Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 62 Buick Special, My attempt at a mild custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Flat-Foot, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Eli eye

Eli eye

Beautiful work. I just picked up a 62 myself. Kind of want to clean it up and make a nice HS car for my stepdaughter, she is 12 right now. So after all you went through, how about some lessons learned. Or recap of the project. Would you still go with the V6? What was the total coil cut in front and back - was that enough or too much? Did you do anything beside rebuilding trans? Are you running the donor V6 with the four barrel? If you had to do it again - what changes would you do and why would you do them? Sorry I know it's lots of questions, I am just about to start my rebuild and just want to learn from the master.

Flat-Foot likes this.
  2. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

So after all you went through, how about some lessons learned.

Well, it was a huge learning experience for me, this is the first car I ever did. Definitely understand that there is no aftermarket support for these cars. If you need sheet metal you either have to make it or find a donor. The metal that goes on these cars the worst is the lower quarters, they are hard to find in good shape and super expensive.

Or recap of the project. Would you still go with the V6? I used my V6 because it was a good running engine and I didn't care that it was slow. I would not rebuild it thought, when it goes the 215 will get built.

What was the total coil cut in front and back
    Man it's been a while. I want to say 1 1/2 up front and 2 in back, might be 2 up front and 2 1/2 in back.

- was that enough or too much? I was perfect with the 13" wheels, now that I have 15 I would like to go a little lower.

Did you do anything beside rebuilding trans?
    Trans was never re-built, just new seals. I did the basics as they were needed. Exhaust, carb rebuild, generator rebuild, etc.. Since the last post I converted to a dual master and front disk brakes. It was expensive but worth it.

Are you running the donor V6 with the four barrel? The engine with the 4 barrel is a 215 v8, as of now it's on a stand untill my v6 gives up.

If you had to do it again - what changes would you do and why would you do them?

I'm not sure I would have drove it in primer for years. I'm a nervous wreck at how my paint will hold up. Other than that, I obviously would do things a little different as far as metal work, and body work now that I have a little experience. But honestly the car turned out so much better than I expected it to so I am just enjoying it.

I am just about to start my rebuild and just want to learn from the master.

Hahahah Man, I am far from a master. I am just lucky to have a lot of great friends and family that helped me turn this car into something special.

Good luck on your build!

Studebakermatt likes this.
  3. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Great job on the resto. I had a '62 Skylark a few years ago that I bought from my dad. I drove it for about a year and then sold it to an older couple in northern Wisconsin. All I did was put a set of tires on it....

62 Skylark.jpg

4. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

I like that! Man I wish mine was a hardtop!

5. I'm glad to have stumbled on this thread. I bought this one in February and have been attempting to get it more road worthy daily. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

RoseCityOlds and Flat-Foot like this.