Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Change Ford EFI to carb

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1955 F-100 guy, Sep 21, 2016.

1. 1955 F-100 guy

1955 F-100 guy
    from NE Pa

Got a 1997 Ford 5.8, 351 W roller cam engine going to convert to carb want to know what cam and heads to use. Looking for 310 HP nothing crazy-- need good vacuum at power booster, going in my 1955 Ford F- 100 with a C- 4 trans- ( replacing my 350 SBC AND th-400 trans )---Thanks

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  2. Is that a roller cam motor? If it is, any of the low-to-medium 'performance' roller cams used the 5.0 motors will give good power and excellent drivability. Stock heads will give the power level your looking for. Make sure you use the 'correct' drive gear on the distributor as a roller cam will eat the 'normal' iron gear.

69thumper likes this.
  3. Steve is right - at that power level, stock heads are fine.

4. gmhillbilly

gmhillbilly

Taking the Chevy motor and putting something else in you ought to be ashamed of yourself

5. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

If you want a cheap option for heads iron gt40 heads are plentiful and work well. But like everyone else said the stock heads will work fine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

stroke it to 410 [with a kit] and use stock heads with a short duration high lift roller cam.
    keep the carb small [600 cfm
    add an AOD behind it, and you'll have a pleasant cruiser that'll get good mpg's and be reasonably quick on the boulevards

7. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

If you go with the Explorer GT40 heads you will need step studs due to the head bolt size difference between the 302 and 351 Windsor. The E7TE heads are a really good factory head and that's what you should have already. Get a good automatic friendly roller cam and you're set. If it were stick shift I'd say the Ford Motorsports "E" cam is a really decent cam. I have a "B" cam and "E" cam and prefer the "E". TFS also sells nice cams for those motors. I have a "stage II" cam of theirs but once again, stick shift friendly without a stall converter. 351 Windsors are great motors. Cam it, maybe even get some 1.7 rollers to up the lift a little and enjoy. Or, get a decent stroker crank and stock 351 rods with 302 pistons and build a poor man's 393 stroker.

BART

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016