Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. On call sucks. Luckily its not too many times a year. I work at one of the top three cardiac hospitals in the country. We were the first to have in house staff 24- 7 to deal with emergency cases. Now one of three. We also have a on call back up team. The national average for arriving at the hospital to opening a blocked heart artery is around 90 minutes. Our door to balloon times are about 45 minutes. Many times we can do it in less than 30. Time is heart muscle. We see alot of patients without any time to spare. It can get crazy real fast. We are able to do alot of good for alot of people.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    els, kiwijeff, Johnboy34 and 13 others like this.
  2. Most of today was spent setting up the chassis. The tires were set at their proper pressure first. The front and rear suspensions were set equal side to side. The caster was set at seven degrees. The car was then jacked up and the wheels removed. Plumb bobs were dropped at all four corners. The wheelbase was set first with the lower four link bars. We determined the middle of the car and ran a string for referance. We checked the rearend to see if it was square and it was. Measuring from the plumb bob points off the rearend to a point on the center line is how thats done. The toe was also set. The last thing was getting in the car while a friend set the right upper bar so the bolt slides in and out. I like to set mine up with no preload. The shocks were set to qa- 1 specs to start. The rest of the day was spent on the air shifter. The spool had cracked so the co2 was leaking. Last week I ordered a new one from sae. The old style was plastic the new one is aluminium. After switching out spools the second gear shift button was leaking. I pulled it apart and found some dirt on the o ring. Now it all works like it should. Now that the bodies on the rest of the wiring can be wrapped up. The halibrands with the street tires were put on as we anticipate a street drive coming up soon.

els, volvobrynk, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  3. Great progress and I like the insight on your guys cardiac unit. Being a guy that walked into the ER with third degree heart block (although not artery related) sure appreciate your kind of fast response, thank you.

els, racer-x, OahuEli and 1 other person like this.
  4. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Had a tripple bypass at UT Knoxville on June 16 `08.They have a great cardiac unit there.Thank you again Dr Thomas Gaines.Quick cardiac response is a real life saver.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

els and loudbang like this.
  5. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

My 67 Nostalgia ProStock Camaro called "Night Moves" as dressed by the Chicago Brushmasters. I am also hoping to bring the new 77 Monza NPS car. Frank Iaconio is on board to help me create a tribute to the Iaconio and Allen Monza.

Your project is not for the weak at heart.

els and loudbang like this.
  6. No its not. Something is up with the efi. With the key on the injectors are firing without the engine running. The wire loom in about two inches around. I was on the phone with fast for close to two hours today. We did alot of testing. I think we have it figured out. I had to stop working on it so i could go to the day job. I hope to start the car on gas this week. Maybe drive it this coming weekend.

els, volvobrynk, Woogeroo and 6 others like this.
  7. demons be gone the wiring is fixed. the fire bottles went on today. we hung two ten pounders. the special aluminium tubing showed up today for the water returning to the radiator. with the tubing in place I will be able to fill the radiator fire up the car and test the cooling system. I hope its able to keep the temp under control .its a big gamble building the car with the radiator in the trunk

8. squirrel

squirrel

getting close! At least you have a couple days less driving than I do, to get to Ohio :)

els likes this.
  9. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

The big issue won't be idling or the track it will be running down the road I talked with a guy in California that had a 34 coupe with a blown big block and the rad was in the trunk it was Louvered and had big fans like yours he could idle it around cruise the fairgrounds at Louisville no problem temp never got even close to hot but he said he couldn't drive it down the road very far without it wanting to have a meltdown however that was 20 years ago and he was using a marine water pump there have been big advances in pumps in the last 20 years I'm very curious how yours will turn out cause I've had a car in the back of my mind that I want to do this to but I just haven't figured out a clean effective way to do it yet

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  10. Cooling shouldn't be an issue I wouldn't think. He's got twice the radiator I run in my little coupe with the blown hemi in it. My car runs down the road on a 100° day at 180°. Intown or idling stays the same. It's all in controlling the flow don't want it moving to fast or to slow. I had to experiment with different size restrictors because I don't run a thermostat on my setup.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els, Dog_Patch, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  11. I found that the pumps output was critical on the old car. sitting in traffic at a idle it would pick up temp. bringing up the rpm dropped the temp. I was always suspect of the grille causing a restriction. it wasn't designed back in the day to support what I was doing. I have a mezier 55 gallon electric pump on the new car. we have more surface area on the radiator and we have more capacity than before. the radiator is bigger. we also gain some capacity with two 12 lines going from the trunk to the engine on the cold side. on the hot return side there is a single aluminum tube. I think some heat could be lost with the tube. im going to try a thermostat first. I ran a restrictor in the old car. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to one. depending on how things go I might have to add some sheet metal to direct air in and out of the radiator. there is a lot of demand on the cooling system during a 100 degree day pulling a loaded down trailer for hours on end. part of the fun is figuring out how to make it work.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    els, loudbang, tomkelly88 and 2 others like this.
  12. I also put cooling fins on my coolant lines from front to back. I ran it without fins for a while and when I had to redo some stuff I had them out and got bored so i welded fins on them. I'm sure it helped a little but it worked fine without them also. 1472091448239.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els, Dog_Patch, sonic03bluegt and 5 others like this.
  13. looks like you have a messier pump tucked in there. yours looks a little different than mine. I saw some tubing that was similar made by a company that was at pri. if it needs a little more cooling I will try that.

