Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Daily Driver Period Correct Traditional Hot Rod Time Machine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Hey nut!
    Glad you like the philosophy!
    Guys like hiker and you really do "Get It"
    Keep on drivin'!

Hitchhiker and Hot Rod Nut like this.
  2. 300 Miles in. other than dealing with learning how it acts in cold weather and how to dress for a cold ride.I have not done anything.

I do need more power though. Which has me thinking. Either hop up this engine up. Or get the awesome Super Winfield engine fixed and running and put it in this.

Now obviously getting the other engine running is on the list. But I have started to think that maybe I should put that in something a little more race inspired and just get something like a police head or similar. thoughts?

3. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Install the Super Winfield engine. Go on, you know you want to.
    I am about to install my Winfield head and carb/intake on my banger pickup.
    You can always hop up the engine currently in the pickup later, for another build.

4. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Any updates on the insurance situation??

5. Gofannon

Gofannon

Meanwhile slap a small turbo on the existing engine, with minimal boost. Probably give you all the power you need for a daily. Not all that traditional though.

6. haha. I do want to, was just thinking out loud

Nothing yet. Hey btw did you get ahold of barry bower?

I crew for my friends turbo dodge Neon that runs consistant low 12's. so I am very familiar with turbos. Its more work than I really want to do.

on a side note the exhaust gas turbo was invented in 1905....so....

7. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

No, I didn't get hold of Barry. Chris from Braun's Automotive ended up sending me some of Barry's kits that he had in stock. Thanks to V4F for helping me out with the Winfield carburettor kit.

So are you going to swap the winfield engine in then??

Bmartin likes this.
  8. still
    still gotta tear into that one, and figure out what is wrong. but hopefully by summer.

9. On another note, I got the go ahead for repair on the fender. Currently looking for a hamb friendly local metal worker that is willing to deal with insurance and knows what they are looking at.

waxhead likes this.
  10. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

My go-to is @marshall at Thun Field Rod & Custom in T-Town. Word of warning, he is an un-abashed cantakerous ass hole, but one hell of a metal man. He takes his time, but nothing leaves his shop less than perfect. My wife is gonna drop off my tub's rear doors with him as I get closer to coming home, I can just hang them and finish paint when I hit the states.

11. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

Any updates on the adventures with the pick-up?

12. Not much to report. Just driving it. No issues or anything. I'm at about 670 miles....I don't drive much. Haha

Sent from my SM-G900T using H.A.M.B. mobile app

woodz and ROCKER77 like this.
  13. A little over 1561 miles now. I drive it all over. Great little hot rod. Needs more power though and wish I had more room. 1468391089016.jpg 1468391101870.jpg 1468391146637.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    Stogy, mgtstumpy, AHotRod and 8 others like this.
  14. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Looks Great! I agree they are a bit small though. Gary:cool:

Hitchhiker likes this.
  15. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Great little truck -- thanks for showing all of us that driving something like this often really can be done!

Hitchhiker likes this.
  16. Roger53

Roger53

Well damn aren't you have some fun! Roger

Hitchhiker likes this.
  17. 2200 miles in. No real mishaps, except right after my last report the original dash light shorted out and popped the fuse while i was driving. Which in turn killed power to the ignition system and the truck died. Coasted to a stop in safe spot. Tried another fuse. Immediately popped. So I knew I was looking for a short. Popped the dash off. And just had a feeling that the light was the issue (had stopped working a few weeks before) while I was driving and figured it was a bulb. Anyways, disconnected it and tried the last fuse. Didn't pop. Okay good....but then the battery is really sluggish to turn over. So I grabbed the crank and fired her off and that was that.

Note to self: buy new dash light.

Anyways. Having tons of fun.

Stogy and brad2v like this.
  18. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Matt, install 2 fuses, 1 for the ignition and the other for the lighting circuit. (stock harness both yellow wires).
    Then a light will not kill you. Years ago had one car in a tour die right in the middle of the I5 Interstate bridge (between OR & WA). It was a tail light pigtail shorted. Edit: reread post, dash light comes off ammeter...damn...still a killer.

Hitchhiker and Scott Mannion like this.
  19. Scott Mannion

Scott Mannion
    from Scotland

Hand cranking is a valuable life skill!

Hitchhiker likes this.
  20. About 3000 miles on the odometer now. Went on the World Famous Swindlers poker run last saturday. About 225 miles round trip. She did 60 mph on the freeway for an hour there and back. Used about 3 gallons of water (blown head gasket) and half a quart of oil.(not great) the next day the battery was dead. I figured it was the hour on the freeway with the brights on draining the battery. So charged it and drove to work on Monday. Damn thing was dead when I came back out! So crank started it again(becoming a valuable life skill) and drove home. Turns out my battery was shot...so got a new one. Unfortunately it was only 2 years old and only has a 1 year warranty. Bummer. Luckily my local parts store took care of me with a new one at cost. Other than that. Still cruising.
    Here is a Dan Greenberg photo from the run that I stole from his thread.

1475347316188.jpg

Stogy, 55Deso, mgtstumpy and 16 others like this.
  21. That photo makes it look like it was in Hawaii:D
    Did they finally build the bridge?

Hitchhiker likes this.
  22. Had my first cutout stick on me. Digging thru my stash I found a solid state one that looks original. Seems fine now. Also my rear window is leaking...

23. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Pretty common problem. I made a solid state one using a rectifier (diode) from a used forklift control panel. Been fine ever since.

24. Man for a minute I thought I was really loosing it!
    When did they start making solid state exhaust cut-outs?
    I thought the cable ones worked fine!

25. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Oh, sorry, that was Model A speak :rolleyes:

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

anyone remember Cliff Gromer cutting a hole in the airbox of a rented Neon and hitting it with the spray??:p

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Man, that's a cool little truck.

28. Well... One year in to daily driving... About 3,500 miles on it....been a pretty fun year. Didn't realize how little I drive. I may have as much as 2000 more miles in a tow pig pulling a trailer. But that is being pretty generous. This is the car I have used daily for the last year.

Anyways. It's been pretty fun. It's a little cramped. I sure would like a heater, wiper, and a radio. Other that that it's pretty okay. About the biggest problem is the roof leaks. It also needs paint. The constant rain certainly doesn't help with that. The leak makes me think about selling it and getting a 32-40 pickup. I don't know what the future holds. But for now I'll keep driving it. 1480320786810.jpg

Stogy, kiwijeff, Capt Chap and 6 others like this.
  29. very cool!
    is the odometer correct? you did put bigger tires on it and that would make the odometer read lower than the actual miles.
    i understand being cramped in the A, they are just too tight, i drive/drove a 39 GMC as an everyday driver, with a 100+lb. shepherd/Akita mix and it was cramped at times. always seamed like i needed a dry place to store stuff.
    where does the roof leak? that has to be an easy fix.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  30. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Don't sell the pickup, fix the roof and keep on driving.

Hitchhiker and tb33anda3rd like this.