Register now to get rid of these ads!

Respect for the Y Block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Respect for the Y Block

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    warbird1 and dana barlow like this.
  2. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

"One" more GM brand had a V8 coming? What about Pontiac?

dana barlow likes this.
  3. The Y-block is a pretty looking/sounding engine, but it just always had a yawn factor to me. Unless you source one of the better '57 312s with some goodies, just...no thanks.

4. 504640

Hurrah for the Ford Y-Block! And congratulations to the power these contemporary engine builders are producing with a formerly regarded obsolete engine. As recently as 20 years ago, a builder would feel lucky if he could find a fool to come and pick up a freebie Y-block. I just emailed a 2015 and 2016 Georgetown Hill-Climb participant that I had been up and over
    Guinella pass (ran between Central City and Georgetown) numerous times in my Y-block Powered 54 f-100, in the 70's. Do I ever wish I had it back to build into a Georgetown/Central City hill climber again!

y'sguy and dana barlow like this.

5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

This is a Y-block story; My Dad desided to by a brand new stationwagon for his work in very early 1955,we went around to all the dealers,he got the best deal at Chevy,they didn't have the wagon he really wanted,but made him deal on the one in stock. It was a 55 Nomad,V8 265 with OJ n Cream color an leather seats. I thought it was really pretty cool,but turn out to leak oil all over the car port an smoked some too,took it back to dealer manytimes,tell finely dealer put a newer V8 in it,283,that one didn't use oil at lest. My Grandad's 55 Ford Y- block blow the doors off the Chevy 283. I loved Daytona 500,an Chevy V8s didn't do shit tell the end of 1958,Ford Y-blocks ruled. So as I was hunting up parts for my hotrod build in 57 n 58 ,I did not look for SBC= pig then to me*. By 1959 I put my hotrod together for highschool with a Thunderbird Y-block as power. I still have n drive my first baby,even though I've build many other rods for my self an others,my first one is the most fun for me. I did race my SBC powered latemodal stockcars for many years from late 60s to early 2000s. Point being SBC was a not better then a Y-block Ford at first,that took some time to change as to who ruled{ But Cady,Olds,Hemi,an Study were pretty cool too. 001 (4).JPG abetters1.jpg

6. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Sounds like a job for mctim
    He just finished a motor for my beat up 54 Country Squire. The motor is better than the whole car, but with it I will start working on it.
    I also have a 40 frame I am going to measure and see about fitting the take out Y block, throw on a tri power and it will be good to go...

And Mister Barlow, I would love to see more shots of your modified!!

mctim64 and dana barlow like this.
  7. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I've gone on record (and caught a load of shit) here on the HAMB for my disdain for the Y-Block Ford. I still think they're junk, and I'd like to build one one day just to sort of conquer my arch nemesis. I know the reasons people like them; nodular iron blocks, strong cranks, look good and sound great... but the pros just don't out-weigh the cons to me. They're heavy as hell for having so little displacement. They're all solid lifter. The oiling system is atrocious. The starter drive is the work of Satan, and honestly, I've considered selling cars rather than replacing the starter. Finally I figured out that I need to use every 1/4" drive extension in my tool box to get that damn 3rd starter bolt out. The intake bolts go through into the water jacket and if you don't put enough teflon tape on the bolts they will leak just enough to drive you insane. Yes, you can make a pile of horespower with them now, but you could do that with pretty much any other obsolete engine with a blower and a virtually unlimited budget. Not impressed.

Old wolf, 302GMC, das858 and 5 others like this.
  8. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

For my RPU it was a natural choice following a love affair I had in high school with a 55 Ford 2 door sedan with a sweet sounding 292 running glass packs.
    Tim McMaster (mctim64) put together my Y block for me and it sounds great.
    Specs in the run in video.

dana barlow likes this.
  10. belair

belair

I'm with 57JoeFoMoPar. 60 years after they were introduced, people are still trying to convince us that they were great engines. Maybe they were/are good engines, but there was always something better available. And there still is. BUT folks are still building flatheads too, so there's no accounting for human nature. More power (from a SBC) to you, Y-block fans. (They do sound great).

302GMC and AmishMike like this.
  11. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Ted Eaton won the Vintage Class at this years Engine Master's Challenge last week with a Y-Block and the original vertical stacked intake ports. Kaase won in 2015 with a Y-Block as well, but he redid the heads to get rid of the odd intake port configuration. Just further proof that there is power potential there and you don't need a SBC to go fast. I think all of us would like a Y-Block that makes 597 Hp, and 565 ft-lbs of torque on gas.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ford-y-block-takes-vintage-class-win-engine-masters-2016/#

[​IMG]

12. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Respect for the Y Block

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

dana barlow and Tim like this.
  13. and don't forget they burn valves do to the crossover pipe/manifold set up.

agree.

Jimmy "why isn't there one in our garage"
    Dad "well Jimmy, the Chevy i bought is a better looking, cheaper and has a better motor."

14. I rode in a 55 Ford on the Oklahoma Hot Rod Hundred. It reminded me how good those Y blocks sound with glass packs. They kinda have there own sound.

