Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Fabricators: How Did You Learn Your Trade?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by indestructableforce, Sep 23, 2016.

1. What he is calling Gen Y is Gen X. I guess the Y stands for Yuppy, but the majority of Gen Xers were not yuppies. It takes an army of drones to support one corner office.

LOL I lived most of my life on cash before I ever knew the rules. Well other then the rich ruling over the poor part.

2. Those born near the cusp can have traits of both. Those raised by grandparents can also show more towards the earlier.
    Notice how X is just 10 years

image.png

3. Yep I was wrong. I could make an excuse, but excuses are like sausages, the skin of the truth stuffed with a lie. :oops:

4. LostBoy

LostBoy

No. I refuse to accept this. I can not be lumped into a group of kids 8 years younger than I that whole group is different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Lost Boy (I was going to just say boy but that is just plane rude),
    None of us are generic. We are often judged by our peers and more often than not we are influenced by their beliefs and actions. But none of us are generic, we are each and everyone an individual.

That said, you are involved with an entirely different sphere of peers if you are involved here on the HAMB. You are put in a position to filter this soup of information and attitudes toward life and choose which is best suited for you. its a lot like eating fish soup, you eat the fish and spit out the bones, if you don't you are liable to choke on it. ;)

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:D:D:D And here we see the denial part of it all in sharp focus :D:D

7. LostBoy

LostBoy

I just can't stand being a "millennial". I work hard and smart. I can't say the same for kids born in the 90s.

8. If you can take the advice of a misfit I will make a suggestion to you.

Be yourself, live life the way that you see fit and let everyone else be damned. ;)

9. Why did the male millennial put a hole in his pocket?
    He wanted to be able to count to 11.

31Vicky with a hemi and clunker like this.
  10. LostBoy

LostBoy

Ha. Ha.

We're reduced to cock jokes.

11. Just be glad that we have cocks to joke about.:D

my grandpa who was not considered to be the greatest generation (born in the 19th century) but did serve during the second war to end all wars used to say this (and laugh):

"Oh balls," said the King.
    "If I had two I'd be King," said the Queen
    The Prince laughed, not because he wanted too but because he had two.

[note say it and forget how it is spelled, don't read it]

Evidently everyone who doesn't have one to joke about wants one.

clunker and LostBoy like this.
  12. I know a lot of old slackers too, I would be one too if I could, but there's just too much work to do.

13. Admittedly alot of the conversation goes above my head. Probably should work on that. See what you mean about the subtext.

14. Trial & error,it's a great teacher. HRP

15. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Iam forth generation. My grandfathers shop was next door to where I lived as a kid.Welding school while in High School and then working in shops and factories ,millwright.Ive always been around it and have my own home shop . My son is well on his way to being very good at it. My brother still works for the union .Dad is retired and my Grandfather is long gone.Our shop,Federspiel & Son Fabricators, closed in 79 about the same time most of the factories shut down in Niagara Falls

16. el shad

el shad

I learned the art from Mrogan Write in Yuma Az. I will never have his ability to vision or his skill, but I try. He is a great man and damned near a father to me.

Thanks for everything, Mo!

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

o_O Mrogan is a name I don't think I have heard before. :)

18. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

4 year engineering sheetmetal apprenticeship at Jaguar Cars in there prototype division.Went onto Bentley,Rolls Royce ,Land Rover ,Aston Martin,VW ,BMW,Volvo .....and then to America to Metalcrafters CA and now The Metal Surgeon.....