Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods PCV on a Y block Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38fordpickup, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Seeing the thread on installing a PCV system on a 327 Chevy has me thinking that I would like to do the same on the 272 Y-block in my '55 Ford. Currently the engine is bone stock. I found a stuck 312/4 barrel in a '57 Mercury at the local boneyard, car rusted to pieces. Got the heads, intake, carb, air cleaner, and distributor off the 312. Plan to get the heads redone, rebuild the carb and distributor, and run it on the 272. Sentimental about the car because my parents bought it new and I learned to drive on it. Anyway, I'd like to convert to a PCV system while I'm at it. I know that Ford made Y-blocks up through '64 at least in trucks, and that California was requiring PCV systems by the early '60s. I'm in Georgia, so not likely to find a junk 292 with the California-specific parts around here to put a PCV system on my 272. Does a late 292 with California emissions mount the PCV valve in the oil filler tube, in the valley cover, or in one of the valve covers? I assume that there is a block-off plate that goes in place of the crankcase breather and road draft tube. I have a nice set of Mercury valve covers that I plan to use, don't want to drill any holes in them for a PCV. Anybody on the left coast have a junk early '60s 292 with the California specific parts? I've never actually seen a Y block with PCV, so I really don't know what the parts I'm looking for look like. Anybody have pictures of a Y block with a factory PCV system on it?

2. sunbeam

sunbeam

Plug your road draft tube of and add a fitting to your valley pan Y blocks don' t put much oil to the upper engine so you shouldn't have to worry about oil in the PVC system like a SBC. Also don't let that 312 crank get away.

3. That sounds simple enough.

4. Yeah,I would go back and get that seized block

Oldmics

5. On a 365 Caddy motor I cut the draft tube off where the tube starts and made an adaptor to fit a pcv valve then plumbed a hose from that into the inlet manifold.
    I had to make a baffle plate to go directly under the d/tube fitting to stop any chance of oil pickup.
    You couldn't draw from the filler tube as you would be drawing from the breather and not the crankcase.

6. Hello you make the conversion using a later valley cover with the hole in the back .For PCV valves being used in the valley covers, I use the Microgard 2322 PCV valve. These fit nicely in the ‘HELP 42323’ rubber grommets which also fit the rear hole in the valley covers that originally used the road draft tubes or PCV valves at the back locations. On those covers, I typically have to remove the ¼-20 threaded stand in the center of the hole to allow the PCV to be fully seated.I got mine over ebay but ford-y-bolck sells new ones. 20150428_182029.jpg

texkbc likes this.
  7. That's exactly what I was thinking!

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Here's a picture I have posted before, it's the way the PCV was done on the Y Blocks in Ford pickup trucks in the 60s.
    292_pcv_cdd3430b0752db899906bdcd3426f60394236bcf_8bb8a6290cf579d440843d42e14d48f689da91cf.jpg

9. The 312 I pulled the parts off of was a sad sight. The car had been sitting in a field since 1966. Don't think anybody ever changed the oil on the poor thing. The sludge buildup under the valley cover and valve covers looked like asphalt. Next time I saw it, though, somebody had bought the short block and transmission out of it. The diagram above and the photo of the valley cover is very helpful.

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That's too bad, that block and crank would have been worth having.
    I'm turning into somewhat of a Y block hoarder myself with a spare 312 block and crank along with the extra 292 to go along with the 292 block with the 312 crank that was built for my RPU. :)

11. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If your aircleaner has a provision or you can add it. You can still find sealed push on breather caps with a hose provision to go to air cleaner. Gives a closed system instead of an open one. Not a big deal.

Not to go OT, but one of the other sites has reports that a new 292 crank with the 312 stroke might be in the works. Best combo, the smaller mains (so no cracks in the main webs), the easy to get almost works 292 rear main seal, and offset ground for a stroker. Most 292 blocks will go to 340 CID with the right combo.

12. George

George

Sounds like the '65 Galaxie my parents had, probably the results of using Quaker State exclusively in it.

13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I found all the parts on a 63 or 64 f100 to convert the Y block that will be going back in my 55 to a PCV system.