Roothawg and guthriesmith like this.
  15. sunbeam

sunbeam

I don't know as I agree with the cross over pipe thing. Ford felt the need to replace the Y block after 11 years while the SBC lasted way longer. Yes there were a lot of 55 265s replaced by Chevy.

Alaska Jim likes this.
  16. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Ford essentially rendered the Y-Block obsolete with the FE in '58, so the Y-Block only had 4 years where it was the go-to V8 mill for Ford. It was really a stop-gap in between the Flathead and the Windsor.

fol and belair like this.
  17. Soon understanding how Rodney Dangerfield felt; "I can't get no respect". :mad:
    But I don't care, still love me some y-block;)
    Good write up and video.

18. In a few months will be throwing a supercharger on top of the y block in my dads 56 sunliner.....will still be slow but at least it will be original and unlike every other car with a gm350 or ford 289/302

19. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Yes, the y block was forgotten after the FE's 260's, 289's 302's came out. End of the road for new developmental horsepower add ons, and investigation into how to get more power out of 'em.
    But (i am gonna say) 2004-5 some guys like Jerry Christianson, Ted Eaton and John Mummert not to forget Frank Rice (just to name a few) began to resurrect parts and begin to build new aluminum parts. The interest in the Y block has come back since. Yes, it does cost money to make power from them. But, I believe the block is stronger and more suited for the torque and horsepower they produce. Anytime you play with something not so mainstream it usual cost you more. But, that can't always be the reason. The flathead is more costly to build for horsepower as others have said, but we still like them too.

20. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Interesting views from some. By the way nearly 600 HP was done on no supercharger by the rules,Nat Asp. so just carbs or FI. About the lbs. wise SBC is 575,Y-block is 625 but with stock standard 3 speeds there are only about 35 lbs apart . Just incase you didn't know,Y block EX ports out flow Chevys in same years,but intakes are not as good stock. Yet stock "Y" intake runner langth was very close to matched vs Chevy was not with stock intakes. Timing of when the design was done is to be taken in to what shaped the motors,Ford worked on the Y-block design in the 1940s and was slow at getting it into there cars,. Chevy held off doing a working design, tell they could try an do what worked by others,an copy it*. That was a good move. Still it took the much later designed SBC just about 4 years to start winning over Fords. Even though I loved racing my SBC powered oval track cars for 35+ years,before that I built "Y"s for myself an others that won championships with them. "Y"repect was earned. This was my last Chevy racer for any that may think I don't play both sides. postcard made by Ronnie.jpg

tb33anda3rd and 504640 like this.
  21. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I like the Y block as much as any old OHV V8. But, people keep bringing up the Engine Masters Challenge, and the Very modified Y block that won. Yes, but have you ever read the rules? If the SBC as allowed it would win to the extent the whole thing would be pointless.

falcongeorge likes this.
  22. Started reading the rules and frankly wasn't seeing what prohibits a SBC (admittedly glanced through them). What prohibits the sbc?

23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg I like mine, but then again I like GMC 6 cylinder 7 port head engines too.

24. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I'd also consider the comparison of the F-Code 312 to the FI 283, the Y-block needed a blower and 29ci to make 17 more horsepower than than the Chevy.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy looking at a Y Block and shit, I enjoy driving cars with them. There is a certain mystique to hopping up an old engine. I think that's what the HAMB is all about. But among the obsolete engines out there, including the 331/365/390 Cad, 303/324 Olds, Nailhead, Hemi, etc... The Y block would not be my first choice.

25. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I normally don't like doing someone else reading for them. But i will make an exception here. The part about limiting engines to familys produced and sold prior to or by 1954. Kind of drawn to exclude the SBC. But they have their own class. Now I know that Packard V8 engines didn't come out until 1955 and a Packard that I had some dealings with did compete. But Packard engines are specifically allowed in the rules. Chrysler Hemis are not allowed.

Old wolf, crminal and dana barlow like this.
  26. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

As a kid I remember my uncle's trials and tribulations with the Y block- broken rods and burnt valves..

Old wolf likes this.
  27. I wish I knew of someone that was giving away a Y-block, lol. I love these motors. They look great and sound great. Sure, Ford only built them in the US until 1964 ( they built them until the mid 1970s in South America with a revised head design and different firing order) but that doesn't make them any less cool. Personally, I could care less about who puts out more power, has better heads, etc. I like to go low and slow and the burble of a nice y-block is sweet music. It's also nice to see something other than a SBC in a hot rod or Kustom.

28. Appreciated. I will continue doing further research. I guess you've got to pick a year to end a vintage class.

29. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I bought a 64' Ford pickup with a 292 Y-block in it...... that thing was fantastic! I loved that engine, and it ran incredible for the 15 years I had it....drove it down the ALCAN (Alaskan Highway) 5 times and no problems whatsoever....by the time I sold it, I had only replaced the starter once, and the usual tuneup....and both motor-mounts (the ALCAN wasn't quite as smooth back then)....kicked myself for selling it soon after....great truck and wonderful engine in my opinion!

aussie57wag and 504640 like this.
  30. town sedan

town sedan

Kaase was so 2015. Mr. Eaton is the Y-Block man this year. And, he did it with stacked ports.
    -Dave

dana barlow, mctim64 and y'sguy like this.