Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bill Hirsch Enamel Paint Issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Aeroman, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Aeroman

Aeroman

Folks. I sprayed this stuff as instructed to the T. After 3 weeks...and this happened. Two thin coats and this garbage wrinkled on me. I sprayed it with HVLP gun. I will pass on the message to Bill Hirsch. Just a heads up. I'm sure people have had better luck. BC/CC for me going forward. IMG_20160925_201340.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

In all fairness to the Bill Hirsch product, it looks as though the old finish is "moving" around. Bad foundation makes for a bad house.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. Aeroman

Aeroman

I should have mentioned...the block was completely rebuilt, hot tanked. What I had was a completely clean surface.

4. Aeroman

Aeroman

20160925_205420.png 20160925_205450.png 20160925_205514.png

5. So it worked everywhere except the water pump? If so you did something wrong or there was still something on the water pump from the cleaning. Paint doesn't fail in only one area unless something has caused it.

Paint Guru likes this.
  6. Aeroman

Aeroman

No, the wrinkles were around the engine block as well. Side cover, oil pan, etc. Wrinkles were not present 100% on the engine. More like 30%, enough to remove it all and start over with another paint system. It seems like Bill Hirsch users have better luck with the rattle can version rather than spraying it out of the quart can.

7. You got too much paint in the areas that wrinkled. It those areas the surface cures over and seems dry but it isn't and the second coat eats into the film that has formed on the surface and wrinkles it. Aerosols probably work better because you are less likely to over apply the paint and the solvents are usually more aggressive so they will melt that film and flow together rather than wrinkle it. HVLP's put a lot of paint on the surface compared to an aerosol. Are the wrinkles mostly in areas where you had to adjust your spray technique (as in not just back and forth) to get into nooks and crannys?

Hnstray and Aeroman like this.
  8. Aeroman

Aeroman

I completely agree with you there. I did do light coats but I bet it just wasn't thin enough

jhammer likes this.
  9. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Once the engine is in vehicle, you won't notice that little "boo-boo".

10. Clik

Clik

Do hot tanks typically have a rinse cycle that uses clean non recycled hot water, or is the engine just pulled from a hot caustic soup that would still contain some light oil residue?

11. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

see if you can gouge a bit out of the pump paint, is it wet underneath? sure looks like too thick application

12. Pete

Pete

Hmmm... I use Hirsch paints on everything, like Frank's red hot!

I've used the aerosol can and quarts but honestly I've never put it thru an hvlp gun.

I've also sprayed under the worst conditions, high humidity, rain and below recommended temps. Be interesting to see what the problem was.

13. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

IIRC, that paint is an old style synthetic enamel. Without a hardener, it is extremely sensitive to recoat time, which also includes dry time for thicker coats. Either the paint didn't dry fully (under the top skin) when you recoated, or maybe you waited too long for the second coat?

john worden likes this.
  14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Ive only used it once, out of the quart can. Never had a problem. Tuff as nails

jhammer likes this.
  15. My friend sprayed Bill Hirsch out of an HVLP gun with similar results. He didn't thin it out enough. We salvaged the job by spraying a heavy wet coat thinned with mineral spirits out of a conventional gun and rolled it out into the sun. I don't think his was "wrinkling" though, just looked like poo.
    Enamel is thick. I don't like shooting it out of HVLP guns.

16. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Too much mil thickness. Never had a problem, but don't us HVLP guns.

17. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've shot gallons of Hirsch engne enamel over the years. Early on I had that reaction too. It was a syphon feed gun and the issue was too much time between both too thick coats. On engine paints, less is more. I also tend to seal with a very thin coat of reduced epoxy. I recently had one that wanted to do that. We gave it the weekend to dry, wet sanded with 400, sprayed 1 more coat, no worries. My "normal" Hirsch color:
    IMG_20150415_125229988.jpg

falcongeorge likes this.
  18. Aeroman

Aeroman

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Obviously, the issue was too thick. Instructions called out for 1-2 minutes between two coats. I simply had issues with the paint flowing out, creating a matte finish. In order to get glossy, I applied the 2nd coat thick for wet look.

19. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

HVLP gun has nothing to do with the problem.

Paint Guru and Aeroman like this.
  20. Aeroman

Aeroman

I agree. I used both HVLP and conventional gun and both resulted in wrinkled finished. As far as being too thick, I carefully laid down two thin coats on a plate and it still wrinkled. Perhaps spraying it sucks

21. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

i used there high temp paint on my headers , lasted about thirty seconds .

22. Aeroman

Aeroman

That sucks. I had my exhaust manifold porcelain coated

23. slack

slack

If it's any consolation, I think the wrinkle finish looks great. Nice and uniform.

Aeroman likes this.
  24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Aeroman: Where did you get porcelain done??? Last place I heard of was in Oakland, they've been there for years...
    Where's 'Winchester'? (if you ask "Where's Atwater", it's 60 miles North of Fresno, on 99)

25. Aeroman

Aeroman

A friend of a friend did it. There's a place in Corona, California that does it. West Coast Appliance. I'm near Temecula

26. Aeroman

Aeroman

Yes, I can

27. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Was the paint allowed to dry completely BEFORE starting the engine?

28. Mike, I believe that Caps, in Fresno does porcelain. And that's not real far from you....

29. Aeroman

Aeroman

I never started the engine. It's still on an engine stand. It was applied too thick

30. Aeroman

Aeroman

That is correct. $25/lb