Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects making a dream a reality. with pictures

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigIronCadillac, Nov 17, 2015.

1. tevintage

tevintage

Great job Travis. Tremendous perseverance and a good eye for detail. This work will be have memories you keep for a lifetime! Thanks for taking us along. TEB

Sent from my SM-N920V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. BigIronCadillac

BigIronCadillac

alright guys I haven't posted in a couple months, but I'm delighted to say the car is practically done. I can finally be at ease. please enjoy these few pictures.

3. BigIronCadillac

BigIronCadillac

you guys are gonna love this IMG_20160802_183108.jpg IMG_20160805_193055.jpg IMG_20160806_170205.jpg IMG_20160822_202132.jpg IMG_20160823_134243.jpg IMG_20160828_165655.jpg IMG_20160829_210347.jpg

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

WOW! That is impressive, very few people your age can lay claim to something like that. Bob

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Quite a transformation. That was a heck of a lot of work. Glad you stuck to it.
    Keep the girls out of the back seat. There will be stains that aren't removable.

Moondog13 likes this.
  7. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

8. Wow, super job. Most 18 year olds can't even make their bed. Well done. Caddys were always my favorite too.

9. BigIronCadillac

BigIronCadillac

thanks for the comments guys. finished putting in the front windshield, which id been dreading spending the money on and installing. the interior has been in the work for about 4 or 5 months. but finally done. the seats are white leather and the cloth inserts are NOS 1956 Cadillac material. I rebuilt everything in the dash. sent the autronic eye out to be rebuilt, so it works now. the radio is the coolest part to me though. I wanted the tubes rebuilt because I love original but for even LESS money I could have my factory radio rebuilt with all modern internals to receive AM FM AND I can even plug my phone in to play my own 50s music. so i just went with that. but see its still the factory face and knobs and all the buttons operate just like 56. so you cant even tell its modern, no aftermarket ugly radio. i even made the factory knob on the tuner that operates the electric antenna work. i also got rid of the vacuum wiper motor and got a 56 chevy electric one, bolted right on. and i also made the wiper fluid system work. so it squirts water on the window and has 2 speed wipers. i also took the heater cores and soldered the holes up, pressure tested them and put them back in, so the heater and defroster systems all work. the gauges and dummy lights all work. hell i even took the clock out, took it apart, lubricated the gears and operated it until it moved freely until you could put 12v to it so it always works and rewinds itself without sticking, and i used red and white nail polish to repaint the timer arms. i just gotta adjust it so it keeps right time its a little fast.. put a new glove box in it to. and I'm in the process of making the factory ac work. i got the blower motors to work and you can adjust their speed. I'm doing everything in my power to use the factory A-5 compressor and r-12. i have the Freon, i just have no idea if i need to rebuild the compressor or not. because the clutch engages when i hook 12v to it and it isn't locked up. so its a wild card. but whatever it takes the factory ac will work. but anyway, all the power windows operate fine, i rebuilt the 6 way power seat, that was a mess let me tell you. that required a lot of scheming. all other power options work. so its basically done. the ONLY things i need to really say the car is complete is the hood crest emblem, and the caps for the sabre wheels. but i love the car. i love how it came out. ive never worked for anything harder. i had to sacrifice a lot and be focused like a needle to pull this off.

10. Damn! I'm impressed. Great work. Good luck to you in the future, looks like you are well on your way. :)

11. I'm impressed with your work ethic and determination to get everything working and looking right. Your efforts have paid off with a fantastic car. Congrats!!!

12. manyolcars

manyolcars

While its good to see a young guy do well, I'm surprised to see this thread about **restoring** cars..
    I am so old I remember when this forum was about traditional hotrods and customs.

13. BigIronCadillac

BigIronCadillac

I was iffy about putting my car on here because I respect the fact this website is about rods and customs. but my next project is going to be a custom. but I'm going to do it to sell. I want to build a 49-53 buick, take it straight outta the weeds, put it on bags, put a 5.9 cummins turbo diesel in it and leave it all patina but redo the factory gauges and interior.

14. BigIronCadillac

BigIronCadillac

I'm going to FINALLY insure the car tomorrow so I can actually drive it for the first time, then the fight starts to build my rod. really want a late forties early fifties buick olds or caddy that's been sittin out in someones yard. and make it look mean as all hell and blow coal like a freight train and do burnouts that will make people call a fire department.

15. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

This thread and that car. With all this motivation time effort and money is Bitchen. Even better your younger and a big ol car man Thumbs up. I mean big props to you and your dad as well to support the idea amd to finish it with a nice story. Congradulations. Keep that motivation forever

clunker likes this.
  16. manyolcars

manyolcars

I sent you a message or 'conversation' as this board calls it. Click on the envelope on the right at the top of the page.