Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 Ford 3 Window Coupe Build for Suicide Awareness

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RAZIN CAIN, Sep 12, 2016.

1. image.jpeg image.jpeg
    image.jpeg Well I hope this thread don't get censored or deleted,because it lacks a total traditional build.I am proud of the 32 build by our shop Shelby's Speed & Kustom and what this car will represent....our 501c3 non-profit Shelby's Way "Bringing Awareness to Suicide Prevention".We will be leaving next June 2017 in this 32 from Lexington,Kentucky to the LA Roadster Show in California on our Shelby's Hot Rod Road Tour to "Bringing Awareness to Suicide Prevention" passing out information and free T-shirts along the way spreading our message.Please follow along with this build thread.

Since I'm a dealer for Pete & Jakes Hot Rod Parts I started with a P&J 32 frame,model A crossmember and coilover rear crossmember.I know for many this is outside the norm and a SBF is more to build,but decided on a small block ford 302 stroker with C4 tranny for mounts.
    Also a great company in Missouri Show-me-Hot Rods fiberglass 3 window chopped coupe body.The fenders,grill shell,rear frame horn covers and splash apron are all steel from Brookville Roadsters.
    The hood and sides are steel from Rootlieb with 25 louvered sides.

Two things that didn't set well with me were the fit of the splash apron and rear frame horn covers...
    Since the car was going to set real low with the model A crossmember and a 5" dropped tube SuperBell axle I wanted to trim off a little of the splash apron and while I was their cut it up along with another apron to completely close in the front frame.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff, gonzo and Texas Webb like this.
  2. More to follow

3. Mark,the work looks exceptional,please post the photos using the FULL IMAGE. HRP

[​IMG]

RAZIN CAIN likes this.
  4. Sure thing buddy I thought I did

5. looks like a good build and a great cause.Keep posting progress.

6. I have to click FULL IMAGE on each photo posted. HRP

7. The rear frame horn covers didn't fit real well around the rear spreader bar,so making a little cut and repositioning made for a much nicer fit.Both sides were off,my index finger could fit between the cover and spreader bar all the way around.After welding and finishing the welds,a little filler (I like the Rage Extreme),prime and block they were ready for paint.Car was painted by Jason Graham at Jason Graham Hot Rods.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

wedjim likes this.
  8. Tjames

Tjames

Mark the work is exceptional , me and my family and been attending your Hullabaloo car show for two years now . The show is top notch.

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

RAZIN CAIN likes this.
  9. Mark,the attention to the details will set the bar a little higher for
    the next guy building a 3 window. HRP

lbcd and RAZIN CAIN like this.
  10. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Good on ya for being part of such a worthy cause. Your workmanship is terrific. I've lost friends and co workers to suicide. Most of us probably have. It's horrific.
    You'll forgive me, but when I opened the thread and saw the first pic, the first thing I thought was that the subject matter has suicide doors.:eek:

kiwijeff and RAZIN CAIN like this.
  11. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

RAZIN CAIN likes this.
  12. RAZIN CAIN likes this.
  13. Thank You for attending the Hot Rod Hullabaloo I am glad you had a good time,we try really hard to make all happy and enjoy the day!

14. demmals7ytriht

demmals7ytriht
    from Speer lane

Try to go every year, great show for a great cause, 32 looks killer Mark!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

RAZIN CAIN likes this.
  15. I wanted a 3 piece hood with 25 louvered sides Rootlieb in Turlock,California had what was needed.I also wanted the hood to open left to right and right to left with ease,along with the hood top to come off separate from hood sides and both sides to come off with ease. Hagan's Rod Shop had just the trick with their triple opening hidden hinge system...part # 2832.
    Now Hagan provided great instructions with measurements and a suggestion of fishing line for alignment along with a DVD.I am not very good with instructions and do much better with mocking up so I can see what's needed,from their I can get where I need to be with the use of clamps and duct tape.

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

wedjim likes this.
  16. I had to shorten the support bars and make my own brackets to attach the bar to the grill shell and firewall,also closing the ends of the support bars with slight tapper for a better finish to blend end with the firewall and grill shell side.

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

17. Used Dan Fink 32 hood support rods mounting to the inside hood flange and also using a tapered bit to counter sink the flat screws.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

18. Sorry should have posted a pic of the Hagan's Rod Shop had just the trick with their triple opening hidden hinge system...part # 2832.
    image.jpeg

19. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Very good cause indeed.

20. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

22 push up's a day for 22 veteran suicides each day. Suicide is real for all and not only for veterans. Suicide is in every walk of life. Hopefully, one day, people will realize that suicide is not the answer to their problems. Many Thanks to Shelby's Speed and Kustom for doing this build for suicide awareness.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Awareness of this issue, is something that my small town, down the bottom end of this planet, is unfortunately, very aware of.
    Lots of suicides here in the last two years, mainly young men.

Building a car for the cause is a great idea.
    They say, the devil makes work for idle hands, and I believe idle minds.
    If some of the people who contemplate suicide had a major interest, such as Hot Rods, maybe they would be to busy, and excited to end themselves.
    I know it goes deep, each case is individual, but the damage to friends and loved ones they leave behind, is immense.
    Good on you guys, for taking the time to do this.
    You may never know it, but some seeing this car, may just have a spark lit, and steer away from the depression that leeds up to them taking their lives.