Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 348-409 prices

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B.A.KING, Oct 11, 2016.

1. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Guys, How much are 348-409 going for in different parts of the country. A build-able core?
    Love to have one for my elky. I guess i'm cheap. I aint paying 5-800 for a core that may or may not be good.Or no guarantee that it is good.

2. Things must be cheap in Bama, 5-800 is core price for about anything other than a 70 era SBC around here. :D

W motors are higher than a cats back here.

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You should be able to find a 348 block cheap enough but a 409 will be another story.

4. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

well I'm cheap................... BUT I AINT EASY..... But i can be had!!
    And let me say this I don't mind paying for the core , IF its a good core.Most of them is a coin toss..
    Oh why didn't i take the FREE 409, back in the 70's...............

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016

5. 348s are faster :p

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have not had the chance to play with one of them yet but I know we have some in are stash.

7. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Iowa ,a friend just sold one from a rustbucket 64 Impala, low H.P. and a 4 speed ,no idea how many miles but started and seemed to run good , $3800 and he has had dozens of calls since he sold it . Probably too cheap.

8. LOL

I knew a guy that swore by the 348s way back when. but he cheated and used the bigger heads and intakes. (I actually accused him of stuffing the 348 crank in the 409). I think that either can be made to run but the pieces required to do that are either made of unobtanium or expensium.:D

9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

There is a truck block that has two eyebrows that help un-shroud the valves that would be a big help.

10. There's lots of little tricks to makin' one run. I know a guy that shuts off one set of points on his twin point. ;)

saltflats likes this.
  11. Somewhat related - I need a junk 348-409 block (no truck blocks) It can be windowed, rusty, bad mains or cylinders - mock up only. Let me know if you have or know of one

12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beaner,

Sounds like a guy who can't tune a dual-point distributor.:D

Tubman

Moriarity likes this.
  13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Hey I resemble that remark.

14. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor
    from Slaton TX

I paid $500 for a 09 out of a big truck a few years ago. Luckily it had 340HP passenger car heads on it already. Had standard bore and stroke. Was glad to get it. Looks like this now with 348 3 dueces
    [​IMG]

15. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Around here, your first born son or left nut

Max Gearhead and tfeverfred like this.
  16. slowmotion

slowmotion

There was a pile of various W-motor parts (bare heads, intakes, etc)at an auction I was at a few summers ago. Not knowing shit about them, other than what they look like, I watched them go at scrap prices or lower. Damn shame, but they may have in fact been scrap for all I know.

17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

It really depends on what your plans will be for one.
    There are some parts, good pats, better parts and then really good parts.
    The factory HP stuff can hurt your wallet but some of the lower HP stuff can be had worth the money but then again what are you looking for.

18. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

saltflats likes this.
  19. Wooster

Wooster
    from Soso, MS

I picked up a 348 truck complete block for 300 dollars to build for my model a project. Have not had the block checked yet to see if it checks out. They are hard to find here as the car crushers had wiped almost everything out.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Bruce, you might try putting a wanted ad on Craigslist. I did that and found my short block for $50 a few years back. Guy had it in his mothers garage for 30 years and saw my ad so he decided to clean out the garage. Ya never know whats lurking out there.

21. Fedman

Fedman

Wow!
    I had no idea that a "W" Engine would be that hard and expensive to aquire.
    It almost makes trying to get a Chrysler 392" seem affordable.... :)
    I guess having the Mag in the back of the Block makes them both expensive. :D

22. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I thought there were a few in the f/s section. Lesson I learned stay away from block with cracks on the side and early production heads without cooling around the spark plugs

Buying the core will be cheap compared to a rebuild. You need to find a shop that can rebuild one. You can get all your parts from show cars.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  23. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dunno how you find all this stuff at those low prices. It's real expensive in the North east and then there is the shipping.
    The 409 I think is as expensive as a 392. 5-800 is cheap.

24. my '09 buddy was getting out of the business after getting married/divorced - he brought a trailer load of good stuff - Z-11 crank and big heads...set up in my extra spots at the swap meet....first day a guy makes a deal and gives him a down payment on the trailer load.....as the hours went by the guy kept bringing guys by the trailer....selling some stuff and giving my buddy a little of the cash....it was a really a tough swap meet for him to see/watch...think that was 1996....last month in 2016 he paid almost a grand for a sorry '09 block a guy said was good....another grand and it might be buildable...still a bare block....he'll but a BB Chevy crank in it....

25. Gman0046

Gman0046

Bruce, check out the 348-409 website. Usually theres engines for sale.

Gary

26. Of course; having the mag in the back means you can reach out and retard the spark on the big end. :D

27. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

???? I have had Both, 409 made more power.

Max Gearhead likes this.
  28. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Should have thought of that,!!! thanks

29. It was an inside joke. Hence the tongue stickin' :D

Max Gearhead likes this.