Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rolling Bones '32 coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by firerod, Jun 27, 2016.

1. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

Tried a search and tried to contact Ken @ Rolling Bones with no luck. Anyone know what Ken used as a finish on his '32 three window coupe. Cant tell if it is colored paint, DP or some other red oxide.

2. i am pretty sure they use lacquer.

3. Here's the rolling bones website. HRP

-----> Rolling Bones

4. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

They have been on the road for the last two weeks attending the LA roadster show too.....

5. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Usually lacquer......

VR&C.

FLHXShip likes this.
  6. 99% od the time Ken uses lacquer. His paint work is a lot more work than doing a normal paint job. I have talked to him many times about what all he does to get the look he comes up with. It would take me a hour or better to try and walk you through all the stages. Best bet is to give him a call at the shop and ask for Ken. He is a great guy and just might tell you some of his trade secrets and may-be not.
    Good luck

my2nd40 likes this.
  7. brady1929

brady1929

He is a good guy, has answered my questions through email before.

8. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

9. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

....Comet and elbow grease...

Maroon paint, custom lettering, black paint, comet and a prayer.........

32 Spitfire
    High noon Speed Shop - Baltic, Ohio
    P1120574.JPG

P1120590.JPG

P1120608.JPG

P1120614.JPG

P1120632.JPG

zombiecat likes this.
  10. I don't know what they use but I do know that they work at making it look the way that it does and they have perfected the look. ;)

11. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

The 1955 Dodge Red Ram Valve covers were my very first experience with painting multiple colors of maroon & black and then Comet! The last was the old school hollow body guitar to match!

32 Spitfire
    High Noon Speed Shop - Baltic, Ohio

rzDSC00849.JPG

Texas Webb likes this.
  12. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

Cool stuff, thanks guys.

13. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

....how bout a big shout out for the Rolling Bones Crew!!

"........old school hot rods with soul, to be driven hard and put away dusty!" by Todd A. Kindler

High Noon Speed Shop - Baltic, Ohio

rzDSC02589.JPG

rzDSC02623.JPG

14. trucker1

trucker1

He's here on the HAMB, ROLLINGBONES1A.

15. Yes he is, but he does not get on here much any more. Does more on his face book page nowdays.

16. cadillacslim

cadillacslim

So how do people feel about the fake patina or whatever you wanna call this? I'm looking at painting my 63' Cadillac but I really like the ridden hard, put away wet look over pretty show car shiny. And I'm cheap. So is an aged paint job looked at as the big R word or is it ok if it's not over the top and has beer taps and road signs holding it together?

17. It's your car do what you want and to hell with what everyone else thinks....

18. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

AMEN 383deuce!!

If you don't have a real old school hot rod with soul... to really drive hard and put away dusty at the end of the day your missing out!! The Bones Boy's figured this out long ago!!

rez1ross2.JPG

Check out my new blog: https://ontheroadtonowhereville.wordpress.com/

High Noon Speed Shop
    Baltic, Ohio

19. Have a old school, you mean a real rod raced on the 40's 50's?
    For me is not about Patina, Fake Patina... There was really necessary back in the days?
    So, have a reproduction body It's a sort of fake rod?

Ain't a Rat lover!

20. The aged paint look is a good look. I dont think there is anyone on here that has any issues at all with real aged paint.

Fake patina is just that, fake patina. If you like the ridden hard and put away wet look, then start riding it hard and putting it away wet...lol. Or like said above, drive it hard and put it away dusty.
    You'll be happier with the results plus get the satisfaction of using your car in the process.

willysguy and rtsidejohnny like this.
  21. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

So, fake patina on a Brookville reproduction body is cool ?

49ratfink likes this.
  22. F&J

F&J

just me, but anybody that gets a nice old style rod out on the road is cool enough for me. There just are not enough old dusty survivors left for those that wished they could find one.

I like the fact of not seeing mega $ clear coat, cut and buffed look on every car out there.

The Bones crew have done quite well with their unique style of builds as far as a certain look, and they sure do get driven hard. I'm just disappointed that they came through my area 5 miles away on a fall tour, and I didn't know....because they keep the tour map a secret. I wish I could have seen the tour drive by

100% Matt, clunker and ratamahata like this.
  23. No, its not cool, but if that is what the owner wants to do that is fine.
    I understand that there are not enough old survivor cars around for everyone to have one, but at the end of the day, fake patina is still fake.
    Trying to make a new reproduction steel, fiberglass car or a new build look old is lame.

24. F&J

F&J

well, can I explain my thoughts on this post? Most of us on here with 32's or any old coupe etc, we use the old speed parts, old type engines and wheels because we want our builds to look like the old days.

So, are we building fakes also?

I tried to style mine like what I recall as a grade school kid in the late 50s when I first built models like these styles of "traditional" cars. My body shell was an old rod, but no traces of what it looked like at all. So it is not an old hotrod to me. It's new built, or rebuilt or whatever

Yes, I do draw the line somewhere with someone grafting in rot holes from a steel car, into a fiberglass body.

25. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Patina is earned ,not applied

26. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

^^Yup, what he said^^

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. A Boner

A Boner

Accelerated patina seems to work for the Rolling Bones.....its for sure O.K. with me!

Runnin shine likes this.
  28. Bad Paaaatina!

Ain't a Rat lover!

29. this is how you "paint" patina!
    Dad-Pictures-164.jpg

Jeff34, kiwijeff and bryanyeskie like this.