Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 5 Alternatives to 5 Spokes of 60s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jun 19, 2014.

1. flamingokid

flamingokid

Me too.Always loved 'em,always will :)

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have nightmares about guys building "gassers" with jackmans. God help us all...Come to think of it, those bolt-on 10 spoke faux spindle mounts look a bit like jackmans...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Actually, I do recall a late sixties C-10 in PHR that had body color jackmans on it, and it looked KILLER. Dark candy red, out of proportion chop (but it kinda worked in a wierd sort of a way) duallie like fenders, and a mega wide tires with a corvette rear end. When I read it on the page, it sounds like inbred Billy-Joe-Bobs dream truck, but it actually really worked, in a wierd sort of a way...

4. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I recall that truck as well George, it had a narrowed fleetside bed with step side fenders on it. While OT for this discussion, it was really a neat truck.

5. 50Fraud

50Fraud

It's just been a restaurant at LAX for as long as I can remember. It's in the middle of all the parking areas.

6. jroberts

jroberts

These may not be traditional enough as they were not available as a Studebaker option until 1964. Still they are pretty cool. They are Halibrand wheels produced for Studebaker.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

str8axle55 likes this.
  7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Halibrand STARMAGS! Not super common, and you are right an option on Studes right up 'till the plug was pulled. There was an add that ran in a couple of magazines in '62 for these that featured a black Ranchero.... Be still my heart! There is currently a set of these less than three miles from my house on a Volvo p1800 that I have been working on the guy to sell....

8. Weasel

Weasel

I'm a big fan of Buick Skylark wires - only problem is the 5" on 5 bolt pattern. Look great on Kustoms and hot rods. My all time favorite '29 Chuck Hoffman's built by Fat Jack Robinson sports a set and I am hoarding several sets of originals.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

need louvers ? likes this.
  9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thats the one. Funny, when you read the description, you think "UGH!!", but it actually REALLY worked.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

100% accurate. As a kid, I'd build models and when they got old or pieces started disappearing, I'd send them to cherry bomb hell. BUT, before doing that, I'd take the 5 spokes and tires off to use on another model car.

By ALL measures, there really is NO other choice.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have a LOT of love for Cragar SS's as well. There are cars out there that I would never put torque thrusts or torque thrust knockoffs on that I would put Cragars on in a heartbeat, and vis-versa. Just depends on the car. Early Chevy IIs for instance are a car I would only use Cragars on.

str8axle55 likes this.
  12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

God, that El Camino looks good enough to eat! Anybody check the prices of these Skylark re-pops lately??!!:eek:

13. Correct. It was never the LAX terminal, though that was the original intent. It's always been a restaurant. It's closed now

14. Those Avanti wheels are bad ass! That El Camino is beautiful.....I would rock Astro Supreme's on it though.....

15. 296ardun

296ardun

Tom and Harry also ran a c/fuel dragster, good guys...these wheels did become popular in the '70s, well made.

The kidney bean Halibrands came out after the "Windowless" first models, which are really rare. I think they might have been made first for Indy cars, but lots of drag cars got fitted with them.

16. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

The Stude' Hals are gorgeous. They look like 14's, no? Chip, I'd love to see a pic of the Volvo with these....sounds like a wonderful combo!

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I was thinking the same thing, those would look AWESOME on a P1800.

18. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I'm not sure he missed it, as the title says, "5 Alternatives". Not a definitive thing. 'Cause man, there are a bunch of cool wheels from this era. Some cheap, some unobtanium to most....all really nifty!

19. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I recall seeing a '34 Ford Tudor in Street Rodder years and years ago that had Pontiac 8 lug wheels on it. The car looked really nice but they didn't go into any details about the installation.

20. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Didn't Chauvin Emmons build this car? Sounds familiar as heck.

21. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Roth ran Astro chrome slots on the Orbitron and Road Agent.

22. Steve Hedke

Steve Hedke

daytona wheels.jpg

Phillips likes this.
  23. Steve Hedke

Steve Hedke

Here's how they look on my '64 Daytona hardtop. Available now from Real Rodder Wheels in Oxnard, CA.

24. Jackman Wheels came out in the early 70's. the company was incorporated in 1973, and that was the year that they built the Very First set of 8 Lug Jackman Spoke wheels - How do I know? I had to talk them into building them for ME! They went on a 1969 Ford E-200 Van!

The Jackman Brothers 32 was one of the Significant 75
    Jackman.jpg

It's been on Ebay a few times over the past year or so. They were originally asking $128,000 buy it now, then it went to Auction style listing and never got over $40k from what I saw (last time was a month or so ago and it only got to like $31k)

need louvers ? likes this.
  25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

We've noticed that lately Danny, and we like it.
    I think I mentioned this on one of the other threads, recently saw an early 60's International Travelall panel that I have seen only a few times over the years and never very close.
    To my surprise this ugly green thing has old style 5 spokes on it but could not get close enough to tell whether they were Amercans or not.
    They actually made it look better than you'd think.