Register now to get rid of these ads!

The last Grasp Special '34 3 window build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by whodaky, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Wardog

Wardog

I understand that not everyone has the skills and some parts have to be bought. But these little projects like the windscreen cover are what it's all about for me. I love the idea of going into the shed, turning on some music and just trying something for the fun of it. I liked this coupe before but I like what you are doing to it also, I hope to see it in the flesh when you are done.

509garyd and fnjunk like this.
  2. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Yeah, you are right Wardog.
    For me it is the challenge. Having the ability to do the stuff myself, obviously makes it possible.
    Looking at all the stuff I have done to the 3W since I have got it home. If I had to pay someone to do what I have done; it would probably have cost me more than I payed for it when I bought it off Pete.
    But as I said I enjoy the challenge, making use of stuff I have at hand. But one of the great rewards is the personal satisfaction of having done it myself.
    But the other thing that showing stuff here on the HAMB, is that others can perhaps be inspired to have a go at doing it themselves.
    Simple tasks can hone one's skills and give confidence to give more complex tasks a go.
    OK I rolled the 3W out this morning and took a few shots.
    The first couple are of the windsreen frame. The second of these shots, shows I put a joint in the upper corners.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I put the wheel cover on that you asked about Wardog. I have only made one as I was just experimenting. I don't particularly like the look of it myself in this application. It almost has the feel of an FJ Holden hupcap in the images.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    63fdsnr, fnjunk, Drewfus and 2 others like this.
  3. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

I have been wanting to make some sought of safety catch on the suicide doors on my 3W for a while. But I wanted something simple that worked in conjunction with the interior door-handle/mechanism. What I have come up with, may be something I have seen in the past and has been sitting idle in my subconscious.
    Anyhow I here is my safety catch.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  4. Simple, elegant and it works.

5. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Have seen similar before but that looks like it belongs there.

6. Wardog

Wardog

That big cap kinda makes the wheel look small. Oh well, you have to try these things to satisfy curiosity. The safety catches look nice and neat. I saw the results first hand earlier this year of a body flexing enough to open both doors of a 32 3 window at 100 kph. Not great.

7. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Accidental application of the speed brakes:eek:.That had to have been a total mess to fix.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

8. Wardog

Wardog

image.jpeg
    This is the car. A very nice car and both doors looked like this when he turned up to the show. I felt so sorry for him.

9. @Wardog I was going to ask you if that was the car you were talking about, saw it at the boogaloo. Definitely would have made you pucker if you were driving.

10. That's a really neat and effective solution, good stuff.

That's a 'local' car from where I live, and both doors let go on the way down, the passengers side first (after being a few hundred km into the trip), undeterred they continued, on, switching drivers, and then the drivers side (so the same guy twice) screwing up both doors and B pillars as a result. Figure that return trip would have been a very long and lonely one returning home (about1100km).

11. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Damn. What a shame about the doors on the yellow 3W.
    The body on my 3W is pretty rigid and doesn't appear to flex much, but I don't want to take any chances.
    The catches I made and are very inconspicuos. I am very please with how they turned out.
    Thanks as usual for the responses guys.

Geoff aka whodaky

hotcoupe likes this.
  12. I had a bit of a garage sale score today, don't think I'll need to buy any grinding disks for a while now. Headed to the hamilton swap meet tomorrow morning, don't expect to find a hell of a lot there but you never know.
    [​IMG]

13. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Nice score FB. Can never have to much of that stuff in the cupboard.
    Now for something totally different.
    I altered the mounting at the front of my firewall to radiator stays on the 3W. They ran uphill and it has bugged me for ages.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With that done I was now able to make something really different. I am sure there will be those of you that will love or hate this and maybe even say why bother.
    Well basically what I have made is a cover that clips onto the radiator stays, that will keep rain out of my carbs and somewhat stop my distributor from becoming drenched in a down pour of rain, when I am on the move.
    I really like how it is turning out, it almost has the feel of a scoop when in place. At the moment I am thinking I will fully polish, but I haven't totally decided as yet.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Great idea Geoff and it looks cool as well...

15. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Thankyou GaryD. I think it looks better in the flesh.
    I just spent the last couple of hours getting it smooth and buffing it. I left the'pleats'satin and highly polished the rest.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Retroline, 63fdsnr, kool 52 and 4 others like this.
  16. Wardog

Wardog

Now that is thinking out of the box.

509garyd likes this.
  17. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Darren dropped in mid-week to let me know he and his biker pals in the Cheyenne social club were holding a bit of a rally today and thought I may be interested in attending. I wasn't sure I could at the time, but things fell into place and I was able to go.
    Basically it was a very informal run from here in the valley over the hills to South Gippsland, with a lunch stop in Tarwin Lower; then onto Mirboo North for afternoon tea.
    I took around 40 images, many of them being similar, but from different angles and places.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

More images

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AHotRod, Wardog and yblock32 like this.
  19. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

More images again.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

63fdsnr likes this.
  20. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Last lot.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

63fdsnr, Drewfus and 509garyd like this.
  21. Wardog

Wardog

I miss my coupe ute.

22. Damn that ute is cool!

23. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Great to see Stork and his coupe out again.

Makes one wonder how he fits into it.

Thanks for the photos
    Just goes to show that informal runs can be as goos or better than organised ones.

24. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Great pics.Thanks for posting.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

25. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Geoff--Where did your 3W come from? It looks alot like Sneaky Pete Nash`s one. Is it?

26. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Yep,same car

27. Great lot of pics Geoff, your 3 window really stands out for all the right reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Thanks for the replies, guys.
    Yeah it was a good run, the weather was a bit ordinary and as I sit and write this, this morning it is a far better day. It's always the way though.
    Got to give the coupe a good clean today and a quick once over on the hoist, as I am probably heading down to Port Fairy in it tomorrow for a few days.
    The coupe ute is owned by a local guy I have known for years. Didn't get a chance to talk to him much. So I don't know much about the his ute.
    FB; I will try and get around to see you whilst I am down there. So you can see the 3W. I will also bring down that Veed windscreen frame down for you.
    Stovebolt: it has been a while since I have seen Stork and a lot longer since I had seen the his Sport Coupe. I just knew I had to get bunch of shots of it. We were talking, that hot rod has been on the road 40 years; about 37 of them it it's present yellow form. The paint is still amazing and is real credit to Greg Klun who originally prepped and painted it.
    That sport coupe is probably one of my most favorite hot rods ever.
    Yep, Tinbender; same car. A long story I won't go into. If you go back to page 15, that's about when I bought it off Peter Winnen, almost 3 years ago. It stayed down in Port Fairy in Tony's garage until I brought it home last November. I have been working on it constantly since then.
    Thanks GaryD. I have really enjoyed working on the 3W and I believe I have made it into a much better hot rod in many ways. But I had a great canvas to start with, that had all the hot rod character in the world. I think I have just added and improved on what was there to start with!

Geoff aka whodaky

Stovebolt likes this.
  29. Yeah man that'd be great. It'll be good to catch up.

30. rattlesnakehoey

rattlesnakehoey
    from Australia

Beautifully simple Geoff.