Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help with 38 ford column drop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1935ply, Sep 11, 2016.

1. 1935ply

1935ply
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from peyton,co
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Hi all. I have a 38 ford p.u. column drop that is complete. I want to use it on my roadster. There is no key for it and I want to take it apart to clean it and replace the tumbler. I' m sure I can pursuade it with a hammer and punch ,but wanted to ask advise from those who 9-16 012.JPG know more about these than me. Thanks 9-16 010.JPG

2. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Ask on the Ford barn?

3. Had to do the same thing on our 36 about 30 years ago. I remember we had to drill out the lower bolt and it came apart kinda easy? Did we heat the pin too? Got a new tumbler and the contact pieces. Don't remember the details but it was do-able..... Works nice and smooth and still in use.

4. I just did one a while back. The "tumbler" was already gone along with the pin/set screw that holds it in. I bought a new cylinder for it, welded up the hole for the set screw and drilled and tapped it for a new screw. Works great. I'll try to get a pic of it tomorrow so you can see what I did. Tim

5. 1935ply

1935ply
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from peyton,co
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Thanks, any advice I get before I start will help.

6. Baxter's Ford Parts has someone that rebuilds the column drops for '32's and probably later. They might be a good source for parts (or a complete rebuild): (785) 842-9256

Charlie Stephens