Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1932 frame SBF Speedway motor mounts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LilDuec, Aug 26, 2016.

1. also the bolt that comes with the speedway mounts is shouldered and you can only tighten it up so much. As the bushings smash down you cant tighten them up any more to compensate for the smash and then the motor is some what loose in the mounts. Other people will say they have had no problems with them, but I wont use them again.

LilDuec likes this.
  2. LilDuec

LilDuec

Cool good to know thanks.

3. rexrogers

rexrogers

4. Why not saw them up, move the mount part to the middle and weld them back together? Definitely go the CE biscuits - they are the best.

5. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Hi, long time no see buddy I have done this a few times and have made my own mounts and super easy on the ford block. I would get your vega steering box install or tacked in place. Then decide on the headers and get them, I use ford motor sports ones. I like them because of dump location at the rear. This allows you to run the steering shaft and use one joint . Then the motor on the cherry picker lower her down into the bay. You'll need a few chunks of metal 3/8x 1x6 2 pieces and 3/8 x 4.6 2 pieces . You'll have to drill the holes for the motor and that would be 7/16-14 bolts . I like the bisket style mounts with the u shape that welds to the frame. So you have the motor in place that has the headers on steering on oil filter on with the 90 degree adapter (ford motor sports) . You install the 1x6 with the two holes on the motor and find a good location for the bisket mounts. The passenger side is easy but the drivers side has the crap in the way. You motor mounts are just a simple T and shape drill and weld that 4x6 metal to the 1x6 . Tack the biskets in place and your good. I may have a set of headers and motor mounts done already. I have a bitchen idea for the alternator it's a smog pump bracket for a 1968 bronco. It will mount the alternator low on the passenger side.

LilDuec likes this.
  6. LilDuec

LilDuec

What's up John!!!!! Yeah I'm FINALLY starting/finishing the build on the coupe and gonna a try try try TRY to get it on the road next spring.
    I had thought about just cutting these speedway mounts up and using them, then today went to Old Dog street rods in St Louis during lunch and just bought some chassis engineering mounts. Boom done over with lol. I'll send ya a pm about the build though John. Thanks!

Attached Files:

7. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

As a chassis builder I have struggled with mounting Ford motors for many years. Ford makes a really great power plant but mounting it in an A/deuce or 33/34 can be a challenge. I used the Speedway Ford mts for a while but had several customers call and tell me the bolt on part of the mount failed and needed to be re welded. Lately I've been using P&J motor mounts which use a factory type engine mount along with a trans mount adapter that uses a Chevy style trans mount which makes life easier. Do I like it? not the best but it's what has been working for me. Dam belly button Chevy's are so easy to mount!

LilDuec likes this.