els, mad mikey, volvobrynk and 3 others like this.
  14. the crazy idea of having a dual fuel/dual ignition nitro street car is a reality. we just fired up the car on the gas/efi side. as shown on page 34 of this thread it has run on nitro successfully. it still has to prove it self on the track and street. that will come soon. when i can figure out how to post video here i will. dream big real big then make it reality. life is too short not to.

els, mad mikey, Dog_Patch and 8 others like this.
  15. Awesome, my hat is off and I salute you!

els and racer-x like this.
  16. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

holy cow Jim !! are you going to drive from arizona again ??
    you are THE REAL DEAL !! need to call you iron butt !! LOL
    steven coming too right ?
    we're coming from south of st. louis..
    if it would work out, you guys are more than welcome to stay the night or two here !! if it's on your way at all (arnold,mo.)
    we're signed up, cheryl is racing the model A truck !
    see ya later alligator !!

17. squirrel

squirrel

I'm towing this year, with the 57 Suburban. Bringing Dan as my co pilot, he went with me in 2011 and 13, and on Drag Weekend last fall. See you soon!

now, back to your regularly scheduled program

els, loudbang and volvobrynk like this.
  18. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

groovy !
    you're more than welcome to stay here on your way if it would work out !

els and squirrel like this.
  19. towing this year? be careful its a slippery slope. next thing you know you will have a trailer and a msd.

els, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  20. squirrel

squirrel

I towed the Chevy II out in 2014, it's nothing new. I also learned about covering the carbs that year...rained on it for 3 days on the trailer, engine was full of water, fortunately I figured it out before I tried to crank the engine, pulled the plugs out and cranked it by hand.

els, loudbang and volvobrynk like this.
  21. you got lucky there.

22. Updates ????

els likes this.
  23. lots of updates. I'm having a problem getting on the hamb with my new phone. the one i was using broke. i can't log in this new one. thats how i was posting pics. when i try to log in it won't recognise my password. it wants me to sign up. when i try to do that it says that password is already in use. i have to use the home computer to respond and i don't know how to get the pics posted through it. i need to get ahold of ryan. as for updates. the water tube is in. the front floor is almost done. the tach and directional box are mounted. the front directionals are mounted.the rear license plate is on. the brakes are bled. the header studs are in that work with both sets. shift lite sending unit is in. trailer mostly loaded. the pit pal fold down work table is on the trailer. there is a lot more thats been done. i think we will make it to drag week. we need to finish the floor, finish the wheelie bars, complete the wiring, make a throttle cable, bolt in the seats and harness. my new impact nitro helmet showed up. its very cool. i couldn't use the old one after it was in the crash. i will try to get some pics today. off to go play with the car.

els, milwscruffy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  24. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Delete the app and reinstall it from the App Store. The last update didn't work right, and wouldn't log in any more, but reinstalling fixes it.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. 1472960483792.jpg 1472960495011.jpg 1472960517296.jpg 1472960543591.jpg 1472960560495.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app
    Im still trying to figure out this new phone. I dont know why the pics are side ways. Any way we were checking out the partially completed wheelie bars. Fire bottle lines were routed today. The hand brake was plumbed. Alot of small things that needed welding were done. It was another long day with a few more to come.

els, kiwijeff, enloe and 4 others like this.
  26. squirrel

squirrel

try holding the phone sideways and taking "landscape" pictures with it, instead of the upright "portrait" pictures. There's probably a setting somewhere, that turns on or off the autorotate feature, or something. You can figure it out in a few weeks, when you have some free time!

1472960517296.jpg 1472960560495.jpg 1472960483792.jpg

els, kiwijeff, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  27. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Not too off thread, or perhaps in a separate thread, could you provide some details on your trailer? I suspect your drag week type experiences have really honed down the "gotta have" list of essentials. Gary

els and Finn Jensen like this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

Like they say on funniest home videos "side to side to make them wide".

els likes this.
  29. the rules say 4x8 is the max size. i bring things that i would use for normal maintenance. i also bring things that are specific to my car. if i can't find it at a auto zone i bring it. things like gaskets for a 56 hemi extra push rods a few roller lifters and rockers. i carry all of my fuel and oil. they don't sell nitro at the track. i bring a full set of tools. a case of brake cleaner. a roll of towels a car cover and air tank along with three extra co2 bottles. the oil needs to be changed after each pass so i bring a drain pan. we are under the car a lot and on the ground in general so i bring a pit tarp to lay on the ground. i also bring a few extra things like a pop up canopy. if its raining out and your broke down on the side of the road the canopy can come in handy. mounted to the trailer i have a vice, tool box and tire rack. weight is a big concern. i only take whats needed. if there is a repair thats going to take 8hrs or more you most likely won't make it for the next race on time. i got lucky a few years ago and got a aluminum trailer in a motorcycle deal. i have no money in it so i made it my drag week trailer. when the car goes through tech the trailer has to go through also to make sure it has lights and is road safe. i hope this helps.

30. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Interesting... and thanx, Gary

els likes this.