Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 49 Lincoln flathead337/auto tranny

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fire Fox, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Fire Fox

Fire Fox

I can buy this set up and was wondering what you guys thought. It's a 49 Lincoln 337, automatic transmission, radiator and oil bath breather. It's a running engine and I know flatheads are notorious with issues but is this model one of the better ones or usually one to steer away from? IMG_1473282812.332070.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    chriseakin likes this.
  2. desotot

desotot

Well the trans is a gm hydramatic, speed equipment for a 337 is difficult to come across although there is some stuff out there. Seems Lincoln did well in roadraces. And like I was once told, the only thing that beats cubic inches is cubic dollars. It would be neat to see one used in a rod.

Fire Fox likes this.
  3. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

My 51 avatar, on the road since the late 50's, has the stock 337 in it. Ford used the 337 in their big trucks so that should tell you something about the torque specs. Any engines reliability is dependent on the owner.
    The engine is quiet and has a nice exhaust low down rumble even running through large mufflers.
    The setup is large and heavy however.

Fire Fox likes this.
  4. Fire Fox

Fire Fox

After looking into it, I think it would be too heavy to try to put in a 31 Coupe and not worth the trouble. When I saw the ad, it running, and the $800 price I got excited but didn't realize it was that big.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Special Ed

Special Ed

There are better choices. It is extremely heavy. I ran that combo (stock set-up in my old Muntz Jet) for a few years, and I wouldn't repeat. Your mileage may vary.

Fire Fox likes this.
  6. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

heavy is right. add about 50% to the weight of a regular flathead...

7. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

This picture is one of the best in showing the difference in size between the 337 and standard 8BA or 59A flatheads.

[​IMG]

8. j3harleys

j3harleys

337 in a 31 coupe. 20160706_204728.jpg 20160706_204906.jpg

Jet96, john worden and Texas Webb like this.
  9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Used in Lincolns from 49 to 51 and in big Ford trucks up to 58. Ford recognized their mistake when the 49 Caddy OHV V8 came out and quickly followed suit.

They were a good engine for what they were, a very heavy smooth luxury car engine with practically the same power as the Caddy.

It would be fun to put one in a hot rod but something larger than a Model A. Recognizing that the ONLY reason to do it would be the rarity or novelty. If you had something to put it in, would be worth a few hundred bucks but I think $800 is on the high side.

10. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

With these Lincoln parts up for sale, are there any rear ends available? I'm looking for a Dan 53 with 3.5 or 3.3 gears.

11. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Give Mike Herman at H&H Flatheads a call they DO make high Preformance stuff for them.

12. Rrumbler

Rrumbler

All true, but the nostalgia effect would be great. This might offer a little encourgement.

13. 42merc

42merc

I have said this before, I believe the Queen Mary is still looking for an anchor.

14. HOTRODDICKIE

HOTRODDICKIE

There is a Model A in the UK with one of these, it has been on the road over 10 years and regularly runs near 100mph at Pendine it handles fine. I had the motor in the Lincoln before it went in the A and it drove horrible with the Auto box, in the A he has put a T5 behind it and it runs like a top.

15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A couple of guys I knew in high school put one of these in a '53 Ford. The only good thing about it is that they didn't have to buy the Aerostar springs. Never did get it on the road.

16. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Lincolns have the forged crank = blower ready! ;)

I think that'd be an awesome setup... but I live in a world of fantasy most of the time.

3blap.