Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where is the Bill Cushenbery Silhouette?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J. Fitzhugh, Jul 5, 2013.

1. I have no idea where it is but if one of us did wouldn't we then become suspect in its disappearance? ;)

Quick question for the masses, didn't that car have a matching enclosed trailer? Am I thinking of the same car?

2. abone1930

abone1930

3. abone1930

abone1930

I never seen that car before, what did the Mongusta look like. By the way one of my favorite customizers :)

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If he means a De Tomaso Mangusta they look like this
    [​IMG]

5. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Thinking about this post brings backs memories of a me being a 4 yr old kid playing with some of the 1st Hot Wheels.

The split image was one as well as the Jack Rabbit special. Later the Twin Mill & of course the Silhouette. I see Bill Jr. Posted a few years back. Just maybe he has pictures or information that could actually lead to a rebuild of this car if the body is unobtainable.

In the late 80's these cutting edge customs-show rods were regaining fame that was lost in the hi-tech early 80's.
    Roth's Beatnik Bandit was the 1st I seem to remember making the scene again in a restored guise.
    Roth built a High Tech BB II. In the early 90's, which I thought was pretty strange IMHO, but after the Globe Hopper trike it was pretty restrained for Roth.

I hope that it is either found as pieces/whole, restored and shown. Intact it would be cool see just a whole show dedicated to all of the "model" cars in a GNRS Bldg 9 exhibit.
    Can you imagine your whole childhood exposure to these cars sitting right on the floor in front of you in Full Scale?

That would be a helluva draw!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    Spooky likes this.
  6. LOL a lot of 'em I did see full scale. :D At least the ones that were real cars, I think that the twin mill was actually built after the hot Wheels car.

7. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I saw some of them myself, but put them all in one room and bill it as the World of "Hot" Wheels and Show Rods-Kustoms......

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  8. NRA-girl

NRA-girl

Good luck!
    I really wish it could be found.
    Bill was my dad's best friend. Bill never got over it.
    The car was stolen in 1983 in Bakersfield, CA.
    Rumored to have been buried, but just a rumor as far as anyone knows.

9. burned

burned

Bill, I own your dad's "Silhouette II Space Coupe" and we are in the process of restoring it. I would very much like to talk to you about your dad and what if anything you know about this amazing car. We have a website in progress here www.spacecoupe.com SIlhouette II Space Coupe Restoration Project Poster.jpeg

Moriarity likes this.
  10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

11. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Yeah, all the cool stuff is at your house! LOL!
    KK

12. burned, unfortunately that was his (Bill Jr.) only post and has not been back since.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. ...............Yeah, looks like he was last seen on here 29 December 2013, almost 4 yrs. ago.:(

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. alchemy

alchemy

Jay hasn't been on here in over a year either.

15. milo1303s

milo1303s

Hate to dredge up an old thread but did the REAL Cushenberry Silhouette Have a custom made trailer that the AMT model kit came with or not ?
    [​IMG]

edited for the masses

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  16. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Well, based on the information you posted, AMT said "with custom trailer" on the box. So,.........??

17. milo1303s

milo1303s

That doesn't mean the real car had a custom trailer now does it ?

18. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Sorry, reading too fast.

milo1303s likes this.
  19. ksrayjay69

ksrayjay69

Hello Jay, my name is Ray Polley from Wichita Ks. My son-in-law's aunt is married to Larry Cushenberry. We have talked briefly with Larry about the car, he did not have much info. We talked with Gene Winfield a few years back at the LeadSled show in Salina, ks. Man his eyes lit up when son-in-law told him who he was related to. He did not go into anything specific about the car but had a hunch as its whereabouts. Hopefully he will be there this weekend in Salina and maybe get some new info. I had Bills daughters phone number years ago, tried numerous times to contact her, no results. Feel free to call me @316-640-9147 anytime and i will give you my son-in-laws number. This car needs to be found and returned to the family! Thanks, Ray.

Spooky, stanlow69 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. PostwarModernist

PostwarModernist

Any updates on this one?

21. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

I've followed the Silhouette Space Coupe build on Instagram.... it's been at a standstill for the moment. It would be something if the first one, or even enough original pieces surfaced to replicate it showed up.

SS327 and PostwarModernist like this.
  22. RodStRace

RodStRace

Sancho and PostwarModernist like this.
  23. PostwarModernist

PostwarModernist

It never hurts to have as many facts as possible.