Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods what kind of Big Block Chev do I have?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wildwest, Aug 31, 2016.

1. wildwest

wildwest

It's kind of a neat car, it's pretty well built and has a bunch of good parts including wilwood front brakes, a chromed-out Corvette rear end, and a pretty damn nice original body. I'm not a big fan of the fenders and wheel/tire combo but oh well. It was sitting in a nice warm garage un-used for 14 years before I bought it. If I didn't already have a Highboy project I would keep it and change some stuff to make it more my taste. I am hoping for about $16k out of it.

2. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

I may be old with bad eyesight but that code is BC not BG. That hash tag is not deep enough to be a G. Try BC and see if that works. I love the car looks like it had to be built by a racer to me. As they say it will pass everything except a gas station HAHA.

3. Gotta say I would vote BG,my eyes are rooted but not that bad.
    IMHO

4. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

It's definitely 7BG...that front distributor mount setup is worth some good coin too...

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Whoever heard anything by the Bee Cees???

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a TV as a monitor (big and clear) and that's a G without a doubt. The lower 'hook' of the letter runs too close to center to be a C. Unless some really silly "wives tale" mistakes were made I'd bet that motor makes scary HP. Could be why it sat so long, too hairy for the street, a frame twister(!), maybe couldn't get good fuel. Lots of possibilities on that score. Had a local street race dude with a Model A coupe, blown 540, full cage, couldn't make a straight pass for love or money. The TQ would twist the whole works so bad it pulled the left rear wheel fwd, which logically steered the car right, which then had him try to correct left. Scary? I saw that thing "3 wheel" more than once at the track. Lack of traction on the street made it better but not enough to feel right. This one reminds me of that.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Someone put a fat stack of cash into that engine.

8. oldolds

oldolds

I would pull that motor out, put in a cleaned up used small block. You will sell the car faster for the same money. Then sell that motor or put it in a car with more chassis.

9. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

maybe its a restamp? I cant tell if the factory broach marks are there or not. Post a picture over at team chevelle, those guys know the fonts pretty well.
    I have an engine on the shelf that came in a Nova. Guy I bought the car said "its got an LT-1 in it"..so I check the codes looking for a CTB, CTC, etc.. and I find a few numbers, what could be someone's initials, and a big "LT1" stamped into the deck! I said "your right, it is an LT-1 :D

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well sure. He would need to buy them by the gross, and it sure would help prevent ever breaking any drivetrain components.

falcongeorge likes this.
  11. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

"plys" meaning plural. You will need several pairs for the rear.

falcongeorge likes this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

I'm still on my original set of L78-15s, and I have a very similar motor, with a blower on top. But I did cheat, and scoot the axle forward a bit.

It's probably a 500 or so hp motor, should be fun in that car. I'd just drive it around and have fun with it, but I"m an idiot.

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

color me "idiot"as well. I'd put some fenders on the back and drive it. It is what it is, and its a good one.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is it me, or are the driveline angles a little, well, steep?
    [​IMG]

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Gimpy, if you look close it might be just laying in there. Looks like some stuff hangin down besides the header. Is the trans out for clutch work or service? I mean it looks way off for sure but I assumed it was being worked on.

falcongeorge likes this.
  16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope so.