Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How low can i go?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by BLUSHU, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Old-Soul, did you use lowering blocks on the rear?
    If so what size?
    I am going to try & have a slight taildragger look.
    Your old car is sitting just right in my eye.
    Nice car, it must have stung a bit to sell it!
    Thanks for the pics.

2. flatheadpete, can you update once you have this installed.
    This swap sounds almost to easy, I'm expecting at least some modifications.
    It almost seems to good to be true.
    Thanks.

3. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Haha yeah, it did suck and I do miss it (and had it been a coupe like yours, I'd still own in) but I've been able to spend more money on my '28 so I guess that's a bonus??

3" blocks in rear. 7.10 Firestones were a bit of a squeeze, pain to remove in the rear, but looked great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

It is just that easy, the hardest part of mine was getting the original coils out (rusty hardware) but I did it in a weekend myself no problem.

5. tinmann

tinmann

That's a scrawny cat.

6. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you making fun of my pussy? Farm cat kittens aren't the biggest, probably due to limited gene pool in the neighborhood. Good mousers though.

7. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

I think it looks good now, why mess with it just to get a certain stance that will be a pain to drive ?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I'll probably tackle it next weekend....if I don't head to the cabin. I'll take pics and let you know.

9. I kinda' like em' skinny!

11. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

You'd be surprised how well it'll ride on those aerostar coils, nothing at all like a pair of cut stock ones (trust me, it's night and day). The rear will ride a little rougher for sure, but you can remedy that a little on down the line by installing some lowering springs.

Besides, it's like mama always said. Better to look cool than ride comfortably.

12. Can I change the ride in the rear by removing a leaf from the pack?

13. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

It'll sit a little lower, probably ride a little softer, but that just means it'll bottom out easier so I wouldn't recommend it.

14. Old Soul, you have probably been in our fair city or yours is similar, the roads are pure shit.
    I'll take your advice.

15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Removing the top spring will make it the lowest and soften the ride the most. Removing the shortest will lower it the least and will keep the ride close to stock. Also removing the longest will increase the the possibility of breaking the main leaf. I'd go with the lowering blocks but first put in the Aerostar front springs and see how you like it. Usually all Fords sit an inch or two in the back from just being old. Good luck.

16. CyaNide

CyaNide
    from Texas

It is crazy how everyone does the Aerostar coil springs. No thanks you's needed. I figured that out on mine about 13 years ago and we figured out it would also work on Fairlane Dave's '57, and then it ended up on the Hamb. I worked at a parts store and got the dimensions.

CN

Old-Soul likes this.
  17. I am going to put 15" steelies(stock), caps ,rings & wide whites on this.
    Any ideas on what size tire fits once it is lowered?
    Looking at pictures of other shoeboxes on this site it doesn't look like anybody has gone very wide!
    Any info will be appreciated.

18. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Bias ply or radial? If you're gonna shame your coupe with radials, I'm afraid I can't help ya as I have no experience with new-fangled rubber on old vehicles.

I had 7.10 Firestones on my car and they looked fantastic but were a real c-unit to remove in the rear (undo shocks, jack up car, let a little air out and squeeze em past the fender). Stock should be 6.70-15. I went larger because I found a set for dirt cheap on Kijiji ($400 for the whole set).

19. To tell you the truth I didn't even consider using bias, but considering I was looking for the stock/lowered look, bias is probably the way to go.
    The cars I have had in the past have been mid to late 60's & the bias/radial question never came up. I always used radial.
    It has been so long since I have driven anything other than radials it didn't even enter my thoughts.
    If I remember correctly, bias ride quite rough & are loud.
    how are bias compared to radial, price wise?

20. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

http://www.coker.com/
    Check out your pricing comparison here.

Most cars you see with Bias ply are striving to give a better look to a traditional rod.
    Most tolerate the sacrifice of the ride and handling vs. the look and stance.

21. 50 rendering.jpg Thanks to THEMOOSE I have an idea what I want to achieve with this car.
    Ain't she sweet!

T-roaster likes this.
  22. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Honestly, that looks absolutely killer. Too low and the car starts to look broken. At that height it's noticeably lower and way cool, but not undriveable. That wheel and tire combo looks great.