Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead stalling/sputtering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Danger_Jake, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Danger_Jake

Danger_Jake

Okay so I'm kinda stumped here:

Background: 50 ford, 8ba, motor is stock but converted to 12v

A week ago I ran out of gas, I know I'm stupid, had a gas can in the back. Filled about 5 gallons. Car started right up idled fine. Made it about a mile down the road and it started stalling, sputtering running like shit, limped it back to work.

Figured it was some shitty older gas so I put some dry-gas in it topped off the tank with fresh gas. Started easier, idled fine, zero problems in first gear driving around the lot and still no problems after running around the block once. Second time around the block it started bucking and sputtering, let off the gas and it idles fine. Parked it starts up fine idles fine, give it some gas and started to sputter and stall at around 3 grand let off the gas idles fine.

I'm stumped

Today started easy drove fine around the block twice, third time it wanted to stall again, parked and I could rev it all day no problems.

What I'm getting at is this seems completely random, nothing consistent.

Right now my guess would be a crack in a fuel line somewhere sucking air, does that sound right?

Any guesses?

2. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Crack in the fuel line would also leak fuel. Might have been bad gas. Might have sucked up some crud from the fuel tank. Do you have a see thru fuel bowl? Check your fuel filter. Are you running a mechanical or an electric fuel pump? Might have to blow your fuel line out. Check your carb. Maybe your float is sticking. If not that, check your vacuum line. Check your timing. Sometimes, the distributor will come loose on a flathead. It shouldn't but it does once in a blue moon. "Check your tune up".

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

look at the heads! look where the valves are! it is a wonder they run at all.

elmore64 likes this.
  4. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

A flathead motor can run with only one head.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    drifters cc and Texas Webb like this.

5. How did all these old lawn mowers run?:D

6. Sounds like you sucked up a load of crap. Try cleaning the carb.
    There is a whole list of other things that you could check but carb would be the first ting I looked at.

Oh @49ratfink that's just plane (or is it plain?) mean man. Not to say that I don't like it.:D

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

sometimes the truth is brutal. someone needs to tell these flathead guys the truth.:)

Flathead Dave likes this.
  8. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As others have said , it sounds like a fuel supply problem. It will rev all day while parked as it requires a lot less fuel to run parked rather than the larger demand driving . I think you need to check filters and blow backwards through the lines case there is crud on the end of the pickup or near it.

9. threewindow

threewindow

sounds like a bad condenser. first thing I always check

10. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

HEY, HEY, HEY.....HAHAHAHAA

11. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

12. rfraze

rfraze

Had a similar problem that turned out to be a small piece of something (possibly torn from a rag) that floated around in bottom of tank until it got sucked over the supply line. Can you tell if you have fuel pressure at carb when it starts coughing?

Does anyone make a temporary inline fuel pressure gauge that could be read inside the car? I am picturing a sender you put in line to carb with remote gauge in car temp wired to sender and power.
    There must be.

13. When it happened to me, I found that the crud in the gastank got sucked up the line and plugged up the carburetor. Had to cleand the carb, the fuel filter, blow out the line and eventually replaced the gas tank as it just wouldn't stop. When you got to the last drops in your tank you may have sucked up any bad stuff that had settled to the bottom. Just my guess.

14. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Had the same problem with a non HAMB car and it was the sock on the end of the fuel pump. Happened right after fueling up. Of course it was the last place I looked. Replaced sock and that fxed it.

15. Mart

Mart

You have probably clogged a filter in the fuel delivery system somewhere. If you have a filter, clean or change it. Try blowing air (gently) back up the fuel line. (Not 100 psi). Check the needle valve in the carb.
    It sounds to me like only a certain amount of fuel is able to get through, once demand goes above that level it falters.

Mart.

16. 32owner

32owner

had same problem fuel filter was plugged and had shit in tank it would run fine start fine then it would suck up crap under power cleaned and replaced lines tank fine now