Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need help on what to do with this car...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Forty61, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Forty61

Forty61
    from DFW

This afternoon I washed it down, pulled out the ratty carpet (the floors aren't too bad and actually had rubber), rattle-canned the wheels and polished the hubcaps/trim rings. This weekend I will assess the motor a little further and do some more tidying up of the messy parts. I figure for less than $100 I can get it looking presentable.. I will add more pictures as I go!

2. The Stupid baker people down here would pay stupid money for that.
    May be worth a little more in a few years time.
    Have fun with it.

3. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

It's a $500 car.maybe once you do head gasket might open a can of worms,or end up losing bottom end.if it has sentimental value,like grandpa had one when you were a kid or you just love it keep it. Do a hamb poll.

4. IMG_1473409767.853177.jpg THIS is a $500 car. No reg or title, every piece on it is f-ed up. Animals need to be evicted. If it has a motor or trans it's seized. Black mold everywhere. etc, etc.

Any old 60's 4 door econobox on the road like his is $2500 or $3500, more even, all day long. Maybe in the 1990's it's a $500 car, or to you it's a $500 car, but times have changed. Junk yards are now listing their useless piles from the 60's as "project cars" for thousands. The days of grabbing a running old car for $300 and using it as a daily beater are far gone, unless someone is doing you a favor.

raidmagic and Moondog13 like this.
  5. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Styling- wise I would fit some skirts to it and lower the rear a bit.

6. Zykotec

Zykotec

Throw a tubegrill and some paint on it, then new wheels and slam it. Quick and dirty photoshop reveals a tiny bit of potential. 10 years ago 'everyone' would have put a straight axle under and a 'fuelie' hemi inside it though.
    [​IMG]

raidmagic and Sting Ray like this.
  7. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

image.png image.png Tons of od rod dry climate project cars in California way below $2500,times have not changed for for undersible cars.here are a few in my area clunker

8. Forty61

Forty61
    from DFW

Man I actually really like that.. Once I figure out the situation with the drivetrain something like that may be the way to go..

jeffd1988 likes this.
  9. If it were my car before I did much with it at all I would see about repairing it and getting it running and driving (and stopping too).Once that was done I would then decide if I wanted/needed a grocery getter or not. If I did not want or need a grocery getter I would look for a struggling single mom and make sure that she owned it.

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Donate it too your local high school shop class.

11. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

And so... if it were MY car
    1) repair to a start, run, drive.
    2) just ENJOY the FACT that its the ONLY one with in a 1000 mile radius /
    circle that is running driving and stopping.
    3) now later IF YA HAVE TO (not me) wheels-n- tires

:cool:

12. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

Head gasket and carpet. That all i would do and drive it. Leave it as is after.

13. Andrew Mccann

Andrew Mccann
    from Bristol UK

I'm digging this. Got a European look about it. Nose of a 5 series BMW and the ass of a big ol W114 Merc saloon. Lots of people would pay good money for that shark nose look.
    Too many doors? No way

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Paint it yellow, add a Checker beltline.
    Stick around if ya need a good rhyme.

Charge adults a quarter, kids a dime...
    Double your money in half the time. (Folsom slang for $25, $10 respectively)

15. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Lower it, put some different wheels on it..(Not necessarily fancy) and drive it..
    It is kinda cool :)

16. True enough, those are pretty good, looks like in So Cal there are still deals. I lived there for a long time and got a lot of good deals, but that was years ago.

Now, for even undesirable cars (like 4 door 60's economy cars) up here in New England people want a lot of $$$, especially if they are on the road with paperwork. Anything under, say $2000, is too clapped out to do anything with. He could probably sell that Stud up here for $3000 just fixing the head gasket, maybe vacuuming it out.

17. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Not a lotta respect for the old Studie. Decent cars, this was the end of the run so all the mechanical bugs were worked out of them. Exciting, no, dependable, yes. And as was said, when and where did you see another one? Fix it, drive it, enjoy. You might be suprised how much you can get for it with a solid body and good chrome. The cars continued production in Canada till 66, I believe some where in late 65 early 65, they started putting chevy 6 and V8 engines in them, they were less expensive than casting more Studebaker Engines. so you know 235/283, 327, 350 will go in with factory mounting parts. check this out