Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "I'm here to pick up the rubbish"

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Drylake, Jul 18, 2016.

1. [​IMG]

I guess that could be a concrete floor in your workspace, but it looks like dirt to me. I just want to say that lots of bitchin' Hot Rods have been built on dirt floors. :D

chryslerfan55 and rocsas like this.
  2. Drylake

Drylake

It is a pretty basic shed but it's a concrete floor. It flooded with these storms we've been having and dragged a heap of mud in.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Welcome to the HAMB and I am all in to watch this jewel get some polish!

4. dutchrod

dutchrod

Great find , i love storys like this.
    Gives me hope that they are still out there, good luck with the build.
    Subscribed.

5. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

6. Drylake

Drylake

7. Drylake

Drylake

Progress! Front end,rear end, spare blocks, 1473413506203.jpg 1473413512907.jpg 1473413521387.jpg 1473413530186.jpg 1473413538186.jpg 1473413542990.jpg gear boxes. Plenty of fodder and parts for the 32!

8. greaser

greaser

Wow! You keep hitting the mother load! Great find with that too!

9. kasselyn29

kasselyn29

Couldn't find your intro thread sounds interesting.

10. Drylake

Drylake

11. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I just want to add about should it stay or should it go? How long have you wanted one? Could you buy another one with the money you will be getting?
    We brought home a ute and were offered stupid money, and if we would have sold it we would had money that would have disappeared along with the vehicle.

chryslerfan55 and The37Kid like this.
  12. Drylake

Drylake

The 32 will stay with me. The reason for asking values and throwing around figures was that i knew i had a good deal but was unsure how good!

With the rumble seat the roadster will make a great family rod, and even the idea of selling it would get me in trouble with my wife.

I have wanted a 32 since i was in my early teens, so around twenty years. I always felt they were financially out of my grasp, and they were, up till now. I know it would be a very unlikely scenario for me to ever find another bare bones, dirt cheap, blank canvas, like this roadster ever again. The idea of finding one the same for even $15,000 would apeal to me. I am very keen to get into this project, unfortunately accumulating the parts is a patient waiting game. Thanks "typo41" for helping me put things into perspective!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

The name of the seat is rumble ,now say that 100 times so you don't forget it nice find by the way , money for this car maybe good however you will never get another one this complete it is the holy grail you have there

Asphalt Demon likes this.
  14. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

I have a 53 Ford half ton 3 speed in my avatar. It is just horrible, 2000 rpm at 40 mph.

15. Drylake

Drylake

What diff are you running? That's not real good for 40mph.

16. Andrew Mccann

Andrew Mccann
    from Bristol UK

I think all nations could agree on mother-in-law seat...
    Great car. I have a feeling you'll do it justice, that often happens with lower budget builds.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kiwijeff likes this.
  17. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

No offense taken old boy however pommy cars have them dicky things American ones have rumble ,just me on my soap box again

18. I have a car-guy friend visiting here from Australia. The differences in US/OZ terms turn up on a daily basis. ;)

rpm56 and pat59 like this.
  19. Drylake

Drylake

Today i picked up some super nice headlights, original paint, glass and they are rust free with no dents at all. They cost $50 and i believe will allow me to run an indicator within the headlight. Very cool in my opinion. 1474717315255.jpg

20. Drylake

Drylake

chryslerfan55 and tomkelly88 like this.
  21. Drylake

Drylake

My last swap meet i puchased 1937-39 ford rear radius rods for $10 and sold them for $200. I also found suitable windshield stauchions for the 32 for $10 and found one 28-29 headlight mount to match the one i had for $2 and scored an early flatty distributor for $5 with caps (divers helmet). Good day out, with an outlay of $27 and got the parts i needed! this is how my project has and will continue to be funded. Keeping a float for parts has been the main challenge! But has worked so far! I also split some model A bones selling them for $150 and a 1937-41 axle i paid $100 for i sold for $400, sold an A cowel i found down the bush for $200 and model A front posts i got for $60 i sold for $250. TRADE UP! 1474717992444.jpg 1474718024662.jpg

22. The original story with your unbelievable stroke of luck was awesome. The way you are going about this project is a really cool. It will be a challenge to get it all done with no budget by trading and all, but that is ultimately what will make it so fun and rewarding in the end! I also like the fact that even though this is a '32 your not treating it as hallowed ground. This was already one of my favorite threads, now after your intro I am twice as interested. Can't wait to keep up with your posts, good luck! Oi Oi Oi

(I'm a furniture/cabinet maker too. Every penny I earn goes to pay our bills, so I get it!)

chryslerfan55 and Speedy Canuck like this.
  23. rpm56

rpm56

I commend you for not turning a quick profit and building it within your means.

Outback likes this.
  24. I really like your approach to this build. I took the same road with my 3 window build and it worked up to a point. There comes a time when you will run out of great buys with big returns and have to lay out some hard earned cash........Still I got my hot rod on the road for less $$$ outlay than most.

25. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

You're killing it! I grew up in the Hunter Valley amongst the vineyards and i still know them pretty well,I was home last two weekends visiting family/friends,went to the Broke country show whilst there. I raided a lot of the farms,vineyards as a kid for trucks(my first love) and parts(i learnt a lot from the old boys in the vintage bus and truck circles) and still know were a few are stashed in gullies and creeks amongst them,I couldn't help wonder about your car if it was that region of the country or not?What state are you in ,in Australia at least Johnny.

26. Drylake

Drylake

I have learned a bit from searching for parts from exactly that, searching gullies and dry creeks and old communal dumping points on the outskirts of town where some old cars are left to rust away. There are the obviouse parts and panels that i know just looking at them from afar but the earlier stuff from the teens and early 1920's can require some research which i find fun. It's easy to justify picking them up as they are being saved from rusting to nothing. It is much easier to sell something when you can identify it and it's a really good way to beat the heat driving around on a 40+ degree day in an air conditioned ute over the Christmas break! I have had reservations revealing where i bought the roadster. Not sure why just the idea that some how it could slip out of my grasp and be gone as easy as it came. It was inland further away from the salt near wagga.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    chryslerfan55 and Asphalt Demon like this.
  27. Drylake

Drylake

This ute load is from a couple of days out with my brother one christmas. Dvd player on in the back of the ute for the kids while we scanned areas looking for suitable hot rod parts, and anything we thought was cool!

28. Drylake

Drylake

29. RussTee

RussTee

Well done its a great project and getting better all the time it is the kind of project that will grow with you and although it maybe on the road it will never be finished and I mean that in a nice way they are the best kind of projects the ones you keep and have fun with.

30. Drylake

Drylake

A few things i have learnt while looking for parts are that alot of parts have been pushed into gullies and dry creeks with intentions of them being buried. So i look for low points close enough to town to be convenient for people to illegally dump cars in the day. Another thing i have realised is to take photos. Sometimes memories can be fuzzy and parts you've left behind can be much worse than you remember! Areas that were once high traffic and have now had alternative highways put in place can be amazing! Old dis-used service stations actually exist in Australia and have good amounts of bush around them that was used as there personal tip! I go equipped with what my brother and i laughingly refer to as a rusty gold kit. Cordless grinder, drill and drill bits, impact driver and sockets, shifter, small butane torch to heat threads in winter not summer(bush fires), cordless recipro saw, and bolt cutters for the stubborn bolts. Jimmy bar and flat head screw driver.
    That's about it, i hope that has inspired you to get out rescuing rusty shit!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020