Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Working on a 57 chevy pickup. Help a ford guy out!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Alright. I got some questions for ya'll. I'm working on a 57 chevy pickup. Being a ford guy and not messing much with 50's stuff. I'm in uncharted territory.

Anyways. I've got this pickup here. I just rebuilt the entire top end of the engine. I need to paint some shit so it doesn't rust. What is the correct or closest color chevy blue? It's a 235 straight six.

Next question. I also have a dual carb intake for it, but no linkage. All I have found is complete intake and linkage kits. No linkage by itself. Anyone know where I can get that?

Last question. This thing has a after market electric windshield wiper kit installed. It has almost no travel. It barely wipes a small little triangle. I need more swing!! Does anyone have suggestions for this? I have the stock system(vacuum) I can rebuild and re install and get back to a good swing of the blade. But then I have vacuum wipera...yuck. what wiper kits have you used?

That's abo u t it for now...

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Ive used the Specialty Power wiper kit on my 50 pickup. It was well made and expensive. This design operates by one motor turning a long cable to each wiper. The cable is similar to a speedometer cable. Not crazy about the noise it makes but works good in an application where you dont have much room under the dash..
    http://www.specialtypowerwindows.com/products.php?c=2

I was looking at this model looks interesting....
    http://www.forwhatyouneed.com/windshield wiper conversions.htm

Engine color? Oh my... that opened up a bees nest/// Be sure to read them all
    The debate?? Blue or Green
    I believe you will find the color code somewhere in those articles
    http://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=559981
    http://www.1954advance-design.com/Web images/PPIP/PPIP-1912-1966-EngineColors.html
    http://www.oldchevytrucks.com/Articles/Engine-Paint.php
    http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/233866

Linkage?. Try Speedway Motors

3. 1959apache

1959apache

Swap the wiper arms on the transmission, sounds like you have it set up wrong.

Go to stovebolt.com or eBay for the linkage

4. Thanks! There are little bits of blue left on it and I I'll go that route! Looks like a real can of worms with that one!
    I'll give that a try. I didn't install the wiper system. I'm just tasked with fixing it.

5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

6. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I believe Langdons sells linkage kits and could you lengthen the arms coming off the wiper motor to make the blades sweep farther?

7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Hitchhiker likes this.
  8. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

The CORRECT paint for the era, is a darker blue - NOT the GM CORPRATE blue or FORD BLUE. Think blue, with a touch of gray in the shade. BUT... if you read the links above - GRAY, or ALPINE GREEN (Detroit Diesel color) might also be considered correct too! Hell, I've used touch-up paint on a engine, held up really well against the heat! Good Luck, Tim

9. squirrel

squirrel

hirsh used to sell paint. it's more gray, as he said.

need to see what you have on the wipers now, to see how to fix it. but it's hard to see that stuff behind the dash.

10. jkski

jkski

1.jpg 20150129_154911_zps2d5299b9.jpg attachment.jpg 1.jpg 20150129_154911_zps2d5299b9.jpg attachment.jpg 1.jpg 20150129_154911_zps2d5299b9.jpg attachment.jpg 1958-59 wiper arms were number 381 rt and 382 lt, 1955-57 vacuum and electric linkage was 346 lt and 347 rt.346 and 347 can be used for the Newport conversion or vacuum until 1959

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Who says you gotta paint the engine an original colour? If you look at colour engine shots from the fifties in hot rod magazines, guys painted them all kinds of wild colours. I miss that, think its kinda cool!

jcmarz likes this.
  12. You could always use an original electric wiper motor.

13. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wipers - was going to suggest that you adjust the chains in the towers (as i had to on a 41 coupe) but from the pics there are no chains on your application, so no use there then! Nevertheless, it seems you have a Newport kit - my experience with Newport is overall most excellent (did take a little patience and persistence initially but we got there and, most importantly, they really do know their stuff), so I'd be directing my query directly to them if i were you before doing anything too drastic.

14. The owner who is paying for all this! Personally o would have left it wo it matches the rest of the truck.

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ah ok. I wasn't really sure if it was yours or not.

16. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

The original is vacuum .

falcongeorge likes this.
  17. Duke

Duke

There is original electric as an option, I have that in my 57 gmc.

57 HEAP likes this.