Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Has Anyone Ever Run A 1940-48 Steering Box In An AV8?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Felipe Toltecatl, Aug 23, 2016.

1. I did a search on here and didn't come up with much. I know it's been done just wanted to visually see how exactly. Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  2. I'm especially looking for pics.

3. Crankhole

Crankhole

Sorry, no pics but the box just needs to be flipped so that the pitman arm is pointing upwards.

Felipe Toltecatl likes this.
  4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

There have been good posts on using it both likely ways, drag link with pitman turned 180 and as cross steer.
    Remember that '37-48 Ford used the same box, varying only in having a number of different shaft lengths and a variety of pitman arms. I think you need to search by single years, as in "1939 steering" to track them. No one is going to use "1940-48", they are going to call out the year of what they found...which could be any of the years '37-48.

5. Ok thanks!

6. rcavaliers

rcavaliers
    from downey

I am using one in my A sport coupe. Using it cross steer with an Olds, wprks perfect

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Tons over the years, more back in the day than now. Look at Niekamps Model A, or Bud Parhams T to name two that will be easy to find. Did Anderson do that on his Olds powered T?

8. wcben

wcben

To go along with the same question, was there a pitman that allowed itself to be flipped easily? I'm got a 41 pickup box that I'll be using....

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

File the 4 'master keys' away on the inner splines.

wcben likes this.
  10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Back in '76, Pete Chapouris told me he and Jake were surprised at the number of old hot rods that came in with '40-'48 cross steer boxes. (the number rivaled the 'side-steer' types) So much, in fact, that the Vega box was selected as a replacement for the excellent application of the 'system'.
    But the demand for 'side-steer', along with their revolutionary 4 bar, morphed into the underslung bracket and flopped Mustang box.
    Hmmph. 'Progress...'

falcongeorge likes this.
  11. wcben

wcben

Thanks Mike! That's what I was thinking too!

Atwater Mike likes this.
  12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Not really relevant to the thread, but after I posted about looking up the Niekamp and Parham cars , I googled "Bud Parham" just because I wanted another look at his pu, and it is the first thing that came up.
    I started thinking about the implications of that. The guys building these rods that go on to become famous had no inkling of the internet, and probably no inkling that nutcases like me would be searching photos of thier cars 65 years later. They just set out to build a fun, fast car from cast off ford parts, but they have attained a kind of immortality. And how cool is it that 65 years later, when you type "Bud Parham" into the worlds most popular search engine, the first hit is a relatively obscure hot rod that some gas station owner built in the PNW 65 years earlier?
    Sorry for waxing philisophical there, but it really struck me.

Fly'n Kolors likes this.
  13. Is this the kind of Photo you want? It's a 40 box set up cross steer on a 39 Axle in a Model A-V8 chassis.
    The Wizzard
    P1010158.JPG

14. Garpo

Garpo

My A V8 has had a 48 box for the last 40 odd years set up for cross steer. The car's builder found that the chassis rail twists when some effort is put into steering (parking) Chassis cracked eventually. Have someone work the wheel while you look at the steering box mounting. Problem was overcome by making up a tube cross member to link chassis rails under the engine.
    This set up works well.
    Garpo

15. Gee, I wonder if that funny looking motor mount might keep the frame rail from twisting while parking?
    The Wizzard

falcongeorge and Hitchhiker like this.
  16. Garpo

Garpo

Found a couple of pictures taken during rebuild. SDC14448.JPG SDC14607.JPG SDC14607.JPG SDC14448.JPG SDC14607.JPG

17. 20160908_171757.jpg 20160904_180327.jpg

18. I ended up just fabbing up a piece. It did the job well enough.

19. I used the original '40 mount bracket and box in my 33 frame. Had to slot the mount holes a little more to get the right angle. As was said earlier, the frame rail twisted a bit under steering input and I had to alter the left header to clear the steering box.
    My Pictures0034.jpg

20. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Yes, it was common early hot rod trick and works well when you box the rails and don't want to cut a big hole in your boxing plates, here it is on my '32
    20160820_150217.jpg