Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trying to create 3D cad model of Flathead & 49-51 Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doctor Detroit, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Hello Gentlemen of HAMB,
    This has to be the best forum for any automotive knowledge. I spend way too much time surfing this site. My girlfriend calls it "HAMBbook". Since there is so much knowledge here, I'm seeking your help. For many years, I've been wanting to create a 3D cad model of a Flathead, a 49-51 Mercury frame, and 49-51 Mercury body. It's been difficult finding enough information to get a relatively accurate model of these items. I've purchased a few flathead books over the years, I own a 49-51 Service manual from the last time I had a 51 Merc, and I am currently waiting on a 1/6 scale 49 Flathead diecast model to arrive. I have some information, but still don't have enough information. Google searches haven't provided much. For the technical nerds like myself, I've been in the automotive engineering business for 15 years, and I'm running UG NX6. Feel free to PM me if you have anything to offer.

My questions for you guys are:
    1) Does anybody have any sort of engineering/dimensioned drawing for a Flathead?
    2) Does anybody have any sort of engineering/dimensioned drawing for Merc body or frame?
    3) Is there anybody within an hour of Chicago who has a 49-53 Flathead out of a vehicle that I can take some measurements and pictures of?
    4) Is there anybody within an hour of Chicago who has a 49-51 Merc I can take measurements and pictures of? This would probably take an hour +
    5) Is there anybody crazy enough to let me laser scan their Flathead? I won't ask to laser scan your Merc because I realize this is an impossibility.

2. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Would anyone be interested in taking dimensions and pictures of their Flathead and sending it to me?

3. Well once my car is over in Elk Grove Village that might be a good place to take pics and measurements if you are interested.

4. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

palat ortho

Attached Files:

5. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Mrjynx, thank you for the ortho views. That should be helpful.

Pro Stock John, let me know when your Merc is available and I will bring my digital camera.

6. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Thank you to Stefan & Al who've PM'd me with info. It's much appreciated. I still need more, so if anyone else has things to share, please contact me.

7. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I'd also welcome pictures of disassembled Flatheads, and Mercury 49-51 Frames without the body attached. I've managed to find some, but more is always better, right? Please PM for my email.

8. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

Thanks for that you like my cad files

9. DD, pm me your cell I can let you know when we move the Merc it will be sometime between Wed and Sat of this week.

10. Mojo

Mojo

what kind of program are you using? Are you planning to output it to a game or rapid prototyping?

11. scalhotrod

scalhotrod

You could talk to the tech guys at Edelbrock and Bob Drake Reproductions. If anyone has accurate CAD files, it would be them.

12. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Mojo, The software I am using is UG NX6. I'm creating the flathead and frame for my own use. Possibly to design a stronger frame, or design areas to strengthen on the stock frame. Not for a game or rapid prototype. I foresee this being a long term project. It's also because it's something I would enjoy doing.

13. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

If anyone has a torn down Flathead that can confirm a few dimensions for me, I would greatly appreciate it. Block & Head related.

14. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Well, I decided to buy an 8BA Flathead to use for making the Flathead cad model. I'm tearing it apart at the present time. I'll have it cleaned up and then begin making a cad model from there. Thank you again, to the guys who sent pictures, etc. If anyone has suggestions or recommendations for a good engine builder or machine shop around Chicago or suburbs where I can have it hot tanked, magnafluxed, etc, please PM me.

15. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

16. fenton255

fenton255
    from Illinois

Yes, Yes, Yes. Manuals, Models, Actual '49 Merc sport sedan from first owner. In Chicago. Fenton

17. sawzall

sawzall

What is this ugnx6 software?

18. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Sawzall, Unigraphics (or UG) NX6 is a 3D modeling software used by General Motors, Boeing, International/Navistar, amongst other large corporations. NX6 is the version, but I believe they have released NX7 or NX 7.5 by now.

19. nofin

nofin
    from australia

Not within an hour but you could try the Henry Ford Museum, or try their online research centre www.thehenryford.org. They have all sorts of old pictures and diagrams and designs in their archives.

20. bulletfab

bulletfab
    from san diego

Hello,

Just joined tonight and found your post. I'm looking for mechanical
    drawings for the 8BA block, specifically oil pan bolt locations. I'm building
    a drysump system. I have a block here and can get some dimensions if
    you like, but there is nothing like vellum. I've done motorplates / midplates
    without drawings and it can be a little hit and miss. Let me know what
    you are looking for and I will measure as best as I can.

Good luck,

Mike

Let me know if you come across those oil pan bolt locations.

21. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Bulletfab,
    If I have time this weekend, I'll take some measurements on my 8BA oil pan.

22. palat

palat

Maybe that's not close to what you actually intend to build but still:

http://garagemdigital.blogspot.com/2012/02/dave-sherman-enviou-fotos-de-seu-camaro.html

In the post you'll find links both to my original 3d model and to the guys that "prepared" it for printing.

I am the author of the ortho views posted here by Mrjinx and as usual cannot guarantee complete accuracy; though i used real measurements like height/width/length and w/b, the model was made using pictures as reference. I did the stock model plus a few custom variations. If you'd be interested heck the "Mercury" tag on the aforementioned blog to see some images of the models.

23. Mojo

Mojo

I've always been extremely impressed by your models. They appear to be right on the money. At best, most 3d models seem to be slightly "off", and at worst a lot of car modelers don't even bother trying to make them proportionally correct. I'd absolutely trust yours to be correct to measure and print from.

24. Paul

Paul
    Editor

25. palat

palat

Thanks Mojo! I am aware of the sharp-eyed experts out there so i try hard. And i keep the meshes with a low polycount so i can fix them afterwards... Digital work never dries.

26. OneOffMotors

OneOffMotors

Have you designed a head yet? I was going to build a set of heads for my 50 Merc engine, and was hoping there might be an accurate 3D model already done. I did not see anything on Grab Cad. I use SolidWorks 2011. Thanks.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Unfortunately, no. I never got very far with this. I have a Flathead block under my desk at work, but I never got very far with this project. Probably something I should resurrect.

28. hepcat1969

hepcat1969
    from McDonough

Hey Doc. Have you got anywhere with this resurrection? I'd like to get a CAD model also. The ones mentioned above are in a funky format that I can't work with.

29. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

HepCat... This never went anywhere, unfortunately. One of these days I'll get to it, perhaps. The Flathead block I had is gone, so I'd need to tear down another.

30. I have a 1:18 diecast model of my '50 Merc which is about a foot long. Not bad investment for about $30. Google or try ebay. These things aren't toys and are amazingly realistic (and heavy too). They have an engine, hood, trunk and doors all open. I see some chopped woodies now on ebay. Remember to stick with the full 1:18 size when searching.