guy). The weld grinding on the tubing? There isn't ANY grinding done to that section. My neighbor tigged it and he's really kinda good.
    Thanks for the compliments. This is a learning experience for me. It isn't my first build, but it IS my first ground up. This is my driver but has already given me the inspiration for a full tilt build. When this one is done, I'll tossing the keys to the wife and going all metal '34 roadster.

11. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

A long time coming and it's back together. Body goes back on for test fit and to fab the firewall recess. Wouldn't take much to fire this off either.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Body's back on and it's kind of a letdown with everything covered up. I was going to run a full hood, but am rethinking that. Maybe when the exhaust is done and I hear it I'll feel different.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  13. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

It's getting REALLY close.

kidcampbell71, OFT and cactus1 like this.
  14. jimz31

jimz31
    from PA

Great job Mr T!!
    Beautiful car!

15. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Summers over so it's back to fabbing. With the electronics going in the tank, I wanted to get a little air flow to help keep things cool. I'm mounting the HEI module on a huge heatsink rather than run the Duraspark module. You can also see the hinged dropdown I made to mount the fuse and relay blocks and make them readily accessible later.
    [​IMG]

16. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Before I cut out the back but shows the size and location of the heatsink/module. It'll be mounted inside of course.
    [​IMG]

17. jimz31

jimz31
    from PA

Welcome back!
    Looking forward to watching your build again!

18. Damn nice work everywhere on this car - I've got a customer just trying to get started on a full fendered 31 and am going to have him study this whole thread - he's an artist and a farmer and wants this look but as yet doesn't understand how much work he's got ahead - this thread will be extremely helpful in explaining how we get from point A to point whatever.............................

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have been watching this thread since the beginning, but every time I think about posting something, I realize that whatever I say, there will be someone on the HAMB will have a problem with it, so I keep my thoughts to myself.
    Love the car, when I was a young guy, there was a guy in my town had one very similar, green with black fenders and tru-spokes, but it had a corvette rear and a 4-71 blown sbc. Gorgeous car.

OFT likes this.
  20. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Thanks for the compliments. This has taken a LOT longer then I first thought, but it's changed course a few times. Guess it's all part of the process.
    The Flaming River stainless column and drop are staring at me just waiting to go in. Gotta finish the recess and the tank and it'll be moving again.

21. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

This is one reason I don't post much here.... I'm not copying a look and reliving some fictional past. I'm building what I like and (of course) doesn't "fit" in many places. Oddly enough, it fits best on a performance boat site I frequent.

OFT and Chucky like this.
  22. Great job! It sits perfectly!

23. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Managed to get 4 holes drilled today
    [​IMG]

24. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

if you looked really close in a photo above, you saw how the access panel will latch closed. It's called a Quik Latch and is really kinda cool and almost flush.
    [​IMG]
    Of course that means I had to come up with a way to mount the post INSIDE the tank. Had some sheetmetal left over from the cutouts, so time to cut and bend and tweak. The bottom tab is bent to the contour of the bottom. Wish I was a bit faster.....
    [​IMG]

25. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Wound up going with an American Autowire Route 9 harness since the component locations aren't "normal" and all the terminations will be custom. The relay and fuse blocks will mount on the access door, so to make them level and accessible, I need to make a couple brackets. I'll tack to the inside of the door. Relay bracket tonight, fuse bracket tomorrow.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  26. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Got both brackets fitted and rivet nuts installed (to make life just a bit easier). Gotta clean them up a bit, but now time to fill a few holes in the access cover, plug weld the brackets in and move on to the dash.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71, loudbang and Chucky like this.
  27. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

All this hassle for a relay and fuse block...... these pics show why it's all worth it to me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71, OFT and loudbang like this.
  28. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Got sidetracked on more minor details. I don't want ANY indicator lights visible on the dash, so am using green LED's for the turn signals on the left and right and a blue LED in the middle for the hi beam indicator. Here's the brackets that'll be tacked behind the dash rail so when they light up you'll only see the light aimed down at the dash face.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. A Boner

A Boner

We're watching.....love the details!

OFT likes this.
  30. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Tacked the brackets in place and installed the LEDs. Looks kind of Xmas-y, but they won't be on for any length of time just blinking. The tank will be painted black metallic, so thinking about ghosting a left and right arrow where they shine on the tank. Just an idea..... I'll paint a test panel and see if it works or not.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OFT and loudbang like this.